EverQuest Next confirmed for PlayStation 4, PlanetSide 2 coming first half of 2014

Saturday, 25th January 2014 15:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EverQuest Next is coming to PlayStation 4, Sony Online Entertainment’s John Smedley has confirmed along with the new PlanetSide 2 will be released during the first half of the year.

Speaking in a Reddit AMA yesterday evening after SOE’s announcement of All Access and the subsequent closure of four MMOS, Smedley would only say it was “absolutely” coming to PS4 and left it at that.

When EQN was announced during SOE live in August 2013, the firm said it was focusing mainly on a PC launch, but was not “adverse to the idea” of bringing the MMO to PS4.

The game is expected to launch sometime next year, according to the AMA.

Smedley also said during the AMAA that he expects PlanetSide 2 to launch on PS4 during the first half of 2014.

“This year is what we’re shooting for,” he said. “It’s taking time to do this right but coming along great.”

Smedley also said the team “failed” regarding the Mac port for PS2, but now that the developer has “gotten the optimization patch out of the way” he will “re-light this fire.”

He also said SOE MMO players will finally be able to pay for their subs using PayPal “fairly soonish” and are working with Valve on “some Steam wallet, subscription stuff.”

1. SlayerGT

Oh crap..I’ll have to play it then

#1 10 months ago
  2. Joe Anderson

Great news. You’ll be playing I take it Steph? We’ll meet up and cause some havok. :D

#2 10 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Oh you know it! ;)

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

That is awesome, but by ”next year” do you mean it’s not coming until 2015? I really thought EQNext would be coming this year.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 Here is the quote & question from the AMAA in full:

Q: “What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?”

A: “not sure yet. Likely sometime next year.”

#5 10 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Oh damn. Anyway, lots of MMO stuff this year anyway, Wildstar, ESO, WoW.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Erthazus

So in other words, EQN will be a shoddy MMO with 8 hot bars because of damn gamepad.

RIP Everquest franchise.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Hcw87

8 hotbars? You mean hotkeys? 8 hotbars would be way too much. Not even WoW requires more than 2-4 hotBARS at max.

More and more modern MMO’s come out with only 5-8 hotkeys though, so combat might get old quickly. I like having lots of abilities to use.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

Remember when you said EQN wouldn’t be on consoles? Good times :P

#9 10 months ago
  10. Erthazus

WoW requires more then 2-4 and more then 8.

Sometimes it is not even enough for me and I raided a lot and finished raids on time.
    I used even some additional mouse buttons for hotkeys + macros. So nope, WoW requires a lot of hotkeys for successfull raid or PvP match.

The reason why EQN have 8 hotkeys is because of the gamepad. The game will be actionary console third person Free Roam action game compared to EQ1 or EQ2.

@9, I never said that and if I said that. Link please.

#10 10 months ago
  11. OlderGamer

Very much looking forward to EQN and PS2 as well.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Hcw87

No MMO requires more than 4 hotbars. You’re doing it wrong. You don’t need to hotkey 5 different foods, you can macro different abilities/buffs into 1 key etc.

#12 10 months ago
  13. RoboJesus

Yes, because hotbars are the essence and soul of MMORPGs. Jesus H. Christ…

#13 10 months ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

I prefer making my own build in games such as TSW and GW (mainly GW1) it requires a bit of creativity and knowledge of the abilities. So for me I prefer fewer abilities at a time but a large pool of skills to choose from.

I hate the fact in WoW you get loads of abilities that every other person in your class is using as well, where’s the customisation there? I play an MMO to develop my character and I feel held back if I can’t make it unique in both appearance and build.

On topic though I’ll definitely be playing PS2 on my PS4, undecided about EQN, I may stick to PC.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Darkfield

@12 technically you’re right. But I’m guessing Erth is like me a lot of customizations and macros are involved on his UI so, I’m guessing this is how he meant it: http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/129356634-4.jpg

#15 10 months ago
  16. Erthazus

@13, Because it is.

@12, “2 hotbars is enough for the hunter i raided with for 6 years. I used 1 more for convenient stuff like mounts/nonabilities. Remember, 1 hotbar has 12 hotKEYS. 2 hotbars means 24 abilities. You don’t need that much even.”

show me your Armory with progression on WoW or GTFO. Because Macro’s are not enough for this game if you want to raid or play seriously.

“Something like GW2 is an example of too few hotkeys/too few abilities to use. Grows old quickly.”

Yeap. Great example of a MMO with basic and generic battle system. It does not work and that’s why this game has no raids and insances are a mess.

