Titanfall will require EA’s Origin service

Wednesday, 5th February 2014 08:23 GMT By Matt Martin

Respawn boss Vince Zampella confirms move, open beta inching closer to release

20140108_titanfall

Upcoming mech shooter Titanfall will require EA’s Origin service on the PC, according to Respawn boss Vince Zampella.

The co-founder of the studio answered questions on Twitter last night, confirming the requirement and urging fans to “give Origin a try for the beta, costs you nothing.”

Speaking of the forthcoming beta, Zampella noted that the team will “need to put a build through certification and pass before we officially announce a date for beta.”

It’s not far off now.

Later in the evening he also announced minimum specs for Titanfall on PC. Boom.

1. Llewelyn_MT

Actually, time is priceless. It’s a buggy resource hog. It may be better than 2 years ago, but it’s still a necessary evil, rather than a digital platform of choice.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Panthro

Is there any reason why Respawn got EA to be the publisher?

#2 11 months ago
  3. GrimRita

Then this is now off my list. I don’t need Origin to play games thank you, as I have Steam. No Steam = no sale

#3 11 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Dumbest reasoning ever. Origin and Steam is essentially the same damn thing, a resource running in the background while you game.

I’m on a system from 2009 and i can play origin games just fine with no slowdown whatsoever.

Are you one of those uneducated ones who think Origin is spyware aswell? Jesus christ.

#4 11 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

Say what you want HCW87, but I am the same way no Steam = no sale for me either when it comes to PC games. Steam is THE platform on PC. Supporting Origin will only mean that every tom dick and harry will want their own platform. and that will spread the community out and be more trouble then it is worth.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Hcw87

I love steam aswell, but choosing not to play a game because it requires Origin is beyond stupid.

#6 11 months ago
  7. OlderGamer

But people do it all of the time Hcw.

Super Mario World 3D is one of the greatest games ever made. Has the same problem. Knack out sold it. Knack…

The Saturn was loaded with great games that many didn’t play because they weren’t on a PSX.

So many examples.

About all that EA has done with Origin is shoot themselves in the foot on PC.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Doesn’t make sense to compare a free service to a console you have to pay for. It requires nothing to run Origin in the background while you play. All you sacrifice is a few MB’s of harddrive space.

I run Origin AND Steam at the same time, don’t notice any downsides to it.

Knack outsold Mario because it was one of the very few launch games on PS4. It would not happen if Knack released next year. It says more about how far Nintendo have fallen though.

#8 11 months ago
  9. OlderGamer

Fair enough Hcw. But I still think EA limit their sales by sticking with Origin.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Darkfield

@Hcw87 Nope you’re wrong on this. They might be similar in purpose but they are not in function. One gives you tremendously good support, one is filled with incompetent fools, one is convenient the other not so much, especially if you re-install your OS for whatever reason, one doesn’t even need re-installing the client, one needs a re-install and re-download the entire library. It’s simple really, it’s all about convenience, and Origin is anything BUT.

#10 11 months ago
  11. GrimRita

@Hcw87 – theres a big difference between playing games on a platform and being FORCED to play games on a platform. Origin is forced because EA removed all their games from steam making them Origin only – therefore = no sale.

I haven’t played any of the new Battlefields and thats a series I just love. I already have one digital platform, I do not need another just to play EA games

#11 11 months ago
  12. Dendroball

@Darkfield FYI you don’t need to redownload all of your games when you’re reinstalling your OS, you just need to backup your games files in a directory and use it again with your new Origin client install and voila ! I did it multiple times, it will scan the existing game files and reinstall all the shortcuts/stuff on your fresh OS install. That’s convenient in my book. Now just for a reminder when Origin came out, you could choose the directory in which your games were installed, a feature Steam was not providing after like 6/7 years of existence, it helps to put perspective I guess … I can’t comment on the fact that you don’t have to reinstall Steam client in the case of a fresh OS install but, if downloading a miserable 70MB client and reinstalling it is a pain in the ass for you, I guess you should never reinstall your OS to begin with (because let’s be honest 8 times out of ten you need to do it for every software or you know you could redeploy an image of a fresh OS install and all your troubles will suddenly go away).

@GrimRita Once again your logic has a distinct flaw as we could say that Valve is forcing you to use Steam to play all of their own games, same could be said for Blizzard with BattleNet. You hide yourself behind that argument but I guess you just don’t like having to use a second gaming client but still I’m pretty sure you already own Blizzard titles through BattleNet or maybe even Ubisoft tiltes which also forces you to use Uplay on top of Steam.

#12 11 months ago
  13. GrimRita

@12 Actually, no I don’t. And Ubisoft? Please! lol. And Value isn’t forcing me to use Steam. Personally, I believe they saved PC gaming and until the time comes when Origin comes even close to challenging Steam for user tools, then I may look again but as of now, I don’t need a crappy pointless and dated client to get my gaming fix.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Dendroball

@GrimRita If I’m applying your logic, yes Valve is somehow forcing you to use Steam if you wanna play for instance Left 4 Dead, Half Life or Dota2, because well I can’t find those games ELSEWHERE. If I understand well, you arguing EA is forcing you to use Origin because you can’t find all of their new releases elsewhere (and you’re right except for a few older titles that are still available over Steam) but Valve is doing the exact same thing for their own titles over Steam, I can get it doesn’t bother you but denying, in Valve case, the same logic you’re applying to EA is at least factually wrong or dare I say dishonest.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Darkfield

@Dendroball it’s probably a new thing, a year ago it wasn’t the same.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Darkfield

@Dendroball And yes it’s a pain in the ass to reinstall a client that holds 150GB of downloaded data on it. everything else I reinstall would be 700mb at best which are already backed up and ready to boot. Origin wasn’t like this when I was using it. It’s definitely a new thing. While I’m running the same client on the same hard drive and folder for steam ever since it came out and never had any issues with losing downloaded data. When I was using steam for the first time I was on Win XP, now I’m on 8.1 and there’s Vista, 7 and 8 in between. That’s called convenience. I never had to worry about steam fucking up my games. I don’t need Origin anyways, I don’t need anything from EA anyways. All their games feels so similar or sometimes even worse compared to their previous versions and filled with micro transaction crap. I can easily ignore them.

There’s nothing on their category that I feel I’m losing out on. There’s just Dragon Age, which I’m going to play through other means and FIFA which is a crappy last gen update. EA is always like that, treating PC gamers like lower class citizens. Why would I give a shit about them when they don’t care for my opinion?

Steam has well established itself as a platform since launch. It’s no longer considered a forced option, and never was to begin with. In the age of crappy DRM-fested products Steam revolutionized PC gaming through establishment of a digital distribution service. That is by far the best option out there. From support to everything else they are better than everyone else. It’s the most accessible service, has the best support, has the best infrastructure, has the best security, has the best client, has the best offers and promotions and helps a lot of small devs get recognition and notice. None of which EA can claim they do.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Dendroball

@Darkfield Hey you don’t need to justify yourself to me … I was not trying to convince you, you should use Origin, facts are facts so I couldn’t let you say something wrong, just because, as you said it, you don’t care about it anyway.

#17 11 months ago
  18. BrokenSpline

Were people really anything different. EA has stopped putting their titles on Steam. Its how it will be from now on to think it would be anything different was rather foolish.

#18 11 months ago