Devolver Digital has announced it will publish Gods Will Be Watching, the point-and-click title from Deconstructeam.
Set for release on Steam in June as well as Humble and GOG for PC, Mac and Linux, the game tells the story of a research team that has to face a strange world with ethical problems and other challenges.
The game combines elements such as “despair, commitment and sacrifice with intelligent puzzles” in which the decisions made by the players have a direct influence on the mood and the state of the crew.
In the game, Sgt Burden and his interstellar crew will, through six intense chapters, experience hostage-taking, having to deal with bioweapons, and be put through strange torture scenarios – each decision is “extremely far-reaching: and the player must constantly choose between the fate of his team and the fate of the whole world.
Here’s a bullet list of features:
- An innovative departure from the traditional point and click adventure taking place in six intimate, tension-filled scenarios linked together through an epic narrative of interstellar espionage.
- Set morals aside as you navigate Sgt. Burden and his team through harrowing predicaments and make decisions that will either save your team or sacrifice their lives for the sake of the mission.
- Solve a wide variety of narrative puzzles and moral dilemmas using your own wits and burden the consequences of your choices. Do you intimidate or comfort your hostages to maintain your tenuous control of the situation? Should you kill the weakest member of your party to save on food for the strong? What is one life worth in the face of annihilation?
- Receive your judgment from the gods upon failure and compare your choices to all other players in the universe over time.
- Over 1,500 beautifully designed sprites tell your story against 15 stunning backgrounds and an emotionally stirring orchestral soundtrack.
“Our team wanted to create a new variety of Point’n'Click adventures and give the player the feeling that his decision far-reaching and sometimes very dark consequences , “said Jordi de Paco, the founder of the developer Deconstructeam.
“We are aware that Gods Will Be Watching the original paths of the genre leaves – but we see this as an opportunity to put the weight of the decisions made by the player in a new light.”
Deconstructeam and Devolver Digital will be showing the game at SXSW in Austin, Rezzed in Birmingham, and PAX East in Boston.