@Darkfield, EXACTLY. Awesome screenshot btw. Really great custom made UI.

#16 10 months ago
  17. NocturnalB

I played WoW from Vanilla all the way up to Dragon Soul, and in all my time raiding I was the same way as Hcw87, never needed more than 2 bars (and I was a Lock for most of those years), threw on a 3rd just for convenience such as mounts, food, etc.

Don’t you think you’re being just a little bit quick to judge Erth? Do you have details regarding the gameplay design the rest of us lowly unworthy gamers are unaware of yet? I mean I get where you’re coming from, some cross-platform MMO’s translated horribly when it came to controllers/keyboards.

Hell there are a few PC only MMO combat systems that I personally think suck A BIG HAIRY ONE. I.e. SWTOR, the combat always felt underwhelming to me.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Phoenixblight

If you are calling people out with armory progression where is yours? I also like that you had an image of I assume your UI but then quickly edited it out. Funny that.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Hcw87

First one is a raidUI shot, from 2011 when i was raiding last. The second one is a more recent picture, only playing casually now, currently not subbed. As you can see, more than enough space for abilities i need, there’s even some nonessential stuff there. Maybe it’s different for other classes, but i have alot of alts. I rarely use more than 4 hotbars.

My Armory? Why? It’s here if you want proof that i was actually raiding: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/thunderhorn/Skylinee/simple

#19 10 months ago
  20. NocturnalB

I just wanted to add that I’m in the same boat as a few of you including Erth, combat on GW2 was bad. Speaking from my “hardcore” gamer side, I totally agree GW2 combat and abilities were SEVERLY lacking, got bored of playing it within 3 weeks and the only reason it took that long is because I forced myself to stay committed until I maxed out at least once, which I did.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Erthazus

@19, You have ZERO progression Hcw87.
    + I checked WoWProgress. You don’t even have a single raid (previous or not) with progress on time.

You never even started Normal difficulty or higher (without nerfs or debuffs ). I mean, this discussion right now is pointless. You are a casual mmo player for which 8 buttons will be enough.

for me, it’s not enough.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Christopher Jack

@16, “play seriously”? It’s a video game ffs. Unless you’re getting paid you shouldn’t be taking it seriously.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Hcw87

lolwhat?

Like i said, i stopped raiding May 2011, and from around 2007-2011 we were the top 25man raiding guild on the server. I don’t know how far back wowprogress goes, but we cleared every single raid on heroic before i stopped raiding.

Just go through my wotlk+cata raid achievements there (ignore those from 2012, i went back after pandaria with a few friends).

#23 10 months ago
  24. NocturnalB

Erth I don’t think you’re using a reliable source for old characters, I just checked my character on wow progress and it’s showing zero progress of anything as we’ll. I’m not saying wowprogress is bad, just not reliable for data apparently. 2 different inactive raiders on completely different sides of the planet and the same thing no data.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Don’t bother. It shows on the official site. Erth is using that site because it shows what he wants to see.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Erthazus

@22, Yeah and it shows that you Cleared these raids in 16/05/2011 (Sinestra). This is T11 raid and you cleared Heroic difficulty which is true, but not on time. This is a time with nerfs and buffs.

@22, ““play seriously”? It’s a video game ffs. Unless you’re getting paid you shouldn’t be taking it seriously.”

by playing seriously that means playing the game right on time for a decent progression. This is the time when raids are more or less hard and require dedication and good team/team work. This is what raiding is about.

@Phoenixblight, “It shows on the official site.”

No. It does not show anything. It shows that he cleared some of the raids in Cataclysm but not on Time which is the point of the discussion.

and he does not even started progression in Pandaria. He finished only LFR.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Hcw87

The fuck are you talking about? Sinestra was never really ”nerfed”, atleast not that early. Did you even kill her yourself? When you’re part of the best raiding guild on a server, you’re not exactly casual. I’ve yet to see your armory profile.

”Not in time”, just lol.

”and he does not even started progression in Pandaria. He finished only LFR.”

Yeah dude, like i said i haven’t raided since 2011. LFR isn’t raiding for me. Even 5mans in vanilla were harder than LFR.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Phoenixblight

Typical. You move the goal posts to keep yourself from being proven wrong. That is why it’s pointless to even debate with you.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Luciferous

I feel compelled to point out that playing FFXIV-ARR on a gamepad you have access to 8 sets of 16 actions, that’s 128 abilities, that is without using any of those hotkeys for macros.

If a game sets up it’s gamepad interface right you have more than enough room to customise your options.

