VG247 relaunches: the new features and what they mean to you

Monday, 27th January 2014 14:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Welcome to the new VG247! We’re relaunching today to build on some fantastic growth last year. Head in for a run-down of the new format and what it means for our daily output.

rebirth

Here it is. V3.00. VG247′s latest design is its best yet. The culmination of six year’s worth of work, it comes with the features we believe will cement our leadership of the video games news industry. Here’s what it does.

The new site has CMS-side functionality which, as near as possible, allows for ‘frictionless posting.’ I named this version ‘The Breaking Update’ in the preliminary documents, the gist being that it’s designed to bring the time it takes to get news from our eyes onto your desktop or mobile screen to an absolute minimum. We were fast. We wanted to be faster. The Breaking News column on the right-hand side of most of VG247′s new pages is the core of our output and should significantly upgrade the way we publish and update news.

You’ll see the homepage design has changed significantly. We now have three main content columns, a video promo box and ‘pin’ boxes in the header. The Headlines column on the left contains the things we want to notice primarily. The biggest news story or relevant feature of the day goes as lead, with lesser or older headlines rolling down to the left, as you’d expect. It’s a similar concept to our last version, but we’ve now coupled it with the Features box. Our blogging around current issues or interviewing indies may not fit in with the day’s Headlines, but we’re never going to stop producing this type of ‘off’ content. Our last version presented us with major problems in that we often had to sacrifice the daily agenda to accommodate other content, but never more; now we have a dedicated place for it.

The video bar beneath the Features box is there for obvious reasons. We’re dedicated to our video output and we want to promote it. Pretty simple.

We now have a Guides section. Yes, I know (traffic), but there really is a good (traffic) reason for incorporating this style of editorial (traffic). And it isn’t just traffic. Guides are newsworthy. We all play a huge amount of games, and one of the major reasons you ever look at a games site is because you’re stuck. Our business is talking about current titles, and there’s little more relevant to that than telling you how to play them. And they bring in a lot of traffic.

VG247 achieved record traffic in November last year of 3.1 million unique users and 7.6 million page views. This relaunch is designed to help us build on recent incredible growth (we only broke 1 million UU in September 2012) as we move through 2014.

I can’t stress enough how much we appreciate your support and readership in the six years we’ve been live. We’ve come a long way since 2008, and it’s all thanks to you. We hope you like the new site.

Patrick Garratt
Publisher
January 23, 2014

1. Fin

Shiny!

#1 8 months ago
  2. Pytox

the banner is kinda flsahy though :-)

#2 8 months ago
  3. mark

Yay! Sorry about the delays getting live, chaps.

#3 8 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

Looks good so far guys, well done!

#4 8 months ago
  5. Jet Black

Looking great! Keep up all the great work!

#5 8 months ago
  6. Fin

The edit comment button seems to’ve disappeared.

Yay for smaller columns!

#6 8 months ago
  7. game_on

I was used to the sections Microsoft, Nintendo etc. Now there are console sections. How do I select PS Vita or 3DS topics?

#7 8 months ago
  8. CyberMarco

Flashy and red, that’s for sure.

I have a black column on the right though.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Patrick Garratt

#9 8 months ago
  10. Legendaryboss

My eyes! It burns of redness.

In all seriousness good job.

#10 8 months ago
  11. deathm00n

It’s looking good! I LIKE IT

#11 8 months ago
  12. dex3108

Nice design but no PC Category :(

#12 8 months ago
  13. DGOJG

Love the new redesign folks, the overall look and layout is great! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for the site. Congrats!

#13 8 months ago
  14. reask

Nice.

#14 8 months ago
  15. spazman

user comments neatly tucked away from view, it feels more yahoo than gamer.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Joe Anderson

Congrats on the relaunch. :)

#16 8 months ago
  17. wlodi

Well done, looks great – just hoping the PC category will be back!

#17 8 months ago
  18. deathm00n

One thing that I don’t seem to find… the forum, where is it?

#18 8 months ago
  19. shogunknight

This is awesome, love the theme

#19 8 months ago
  20. Hcw87

Looks good, no ignoring/down/upvoting of comments though :/

#20 8 months ago
  21. Hcw87

Looks good, no ignoring/up/downvoting of comments though :/ Hopefully that comes soon aswell.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Oynox Slider

Where is the place to report bugs and give general feedback? Here in the comments?

#22 8 months ago
  23. Dragon

My eyes :lol:

It will definitely take a while getting used to.
    Btw, where are the forums?

#23 8 months ago
  24. mp1stfuckas

Seriously? You stole the same name from MP1st…

#24 8 months ago
  25. CyberMarco

The comments sections is a bit off. Why put the comment box on top of the comments? It’s awkward to scroll down the page to read the comments and then go up to post a comment.

