Ryse: Son of Rome’s Challenge Editor will not be released, says Microsoft

Friday, 21st February 2014 15:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ryse: Son of Rome’s Challenge Editor, which was to be implemented using the SmartGlass app, will no longer be released for the gladiator game, Microsoft has confirmed.

ryse_son_of_rome

The challenger editor would have allows players to create objectives and a map for cooperative mode, which could then be uploaded. The game was missing this component at launch, but was promised for a later release.

A Microsoft spokesperson has told Polygon that the Challenge Editor has now been scrapped entirely.

“After careful consideration, we have decided to cease development on Ryse: Son of Rome’s challenge editor and focus on improving and expanding fans’ experience with the game through both free content updates and purchased add-on packs,” the spokesperson said. “We look forward to sharing more details soon.”

Sources close to the site have said the Challenge Editor was scrapped due to lower than expected review scores for Ryse.

A new DLC pack titled Mars’ Chosen, which includes a new co-op survival game mode, four new maps, and a character skin free for owners of the season pass. It will cost $8.99 for those who are not season pass holders.

It releases next week on February 28.

1. yeoung

Aye, that seems like it takes a lot of effort to implement. Making costume packs and arenas seems much, much simpler by comparison. Kind of like when you buy a car and it turns out the windows don’t roll down, but they went ahead and promised to put streamers on the back to compensate.

I could be entirely too cynical here but “we have decided to cease development on Ryse: Son of Rome’s challenge editor and focus on improving and expanding fans’ experience with the game” kinda seems like they forego ‘expanding the experience’ and opt to monetize/salvage whatever marketability is left as cost-effectively as possible. And altogether woefully predictable and sad state of affairs.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Djoenz

Thats a big failure imo wow.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Delsin Row

is anyone stupid enough to buy this game??!!

#3 5 months ago
  4. RickGames

Ms just arent getting a break, this comes after the 40 bucks tryout download thing they are doing, this game is just going down the drain.

if this was a year after release then yeah, i may get it, but what, 3 months in?!?! the console hasnt even been released all over the world and they are slowly backing away from this game that is actually their biggest game… they sure do know Titanfall is gonna do huge things…

by the way, is it just me, or have ms been completely silent about anything X1??? well except the download patch thing.

#4 5 months ago
  5. NocturnalB

I feel very torn in terms of games journalism as of late in regards to review scores and their real life implications to the development of the games they critique.

On one hand I feel like it’s a good thing because it can and has helped to remove, reshape and alter bad aspects in games of the past.

On the other hand, I don’t like that it could cause dev studios and production companies (much like cinema) to be less inspired and creative and instead take the safer path in terms of new development.

But I guess that’s kind of a personal question everyone has to settle with themselves at some point.

As far as Ryse goes I’ve gotten my hands on it a couple times, I enjoyed the visuals and gameplay so far, can’t really speak on the story as I haven’t really had a chance with it. I think this editor would have been a lot of fun personally.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Maguire82

#3 Yeah I brought the game and the story and the game play was really good IMO. For me it was worth the money and I’m on my second go round on the story on legendary. I gather this game is not to everyone’s taste but I wouldn’t write off a game I hadn’t even played.

#6 5 months ago