If you can’t make your game work with that you obviously don’t know how to play efficiently.

#29 10 months ago
  30. DarkElfa

So…much…ePenis…

You guys are gonna put an eye out swinging around all that WoW cock.

#30 10 months ago
  31. fihar

Jesus, Erth.
    Do you even read what you type?

That is sad.

#31 10 months ago
  32. abdooltk

I hope every games will come to PS4 or xbox 1 have one of this technology..

#32 10 months ago
  33. RoboJesus

Erthazus is sad beyond redemption.

#33 10 months ago
  34. Legendaryboss

This was unexpected, truly: http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

#34 10 months ago
  35. Aaron82

MMOs on ps4 should work. some people are forgeting that the ps4 has a touchpad. if its used properly then there shall be no more of this crap about games being “ruined” when made multiplat. games are being ruined to reach mass market.

cannot wait for planetside on the ps4. just hope my AlphaSquad account can be used.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Erthazus

@27, “The fuck are you talking about? Sinestra was never really ”nerfed”, atleast not that early.”

Yes. She was nerfed and in fact there was a legendary achivement on her before the nerf. So if you were from a hardcore-best guild on a server there would be an achievement.

This was your guild, right? http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/thunderhorn/M%C3%A9rcenary/rating.tier11

Yeap. It is. It is semi-hardcore guild at best with 500+ at world for it’s time. Not really an achievement.

“Did you even kill her yourself?”

Nope. I have not killed her right on time. (I killed a nerfed version of it) but I finished Dragon Soul Raid on time on the Heroic difficulty and Mogushan on Heroic difficulty with legendary achievement. After that I dropped WoW (So no Garrosh for me and etc.)
    I started playing WoW since Vanilla but never really got in to the raiding for some reason. My first decent raid encounter was in Burning Crusade from a third content patch. I raided and finished every Lich King raid on Heroic.

Now, look at the score and everything makes sense now with T11. Sorry bro.

@Phoenixblight, just shut up. you have nothing to do with this. You don’t even know what is World Of Warcraft and what Armory is and what progress is about.

#36 10 months ago
  37. sebastien rivas

@8 I hear you well and am with you. Sure I don’t need half my screen loaded with cute stickers, and yet more than 9 stickers would so tremendously help deepen a game that most MMO suffer nowadays considering they ultimately want to be sub but mechanics become at least visually/graphically boring fairly quickly because mechanics just stop right there at 9 or less hotkeys.
    ———————
    Great guys,

Can we go back to EQN?

#37 10 months ago
  38. monkeygourmet

Sony are absolutely killing MS this gen (so far)…

#38 10 months ago
  39. X14EVR

worthy compitition maybe but killing: no
    the only thing sony kill is there own fan count since they have terrible customer service and a even worse online community filled with unmature kids nothing to be proud of
    come over to xbox were you can have ryse forza dead rising and killer instant the obvious best games this gen so far compared to sonys “look at us we like indie games that cost 1$ to make by small african kids coding in a shack somewhere” who seriously wants to play crap pc games that should be on sale on steam because they cant sell for normal price

#39 10 months ago
  40. monkeygourmet

Oh come on! :) the Xbone is weak sauce and it’s plain to see. Under powered and over priced… I was a huge fan of the 360 but it’s clear the Xbone is off to a shitty start.

I’m sure Titanfall in 720p will save the day!

#40 10 months ago
  41. X14EVR

hardly a difference between 720p and 1080p anyway other than one is a little bit clearer its basically another buzzword to get the public tricked into thinking one is better when it isnt
    1080p is to ps4 is what blast processing is to sega a word thats overexagerated and un needed

#41 10 months ago
  42. monkeygourmet

Okaaaaay…

Enjoy your next gen / last gen machine for £429…

#42 10 months ago
  43. RussellGorall

Internet Nerd Fight.

#43 10 months ago
  44. NocturnalB

IVE GOT IT!! Erth is the VG247 family’s Dwight Shrute (the American version of The Office). We love and hate him… On 10/90 scale. Much love Erth. :) FYI the Office is one of my all time favorites. Be sure to make a note of it on all of your secret Santa lists for next year… For me…. You know what go ahead and jot down The Order:1886/Destiny/Dragon Age:Inquisition while you’re all at it.

I’m now expecting an amazing VG247 Christmas party next year…. For me.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Obernox

@44 :D

#45 10 months ago
  46. TheWulf

I’m glad that it’s coming to the PS4. They probably will, but I’m honestly hoping that they won’t segregate the playerbase, either. I wonder if this means that Landmark will also be hitting the PS4? That would be interesting! So I think this is a good thing, all in all.