Also, no reply feature? :/

#25 8 months ago
  26. mp1stfuckas

Stole the same name from MP1st eh? Go die.

#26 8 months ago
  27. Tormenter

You’re redesign looks terrible.. It’s so staid, flacid and sterile it looks as if it was designed by an accountant.

How you can report on video games (only console now apparently seeing the lack of a PC section) and then proceed to take any fun out of the design of your public face, beats me.

It’s about as corporate as it can get.. and dull, dull, dull.

You didn’t just drop the ball.. you stuck a knife in it and threw it in the fire.

#27 8 months ago
  28. mistermogul

Oooh, it’s all new and shit!

Looking good!

#28 8 months ago
  29. Blackened Halo

Phoenix Down! :))))))))))

#29 8 months ago
  30. Ekona

@25: Totally agree, that’s just a really silly thing to do. I’m sure that’ll be put right soon though.

Looks good otherwise folks, will take a while to get used to it (and there’s an awful lot of odd empty space when using adblockers), but it’s a massive improvement on the old design on iOS.

Congrats on the launch! :D

#30 8 months ago
  31. sebzweidrei

Really nice and structured. The flat design approach is well incorporated. Also, using WordPress as CMS was a good decision.

#31 8 months ago
  32. Se_7_eN

New features:
    More adds.
    Comment bar is at the top of the comments (weird)
    Hideous eye burning colors.

Missing features:
    Liking / promoting comments.
    Editing comments.
    Replying directly to comments
    Anything to do with comments.

#32 8 months ago
  33. Fin

Yeah the comment box should def be under the comments – have to scroll all the way down to remember who I’m replying to!

#33 8 months ago
  34. evilashchris

Everything is on the left. I also don’t like change. Apart from that it’s very nice :D

#34 8 months ago
  35. Maxey

Is this the redesign that allows moderators to permanently ban users with ease?

#35 8 months ago
  36. CyberMarco

@30 There are lots of odd spaces even without ad-block.

#36 8 months ago
  37. Mike W

I like it so far, do you guys have an app?

#37 8 months ago
  38. Maxey

Can’t see my comment, what’s going on?

#38 8 months ago
  39. salarta

OH GOD WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE.

While I prefer the prior design, I think that’s only because I’m used to it, and this one will grow on me. Though I will say that I liked it more when I could see there were new comments without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and I think sidelining the breaking news in order to have the main page dominated by headlines kinda hurts things.

I suppose the solution to this dilemma for me is to now have two VG247 windows open instead of one: one window set to the bottom of the front page, and the other open on the Ticker page.

Visually, it looks great, but functionality-wise it seems somewhat less ideal.

#39 8 months ago
  40. Edo

I’m sure I’ll get use to it but at the moment I am not liking the new look all that much…as Se7en said I expected more things that are comment section related.

#40 8 months ago
  41. Erthazus

I think it looks awesome but there are bugs. I just feel them everytime I’m on the site.

#41 8 months ago
  42. Djoenz

Nice job guys I like it. Take the time to customize and tweak etc.

#42 8 months ago
  43. Ireland Michael

Regarding Likes / Dislikes / Ignoring Features, etc.

Apparently the new design has not gifted people with the ability to read.

There’s a few things in the layout that bug me, but overall this a great redesign. The speed of it is the best thing. The old layout was not pleasant to use on tablets at all…

#43 8 months ago
  44. Someboooodie

Lovin the new site.

#44 8 months ago
  45. the whole jay

I’m a little confused… What I really liked about the format before was that all the news was on there chronologically, so that I never missed anything by reading once a day. It was kind of like a Tumblr dashboard of all the video game news. Maybe it is still like that but the new homepage is just confusing me so I can’t see the pattern… or maybe I am confused because the newest stories so far today are similar to stories I have been seeing for the last couple days. I am not explaining this well. Anyone else experiencing this?

I am not a big fan of having three columns of content. is there any way to customize what I see on the homepage?

I read the article and I fully understand why you made all the changes, and you did a good job implementing them! I’m just having a hard time adapting here. Is it just me?

#45 8 months ago
  46. salarta

I’d rather the site not have any up-vote/down-vote functionality for comments, if only because the end result is incredibly predictable. Things people don’t like to hear get downvoted, things that conform to their own views get upvoted, and the vote tally ultimately encourages a status quo where legitimate points might be ignored if the majority simply doesn’t like it and vice versa. In other words, it kills any real discussion. It’s even worse if the comment functionality is bundled with comments with the most upvotes getting special highlight and ones with the most downvotes getting hidden from view.

#46 8 months ago
  47. tenthousandgothsonacid

None of it makes any sense …yet.

