Kiefer Sutherland says he’s involved in a Mortal Kombat game

Saturday, 22nd February 2014 18:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Kiefer Sutherland has said in an interview with IGN that he is involved in an upcoming Mortal Kombat game. Speaking with the site during an interview regarding playing Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain he said: “I did Mortal Kombat, and that’s such a huge game, but it’s so not like [MGS5].” Sutherland said he finished his role in the Mortal Kombat title “pretty quickly compared to [MGS5],” which he spent over a year working on with Kojima Productions. While Warner Bros. Interactive has yet to announce a new game in NetherRealm’s series, there have been rumors of a new title coming in 2015 in tandem with a film.

1. Talkar

I would love another Mortal Kombat game! Have the 2011 release on PS3, PS Vita and PC x)

#1 7 months ago
  2. salarta

I’ve looked for news on the next MK game every so often. The Mortal Kombat 9 was enjoyable and finally did a lot of good things with the story, which was one of those things I said all along that the series really needed to start taking advantage of.

Chances are pretty good that I’ll only be interested if either Kitana is in it, or both Kitana and Mileena are not in it. The two were created to play off each other like Sub-Zero and Scorpion, and I really don’t like when I see Mileena put on a pedestal purely because of her sex appeal while Kitana gets completely ignored. That’s not to suggest that the game would be automatically “bad” if only Mileena’s in it, but character favoritism that includes disregarding their opposite half tends to kill my interest.

#2 7 months ago
  3. The_Red

@salarta I am a huge fan of MK but absolutely agree with you. MK Deception was a great game (IMO) but having only Mileena and then purely using her as the sex appeal / cover girl was bad. She did have a nice role in story but back then, story mode was all about end cards and other limited stuff like most fighters.

Their story in MK9 was much better (Although I wish there was a bit more time give to Mileena and she had more scenes with Kitana or Shao Kahn). Can’t freaking wait for MK10. Bring it on!

#3 7 months ago
  4. salarta

@The_Red I bought and played Deadly Alliance and greatly enjoyed it, but I only rented Deception, and the same was true for every game afterward until MK9. MK9, I enjoyed a lot more than Deadly Alliance. I was also surprised by just how long story mode was, and I mean that in a good way.

I think some people do like Mileena for her craziness and all that, but I think most see her only as a sex object, which is the same problem I see in a lot of the fandom for Rydia in FF4 compared to Rosa. It’s disappointing to see good things taken for granted because some people just can’t appreciate one half of the formula. I think it works best if on Kitana’s end Mileena is like her dark side she’s trying to ignore and quell, and on Mileena’s end Kitana is this figure she needs to get out of the shadow of due to being her clone. That’s not saying everything about the characters needs to be wrapped up in each other, but I think that’s a strong point for them. That’s my opinion, anyway.

I actually think the fact Kitana has so much more story time than Mileena in MK9 makes up for the imbalance of Netherrealm hyping up Mileena and only acknowledging her when it came to marketing. Before the game released, if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, Mileena was the ONLY female character Netherrealm was highlighting. I remember they were showing off various characters and their opposite halves, but then there was Mileena representing all the women of the game. Though I should mention, Netherrealm later acknowledged the dynamic between Kitana and Mileena for the Vita version commercials, and I appreciated that.

#4 7 months ago
  5. ER_Mac3

YES! Bring MKII already. Can’t wait for the alternate Netherrealm invasion! Bring Tanya, Reiko, Ashrah (redesigned, and before Datusha btw, leave her holiness for MKIII), Noob Saibot, Sareena, Kia and Jataaka and we’ll have the face and feel of Netherrealm and the Brotherhood of Shadow right into the game!!
    Just can’t figure out how they’re gonna revive the [whole] cast again. Last time it was Cage, but now things took a whole new level LOL

#5 7 months ago