I’m also glad I won’t be playing a spreadsheet.

I think good game mechanics are defined by understanding moderation. A game like Assassin’s Creed isn’t fun because it’s so minimalistic that it plays itself, almost. And World of Warcraft isn’t that fun because you’re essentially playing a spreadsheet with all of those numbers and bars. To my mind, you’d have to be thoroughly addicted to even begin to find that fun.

Playing the interface rather than playing the game isn’t my idea of a good time. It’s absolutely fascinating though that WoW fans define worth by bigger numbers. The addicted WoW player already defines their self-worth by the numbers on their gear, but they also define the worth of a game by the number of buttons/bars on screen, too?

It’s silly, honestly. Portal had nothing on the screen other than a scrosshair, yet it required a huge amount of skill. Are we to say that Portal is a bad game? The trick is is that Portal required awareness, precision, observation, and thinking. Those are actual skills.

Getting through a chamber fast in Portal made me feel good because ti was taxing and challenging me. It actually asked something from me in order to play it.

On the other hand, I think you can even overdo that. Meat Circus in Psychonauts is a great example of going too far with that. I almost hated myself after completing Psychonauts for sticking it out. Meat Circus could be ridiculously hard, especially for someone disabled. (Then again, on the other hand, I found VVVVVV easy and I was surprised at first when people complained of its difficulty.)

The point is though is that it doesn’t matter how many buttons something has if the gameplay is enjoyable and challenges the player. I don’t think that sitting in front of a spreadsheet and having alerts telling you wish button to push and when (raids) is a challenge. Likewise, I don’t think that holding one button to play a game is, either.

If it feels good to play and it occasionally challenges me rather than invites me to settle into mindless grinding? I’m happy.

#46 10 months ago
  47. TheWulf

That sums up how I feel. The only MMOs I’ve really ever had fun with are those that were made enjoyable by being the anti-thesis of WoW. I’d say that the best examples are probably the first Guild Wars, Free Realms (sad to see it go), The Secret World, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and finally my once-beloved Champions Online (heartlessly slaughtered by endless, ham-fisted nerfs).

Unfortunately, some of those have been ruined by listening to the crowd who wanted the game to be more gear-based and grinding. Frankly, what I’ve found is that the more horizontal something is, the more I enjoy it. I find the grind to be completely unnecessary.

I remember playing Guild Wars: Prophecies back in the day. It was a time before people were conditioned to believe that grind was necessary for an MMO to work. So, instead, we just played the game and had fun with it. Level 20 (the maximum level) was easy to reach. The best skills in the game were obtained via clever capture mechanics from tricksy mobs, rather than having to grind for them.

We didn’t understand why balance was super-important, either, so we had powers across the board. There were also some really nice treats to find out there, and it made it all the more fun. Single player RPGs still have this where you can randomly find stuff around, even early on. An example? I’m playing New Vegas and I found the LAER (guaranteed criticals) within probably three hours of playing, total.

After WoW, everything became about a lack of skill. It was all just this spreadsheet-based vertical grind. It was as though WoW had somehow programmed people to have a number fetish. That number fetish is even carried over to the number of buttons on the screen, the number of bars on the screen. Numbers. WoW fans seem to get really turned on by numbers. Which worries me.

And on the topic of hotbars specifically… Ultima Online didn’t have a hotbar. Did that make it any less of an MMO? I don’t think so.

Frankly, I even think that MMOs where everyone is forced together in public areas are overrated. I want to see more like Guild Wars, where people meet up in a lobby and then head out together as a party in their own personal instance. That way, immersion isn’t ruined by some tween trying to teabag an injured soldier, or whatever else.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Ireland Michael

Numbers are so hot.

#48 10 months ago
  49. viralshag

Who is actually surprised by this? Called it months ago despite all the talk from Sony saying it wouldn’t happen.

#49 10 months ago
  50. Kalain

I remember watching a video last year where an SOE rep said that they were ‘Shocked’ that a 4 button action control scheme would work so well with a PS4 controller.

Shocker!!

I think it’s probably safe to say that anything coming from Sony for the PC will also be available shortly afterwards on the PS4.

#50 10 months ago
  51. Unknown_Gamer

Sweet :D

#51 10 months ago
  52. maritza stokes

Since I started with my online business I earn $45 every one hours. It sounds unbelievable but you won`t forgive yourself if you don’t check it out>>> http://www.T­E­C­8­­0.C­O­M

#52 10 months ago