Is there an ignore button this time ?

#47 8 months ago
  48. bugmenot

Why so aggressively red and black?
    i loved previous ‘calm’ design.
    Please add option to change color scheme, if possible

#48 8 months ago
  49. Gate of Steiner

Have been reading the site for years! Just registered to say that I’m kinda liking the new style.

Though, like others have said, the comment section needs some work. Anyways, nice job!

#49 8 months ago
  50. ManuOtaku

I like it, i hope it does improves in the upcoming days. Having said that i did love the old design especially for the recent comments on the side of the recent stories and forum, hope it makes a comeback.

But Kudos and Thanks for the changes and efforts

#50 8 months ago
  51. Gheritt White

Looks crap, you should all be ashamed.

Bring back the old designs.

#51 8 months ago
  52. Joe Musashi

Oh no. Change.

Why can’t you be more like SITE X?

Why did you move the thing I like to somewhere new??

Where is the thing I used to click on and what do I click on to make the same thing do the thing with the other thing???

Whatevs. I’m sure all those meetings and edits and effort will be amply rewarded. Good luck chaps.

I like the ticker.

JM

#52 8 months ago
  53. Ireland Michael

Oh, comments now go past 50. Yay!

That’s gonna lead to a looooooot of scrolling in some articles. =P

#53 8 months ago
  54. Ireland Michael

I just noticed that there doesn’t appear to be an edit button.

That’s going to drive me crazy. =(

#54 8 months ago
  55. Oynox Slider

Also, will you give any love to your app in the Appstore? :(

#55 8 months ago
  56. VATman

Congrats! It looks absolutely magnificient

#56 8 months ago
  57. the whole jay

Oh yeah, and what do I click on to make the same thing do the thing with the other thing?

#57 8 months ago
  58. Joe Musashi

Staff page looking fresh!

Privacy policy looking very … … private.

JM

#58 8 months ago
  59. Belmont

Congratulations to everyone, great looking design !

#59 8 months ago
  60. Cobra951

Testing . . . 1, 2, 3 . . .

Tap tap . . . is this thing on?

Yes! Hello world! Welcome back! It will take me a while to get used to the new design. I suspect it will take a while for the staff as well. Let’s go forward together.

#60 8 months ago
  61. 2-K

Nice Design,simple and elegant.

#61 8 months ago
  62. DuckOfDestiny

So the front page no longer updates with the latest posted news article?

Can’t say I’m a fan of this breaking news column.

#62 8 months ago
  63. Dan

Slick design. Love it.
    Congrats to the team.

#63 8 months ago
  64. YoungZer0

Kind of disappointing really. One thing I liked about VG247 is how clear and clean everything was. You could tell right away what’s new, what’s it about, etc. It’s still clean, but I can’t tell what’s what. I understand why there is a features bar, but the bar on the left? What’s that about? It’s definitely not showing the newest of news.

The comment section is so far below that I don’t know if I want to be bothered with that. No new features for the comment section at all. Not even what other websites would describe as the most basic stuff. VG247 was always missing that. I really don’t understand why we don’t have that. Do I really still need to use HTML tags? Is this real life?

#64 8 months ago
  65. Marvin the Paranoid Android

How do you access older news stories (older than 2 days old)?

#65 8 months ago
  66. Ireland Michael

@64 “We’ve promised to bring upgrades to our community suite, and that’s planned for the near-future. As soon as we can share more on that, we’ll take it to the forum.”

#66 8 months ago
  67. Rockstar Vienna

Hope you guys will sort out the trolls and spambots too! Nice redesign guys! :)

#67 8 months ago
  68. YoungZer0

“Patrick Garratt
    Everything’s broken. Sorry about that. It’s all going to get fixed in the next few days.”

Oh, okay. No worries then.

#68 8 months ago
  69. Sadismek

@64 +1

It’s a new site, it’s shiny and all, but I absolutely loved the old VG24/7 to bits. It was clean, everything was at hand. I can see myself getting used to this, but liking it? Not for now.

Congrats for the change though, I’m sure other people would find a plethora of things to like. :)

#69 8 months ago
  70. game_on

To be honest, I prefer the old layout. There is too much going on on the screen right now, having trouble focussing.

#70 8 months ago
  71. Sam Clay

I can confirm that red is next-gen.

#71 8 months ago
  72. sh4dow

I don’t know… my initial impression: ads top priority, comments last.

#72 8 months ago
  73. Djoenz

You know the upper bar, where you can select sections, home page and account shouldnt be scrolling along imo or at least not that big/wide. I dont like it fixed.

