South Park: The Stick of Truth has censored abortion & anal probe scenes in Europe – report

Tuesday, 25th February 2014 13:08 GMT By Dave Cook

South Park: The Stick of Truth reportedly has seven censored scenes in Europe, The Middle East and Africa.

UPDATE: our local Ubisoft rep has been in touch to say that the censorship is purely a marketing decision and that the scenes are also censored in the UK.

ORIGINAL STORY: BT.com reports that the scenes in question have been replaced with on-screen text that describes what’s happening behind the censorship.

The site adds that documentation sent with its review copy confirms that a mini-game involving a doctor performing an abortion on the player and again with the player performing the same procedure on Randy Marsh, as well as five anal probe scenes have been censored.

The accompanying literature adds, “Seven scenes of about 20 seconds each are censored in the EMEA console versions of South Park: The Stick of Truth. The decision to cut this content from the game was made by Ubisoft EMEA.”

AGB has scanned the document in full here.

Meanwhile; the Australian edition also has anal probe scenes edited out.

What do you make of the above?

1. kaffikjelen

Well that sucks.

#1 9 months ago
  2. POOhead

“same procedure on Randy Marsh”

expect a full article from brenna about how the game is sexist

#2 9 months ago
  3. silkvg247

I’m assuming this includes the UK version?

Then I have no choice but to cancel my preorder. Obviously it doesn’t affect me in a massively negative way, but I strongly believe in voting with my wallet and I will not, and have not ever, supported censorship in any way, shape or form. It’s an evil, abhorrent, insulting and downright un-necessary thing that needs to go away.

Those that accept it are leading us to a future where we no longer have freedom over what we can read, write, view, draw, laugh about, joke about or even think about.

#3 9 months ago
  4. OlderGamer

Really? It is South Park, not Hello Kitty Online Adventure…too bad about the censorship folks.

#4 9 months ago
  5. karma

Fuck!

But then, ray of hope.

“South Park: The Stick of Truth appeared to remain intact in the UK, where it bears a PEGI 18 rating. We’re waiting to hear from Ubisoft on the matter.”

#5 9 months ago
  6. silkvg247

Does nobody find it infuriating and ridiculous (and scary!) that a board of moderators can have any say on what you, as an adult, are allowed to view? There should be the sum total of 0% censorship on any adult rated game.

Are they going to ask the South Park creators to make censorships to the EU broadcasts of the show next?

Man.. it makes me see red..

#6 9 months ago
  7. silkvg247

@karma I hope so, I am going to need evidence. Even so, I still think the whole matter of censorship needs to be fought.

#7 9 months ago
  8. fihar

A mini-game on abortion?
    That’s bold.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Fin

“mini-game involving a doctor performing an abortion on the player”

Yerrrr, I’m alright with this being cut.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Bomba Luigi

In the TV Show they can do whatever they want, nothing is censored here. But dear you Videogames try to do the same….

fuck that, I will look for a US-Version on the PS3. Thank God that thing is Region Free.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Iliad

I see your censorship and raise you a cancelled pre-order.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Prof.Dr.Moertel

” that the censorship is purely a marketing decision”
    They should patch it back in after a few months if that’s the case.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Mus42

Sounds like future DLC

#13 9 months ago
  14. TheWulf

Hm. Hang about, they specifically mention the console versions as being censored, which is very interesting. Does this mean, perhaps, that the PC version isn’t? Then again, it’s not exactly hard to get American versions of software for Steam. (That’s how I was playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes long before its actual UK release. Thank you, Nuuvem!)

So even if it is censored for the PC, there are options available to get around that. But if it isn’t censored for the PC in the first place… well, that’s amusing but very odd. Why only consoles?

#14 9 months ago
  15. j0rdan

well this sucks balls why cut it out ? i can not see the point of doing this but not just this i mean cutting anything out out the game because its a south park game like its all ready an 18 so they should be able to put what the hell they want in and like most if not all of the people who are going to buy and play it are going to be south park fans so its not like its ote they will of not watched or seen before hand

#15 9 months ago
  16. Mike W

@j0rdan

I agree, what’s the fucking point of the rating on the box if they’re going to cut the shit out?

#16 9 months ago
  17. Legendaryboss

Yep. thats happening.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Dragon

Personally, I am not a big fan of what I consider crass humour in South Park, and this game was never on my radar (I wont bitch about how I don’t like this game on every thread like a silly hater) , but I would completely agree with the anti-censorship sentiments here, especially in the wake of them being “marketing decision” and not something forced upon by PEGI.

Hopefully, people here would take the same views on other games they don’t like, and don’t beat the censorship drum there.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Tormenter

IT’S ONLY CENSORED ON THE CONSOLES… THE PC VERSION IS UNTOUCHED.

Confirmed on twitter by Ubisoft… ALSO.. it DOESN’T HAVE UPLAY :D

It’s a Steamworks game because that’s what the deal was while it was in development with THQ.. If you buy it from Ubisoft you get a Steamkey.

#19 9 months ago