#73 8 months ago
  74. Strange Sultan

Yes! Finally! I was waiting for so long for this ! Specially the smooth login and commenting systems. The old comment system was awful. I used to hate to participate here even though I check vg247 multiple times everyday. Congratulation guys for the new look. And keep up the good work. Also, please, don’t sell out…

#74 8 months ago
  75. Dunno

Looks good! One thing, Centralise it !!!!!! Why does everybody repeat the youtube mistake?

#75 8 months ago
  76. Rockstar Vienna

The sections “More from the web” and “More from VG247″ between the article and the comments are annoying tho…

#76 8 months ago
  77. DarkElfa

Not bad.

#77 8 months ago
  78. salarta

Okay, a few ideas for updates/changes that nobody asked me to give, but I’ll post anyway.

-A way for logged in users to alter the design however they wish. Is this possible? Probably not, but it seems like an easy way to make things easier for logged in users if they want to move Recent Comments higher because they care about those most, for example.
    -Barring that, perhaps logged in users can have options of different layouts?
    -Personally, I think maybe Breaking News and the Headlines would be best swapped; recent news gives a reason to come back more than once per day, and the headlines being to the right side in the same manner as the Breaking News would work well I think if they were paired with an image the way they are now.
    -A link at the end of an article to jump down to the Comments section would be good; right now, the “More from the web” and “more from VG247″ can be so long combined that it takes up a whole page length or two to reach the comments section.
    -In addition to, or instead of, that, perhaps a link that goes to the very bottom of the page? Right now, it takes a ton of scrolling to reach the bottom, especially now that comments go past the 50 comments limit.
    -Perhaps the whole “post comment” box would be better at the end? I can see the reason for having it at the top, more immediate access, but if you’re someone that actually reads through the comments, you then have to scroll all the way up to the top of the comments section to be able to write anything.

Since these changes have been in the works for five years, I’m guessing I’ve already said things that have been talked about and considered plenty of times before reaching this point, but there’s the thoughts.

#78 8 months ago
  79. Dunno

And tone down the fucking red. The comment section is at the bottom of news. Yeah fuck it. No one needs it, right? :/

#79 8 months ago
  80. FragileSurface

As someone who considers this site of of their favorites on the internet, this update makes me sad. I loved this site because it was simple, clear and concise. It wasn’t like other gaming news sites that tried to shove as much in your face as possible. Now it feels like VG247 has outdone even those. I counted 92 links to news stories or videos on the homepage. It’s way too much. It’s information overload.

#80 8 months ago
  81. fihar

Okay.
    I’ve refrained from commenting until I’ve fully digested the new layout. Now that I’m properly up to speed, it’s time for some observation.

Firstly, I’m not sure the ‘Headlines’ section should take up so much space in the home page. The bottom of the ‘Headlines’ section is now showing some articles from as far back as 2 weeks ago.
    I know that these are supposed to be the important news, but I think this is a little bit of an overkill.

Secondly, like some of the other posters have mentioned, I’m also unsure why the comment box is at the top of the comment section, instead of being at the bottom. Doesn’t exactly promote discussion, does it?
    On the other hand, the 50-comments limit is now gone! Yay!

Thirdly, I’m a huge Ferrari fan and this overwhelming red on my computer screen is perfectly up my alley.

Fourthly, while I kinda disliked the fact that the ‘Breaking news’ section is now relegated to a minor position in the home page, I very much appreciate the ticker page, as grouping the articles by day makes it a lot easier for me to catch up in case I neglected to visit for a day or two.

Fifthly, I’m quite surprised that your guides are now relevant enough to have a spot in the top of the page. I’ve never actually read any of your guides here.
    But hey, if it actually helps people then all the better.

Sixthly, I’m of the opinion that your interviews and opinion pieces are actually the bread-and-butter of actual journalism as they are the only thing that differentiates one video game site with the other so despite how small it actually is, I liked the new ‘Features’ section.

All in all, this is definitely, on the whole, an aesthetically pleasing design. There are some hiccups here and there but the ups far outweigh the downs.

Good work guys!
    Can’t wait to see what will the forum and your ”upgrades to our community suite” would look like.

#81 8 months ago
  82. Kshandoo

And where is the Screens section?

#82 8 months ago
  83. Djoenz

@FragileSurface

” I counted 92 links to news stories or videos on the homepage. It’s way too much. It’s information overload”
    Whahahaa..

#83 8 months ago
  84. macronia

congratulations , the site looks very cool , i feel it is overloaded with news i think i have to get used with it , anyway the new vg247 is awesome :D

#84 8 months ago
  85. Zeydlitz

This is insane! Text boxes are so small, so I could not see it anymore, And text volume seems to be insufficient. So fixed width cite it’s very poor desing.

#85 8 months ago
  86. szu

well fuck me this looks slick!! well done.

#86 8 months ago
  87. OlderGamer

Gratz folks! I know this was a lot of work and a long time coming.

#87 8 months ago
  88. monkeygourmet

Not loving this so far.

Lots of adverts I keep clicking on by accident because of scrolling update refresh on my ipad.

Seems far too busy with links, a complete assault on the senses.

#88 8 months ago
  89. Hunam

I think the biggest thing that bothers me is that new stories seem to be small and unimportant where top read is the draw. The old site used to value new stories as top content, what people want to see. This site design is more in line with an average video games site and not a dedicated news site. The whole top left section is like a shotgun of content, all fighting over real estate. It’s just bewildering.

Plus, massive ads in between comments and article :(

#89 8 months ago
  90. Hunam

Oh and the adverts being clickable anywhere on the screen rather than just the top and right banner is super annoying when you have to middle mouse click to scroll.

#90 8 months ago
  91. Raynor

Its too RED but better than previous theme , WordPress is a really wide and flexible platform to build a good website like this .
    a question : how about avatar ?

#91 8 months ago
  92. monkeygourmet

News Story

social media stuff

More from the web

More from VG247

Advert

Comments

It’s clear comments were the last thing in the pile, and that is a bit sad.

#92 8 months ago
  93. fengato

Not a fan of relegating breaking news to a narrow column without pics. The new stuff at the top mentality is the very thing that brought me to VG247 in the first place.

#93 8 months ago
  94. Darkfield

Congrats again! guess I’m back to GwynbleiddiuM instead of Darkfield. :<

#94 8 months ago
  95. grizzlycake

I like it a lot so far. However, the “more from the web” segment is just ridiculously huge.

#95 8 months ago
  96. Darkfield

Ok, seems it still shows the display name so cheers, but where’s the EDIT button?

#96 8 months ago
  97. Gekidami

Is it normal that its so narrow? It looks a bit cluttered right now, might be down to it being narrow, but i’m not sure… What i do know is that that “More from the web” part is ridiculously huge.

#97 8 months ago
  98. brokenkey

At last, I can find out how people are paying less than £29 for a new iPad app, and how to create my own Simpsons profile picture.

/shotgun.

#98 8 months ago
  99. Gekidami

Also, we can no longer see latest comments right on the main page? Thats disappointing.

#99 8 months ago
  100. Obernox

Hello new VG247 :)

#100 8 months ago
  101. Gheritt White

What I like most is that it’s now possible to ignore article comments almost completely, resulting in a much more healthy blood pressure level.

#101 8 months ago
  102. Coheno

Why are the “news” several days old? Is it going to be this mixed going forward? Cause that won’t work for me.

#102 8 months ago
  103. Coheno

Or am I suppose to look at that “Breaking news” bar on the right side from now on? That’s super awkward.

#103 8 months ago
  104. DarkElfa

I paused adblock and I thought I had accidentally gone to H@R Block.com. I don’t mind adds, but I hate it when its the same add all the way down the entire page.

#104 8 months ago
  105. salarta

@101: Or, you know, you could’ve done that all along by having some restraint. :P

#105 8 months ago
  106. manamana

Congrats on the new design. I like it. Keep up your good work guys’n'gals!

#106 8 months ago
  107. tenthousandgothsonacid

Right, I’ve tried it for a bit now and I’ve come round to the idea that it’s a fucking mess with more prominent adverts.

#107 8 months ago
  108. absolutezero

Yeaaaahhhh I’ve been here since the start of VG24/7, I came over when EG shat the bed.

Its just words, its a shit tonne of words in bright red. Its the EG homepage. Its a clusterfuck to parse in any sort of sensible fashion?

Anyone know a good news site? I might try Shack out again I guess. humpf.

#108 8 months ago
  109. powerbuoy

Looks great guys! Mobile version looks really good as well.

#109 8 months ago
  110. Cort

Excellent.

Apart from that “more from the web” crap that places a huge barrier between the article and its comments. I wouldn’t mind, but the section has never succeeded in highlighting anything interesting to me since you introduced it. Even if a title did catch my eye, the names of the websites suggest that if I went there I’d necessarily be running a full AV check five minutes later.

#110 8 months ago
  111. TheWulf

I’m iffy about the top bar — but it was simple to remove with an element blocker. The only reason I’m iffy about it is that I have to keep my browser very zoomed in. I have optic nerve damage, not something that glasses can fix.

But! Other than that? The new design is lovely and much more readable than the old one. Things are better compartmentalised, and (zoomed in as I am) I don’t have to constantly scroll left and right. So I’d say that it’s a massive improvement. And it just looks nice, too. Very clean, very contemporary. Good job.

#111 8 months ago
  112. Stardog

You should put images down the right instead of the “5h ago” box.

#112 8 months ago
  113. Demigod

Well its red and very squashed in. it seems like the headlines images have the edges cut off.

Cant honestly say I like it but as long as the content stays as good, great. But the layout so so

#113 8 months ago
  114. SplatteredHouse

“A lot of the changes seem like they do a lot to deter people from leaving comments at all. Maybe that’s intentional by design? :P

Agreed, Salarta. And I’m not keen on that. For whatever reason, it doesn’t seem to be possible to see what was said (from the front page). I struggle to believe that those who actually want to stop and chat would click through, per story until such a time that they find something to reply to…which leads me to imagine that *drumroll*: The articles and forum NOW INTERCONNECT?! (Theory: when you comment on a story, your words float onto the forum under a heading of each article. When you want to see what’s been said, you reference the forum – and that would explain the lack of a comment window, like the site had before! :D But, again, sod scrolling all the way down there to check the comments…Because :p

It’s an especially odd choice in consideration of the stated purpose of a Guides section (people would REALLY go to a news website…Because they’re stuck? Their initial inclination being to find a specialist source would seem the more likely.) I know I would choose to go to a news website to AVOID that sort of thing. :/

In terms of the new columns, more stories visible, better organised. That doesn’t sound like a bad concept to me.

#114 8 months ago
  115. FinalStar

Your Ticker seems to be busted: it’s only showing about 20 news per day, so a lot of content is missing on workdays – e.g. 23rd January has only news starting from 15:08, everything before is not listed.

I guess that’s probably not how it’s supposed to be?

#115 8 months ago
  116. SplatteredHouse

Don’t like having random stories to the right, and then related/previous below. I’d prefer it the other way around, as the random stuff on the right distracts me from the story I’m reading.
    I can understand that layout on the main page, it’s good there, but when I’m reading an article, that piece and its related reading ought to take priority – and, when I wanted to read different topics/news I can just go back to the main page and select again.

#116 8 months ago
  117. SplatteredHouse

@116 on articles, I would like to see random/recent articles BENEATH the feature piece, and related in the column to the right…On the main page it is fine as it is (because it serves to offer a better overview/at-a-glance focus to draw readers to spend more time on the site, per-visit.) In case my previous comment was unclear.

#117 8 months ago
  118. FinalStar

Yep, your Ticker is definitely not really useable they way it is now: Once there’s more than 20 news items per day, every new one pushes out a the oldest previous one.

There’s no point in having an “articles from the past 7 days” overview when half of the content of said week doesn’t show up because it was published “too early”, so to speak.

Please fix this.

#118 8 months ago
  119. SplatteredHouse

@118 I’d like to know what it’s intended for. There is a separate “ticker” page, and then there’s a “Breaking News”…But, they both do the same thing??

Wouldn’t it be more useful if the ticker were. Well, basically, if the ticker sought out news from the www based on popular terms/interests/phrases used on VG247 for instance? The things we’re talking about; the content we are interested in, brought to our eyes here! The Breaking News on the front page would be all about “stuff VG247 wrote”, the prime stays to the left and the remainder can be accessed at the right. For anything else, try The Ticker.

Because, right now, given my understanding of what a ticker should be, the purpose it serves, I’m not at all sure what the point of this one is.

#119 8 months ago
  120. SplatteredHouse

The Ticker would basically beat and react to the pulse of the site :) Which articles are busy; which words are people interested in – but unlike a word cloud (look at all of this data ball with which we have skilfully filled that nasty ol’ blank space that was there before) NO. That’s not it. That ticker would actually bring something back to add to the site.

#120 8 months ago
  121. Lounds

Well done Pat!

#121 8 months ago
  122. Lounds

Been a daily user since 2010

#122 8 months ago
  123. Tyrantsoul

Not a fan to be honest.Using the bar on the right is an awful idea.And who gave the ok on the colour scheme?I loved the old lay out because it was so easy to catch up on game news even if you missed a day or so.I would assume other people liked it too due to the fact you got a hell of alot of readers.

#123 8 months ago
  124. TrapGodZeus

I like it. There’s a fucking explosion of content coming from every which way on the homepage, but overall, its dope. Nice touch with the flow of the colors too :D

But fuck this comment box. On top of the comments? Naw…matter fact i’m not even sure putting it at the bottom would make it any less strange. I dunno. Something just feels off about the comments, maybe its just the big ass open space to the right that’s getting to me. But I normally catch up on news from the mobile site anyways so its whatever I guess

Congrats on the relaunch regardless!

#124 8 months ago
  125. RavenX

I’m pretty sure the change was to provide a better experience to everyone. No one will create something to complicate others life on purpose, but, I really didn’t like the new layout.

The main reason: The page is polluted with so much information at the same time.
    The list of all news on the right side of the page “mix” with the highlights and so on.
    You have to “search” for the info. In the old layout the info was just there, waiting to be read, you didn’t need to look for it.

Well…
    Hope that my brain gets used with it, because my first impression was not good and I’m very disappointed, because VG247 is my daily gaming news reading.

#125 8 months ago
  126. mathare92

Congrats all round, guys. It’s been a long time coming.

Overall, I like the new design. You’ve not changed it too radically, and it mostly just seems like a breath of fresh air to the old design – which was really needed. Two small gripes though:

1. I think you might be packing too much into the left column – for both the article page and the news feed; it’s a little too cramped. I wonder if you’d consider maybe widening the column a bit.

2. Second gripe is that the “Breaking News” feed is way too long and conflicts with the main news feed. Maybe just put the most recent ten or five breaking news articles. It’d make it easier to parse the main page. Having two sets of article headlines running the length of the page, as is the case right now, just makes the site look overloaded with links.

#126 8 months ago
  127. The_Red

Congrats to VG247 team :)
    Looking forward to more video content along with classic VGawesomeness.

#127 8 months ago
  128. The_Red

One burning question / request:

How to access older NONE-HEADLINE news? One thing I loved about VG247 was the ability to scroll down and see every piece of news posted chronologically. Now only Hot / Featured items can be view via “Older” button while the Breaking / Latest News (Which I’m after) is limited to front page. Is there anyway to check older headlines that way? Or at least, a separate page or section for just latest news from newest to older and older like previous design?

#128 8 months ago
  129. junguler

it looks cool but it takes some time getting use to, i have no problem with it tho, been reading news from this site about 2.5 years now, love what you guys doing.

#129 8 months ago
  130. Dave Cook

Howdy folks, thanks foe your feedback so far. A few things to bear in mind:

The breaking news column is essentially the old news reel, in chronological order. The headlines are stickies we want to keep highlighted. We only had three featured slots on the old side, which meant too much was getting pushed down.

Whatever the layout looks like now, just know that the content will stay the same and we’re looking at all your feedback. This is an evolution in process and we will be changing/adding a few things as we go.

Cheers for your support guys. It means a lot.

#130 8 months ago
  131. Strabo

Looks nice. A bit “samey” as all the newer internet sites look pretty much like all done by the same guy (blocky, big controls (for mobile) bar to the right..). I liked the old, classic layout, but this one will serve.

#131 8 months ago
  132. Patrick Garratt

We’re going through all your comments this morning. A bunch of stuff is a bit borked, obviously, and the tech guys are going to get on with fixing everything this morning. The forum will be back this week, and hopefully we’ll have log-in sorted very quickly.

Just want to echo Dave, there: thanks for all your support.

#132 8 months ago
  133. Ireland Michael

I have only one request. Bring the edit button back.

Otherwise I like everything about the new layout and think its a vast improvement.

#133 8 months ago
  134. polygem

i knew that daves xbox one layout was a hint! well played!

@The_Red: congratulations, you now have the coolest screen name on vg247. you should become a mod.

i like it so far. loving the colour and clean look but must look into it a little more.

just wanted to stop by an give you a big thumbs up for that sneaky launch :) well done!

#134 8 months ago
  135. Edo

GTA V has it’s own section…wat.

#135 8 months ago
  136. digmouse

Loving it! Red is a good color in China which means happiness and celebration, it’s right Chinese New Year here so thanks for the new year gift vg247!

#136 8 months ago
  137. JonFE

Kudos to the team, I hope the redesign achieves what you set out to do. :)

It’s too soon to judge the redesign -it usually takes me some time to adjust to such things and I’d like to see the dust settle down first- however there’s one thing that’s bugging me: do you really need that irrelevant “more from the web” section placed that high in your content? Right below the article, above relative (?) VG247 articles and user comments? Shouldn’t it be right at the bottom?

As it is, there’s too much scrolling necessary, in order to participate in discussions and some of it could be avoided IMHO.

Also, am I right in assuming that new stories first appear in the “Breaking news” section?

#137 8 months ago
  138. Ireland Michael

@JonFE If “More from the Web” was below comments and stuff, nobody would ever click them.

Whether we like it or not, that stuff is there to make money. There’s no need for anyone to sugarcoat that fact. The ultimate aim of this site is to feed Pat’s family and pay the wages of the staff.

A good website knows how to make a good balance between accessibility and advertising. I personally surf the site on my iPad almost exclusively, so it’s obscenely easy for me to speed scroll past that stuff. I can understand why it’s a bit in your face for people on outdated web surfing devices like PCs and laptops though.

#138 8 months ago
  139. Fin

I’d like a “latest comments” page back, and paging of comments themselves!

#139 8 months ago
  140. POOhead

The site is a big improvement on android but on chrome… not so much, hope improvements come out quick

#140 8 months ago
  141. Ireland Michael

@Fin If you visit the site from a mobile fine, comments is an entirely separate tab of it own, which is great.

Something like that for tablets / PC as well would be great. As it is it just looks messy being dumped down the bottom of the page.

#141 8 months ago
  142. POOhead

cant even find my comment wtf

#142 8 months ago
  143. JonFE

@Ireland Michael

I guess it wouldn’t bug me that much, if it was games related. Then again, I’m not the one who will deny vg247 staff its income. One question though: what have “outdated web surfing devices like PCs and laptops” got to do with anything related to this?

#143 8 months ago
  144. Ireland Michael

@JonFE The layout is optimised to be aesthetically appealing on tablets and mobiles, which are quickly overtaking traditionall computers as the primary means consuming information.

Those ads can be skipped much faster on my iPad with a fast swipe than with a scroll wheel on my PC.

Tablet designs are cleaner, tidier and simple look better. Images and text stand out more, and there is far less clutter. I for one am more than happy to see the end of those old border consuming ads.

This kind of look will be design of web media for at least the next half a decade, and it’s because PCs are outdated as web surfing devices. Few people want to sit in front of a computer or carry a heavy laptop just to read the news or view videos anymore.

#144 8 months ago
  145. JonFE

@Ireland Michael

Thanks for the reply – I guess I should get with the times :)

#145 8 months ago
  146. BrokenSpline

The comment section is absolutely awful. Comment box on top? Then the “Reply” is just adding @Username, why not have it where it creates a hierarchy? So it is much more clearer to understand who is replying to what and the discussions being organized similar to Joystiq.

#146 8 months ago
  147. Waluigifan

I just made an account to tell you that I don’t like the redesign. :/
    The red kinda hurts my eyes and what’s up with that black background??

By the way: registering on this site is very strange. When I clicked “sign up” the site required a username and a password for login “tester”. Only after clicking “cancel” the site redirected me to a registration form.

#147 8 months ago
  148. RocknRolla

@DGOJG Ooouu you can reply now :) I will just reply to you random person :)

#148 8 months ago
  149. absolutezero

The comments sections are completely dead.

Where has everyone gone? Am I missing something?

#149 8 months ago
  150. M. K.

Glad to read that, I can’t login properly :(

#150 8 months ago
  151. M. K.

@M. K. Also missing an edit button :D

Anyway congrats, once again a smooth relaunch.

#151 8 months ago
  152. the whole jay

I was having trouble articulating what was bothering me in my last post, but many others have explained it well.

The only way I can get the news in a straightforward (albeit boring) way now is to use the “ticker” but once I click on an article, I still can hardly escape the assault on my senses that is this new site format.

I don’t need this orgy of information… all these invasive links and this overly complicated design have ruined this site for me, personally.

I can tell the reactions from everyone run the gamut between those that love it, hate it, or just think its ok. It seems to me the best solution would be to find a way to allow one to customize the layout to a degree.

I really loved this site, but now if I find another one that offers the news in such a way that I know I will not miss a headline, and makes it easy to digest, I know I will jump ship immediately.

#152 8 months ago
  153. LB

@Legendaryboss Okay something has happened the site required a username and a password for login “tester” when trying to sign in to the Legendaryboss account, it wouldn’t let me sign me no matter how many times i tried.

Can we get this issue fixed until then i’ll just use this account for emergencies just like this.

#153 8 months ago
  154. Cort

Right. Now I have used it for a week I have changed my mind. You’ve fucked up. I keep missing news. It’s far too busy, too disjointed, and has moved too far from what made you popular: a simple contiguous and chronological newsfeed concept.

The huge drop-off in community engagement should tell you something.

And I just clicked the XBox One feed. Newest story is apparently two weeks old; second newest is a month old and about the PS4. Broken. Properly broken.

I have no idea where the forum is. And you are still throwing loads of pointless ads from dodgy websites at me. “Lululemon Kicks Off Largest-Ever Outdoor Yoga Class in Covent Garden” Really? That will pique the interest of the Gears of War players.

#154 8 months ago
  155. Elvis71

I waited to comment regarding the relaunch until i gave myself some time to get used to it. But i have to say that the new layout still annoys me .. personally i´m a bit lost and often feel a bit disoriented. In the old design i could directly dive into the news & articles .. but now its so distracting and somehow incoherent. Too much information crammed into the page maybe.

I hope it will get better over time … but right now i´m not using the site as before.

#155 8 months ago
  156. super3001

New site is shit on mobile phone.

No ignore button.