Steam Machine: 13 models priced & detailed, 250 games running on SteamOS

Tuesday, 7th January 2014 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Valve brought 13 Steam machine models to show to press at CES 2014 – one more than we were expecting after a list of partners published yesterday.

In addition to the dozen manufacturers listed yesterday, Valve had Digital Storm’s machine on show. Photos from the event published by The Verge show a wide variety of boxes, ranging from set-top box sized micro-consoles to consoles the size of a PS4 or Xbox One.

Polygon gathered specs and initial pricing details for the boxes on show from a Valve brochure; see the full list below. Maingear’s Steam Machine was not detailed.

Valve offered no release date information, preferring to leave individual announcements to manufacturers. Instead of making these announcements, it intends to use its CES presence to gather feedback, to assist its partners in crafting the final devices.

Around 250 Steam games support Steam Machines so far.

Valve confirmed that manufacturers will be producing their own versions of the Steam Controller, although Valve will still produce its own model. On that note, Engadget reports Valve hasn’t completely ruled out making its own Steam machine.

The rest of the press event will be devoted to hands-on and interviews; we have staff on the ground and hope to have a full report for you shortly.

• Alternate – $1339
  • Materiel.net – $1,098
    CPU – Intel Core i5 4440
    Graphics – MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
    RAM – 8GB
    Storage – 8 GB + 1 TB SSHD
  • Origin PC Chronos – price TBD
    CPU – Intel Core i7 4770K (3.9 to 4.6 GHz)
    Graphics – 2 x 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titans
  • Zotac – $599
    CPU – Intel Core (TBD)
    Graphics – Nvidia GeForce GTX
    RAM – TBD
    Storage – TBD

1. TheWulf

Looks like a good range of specs and prices!

I really do wish Valve the best of luck with this. Computers, consoles, smartphones, and tablets – the world will be better when all of these devices are completely open, and when all of them can easily and simply cooperate with each other.

It’s going to be a whole, new world when you can sit down and play The Novelist or a modded New Vegas equally on your console, PC, and phone/tablet. I’m really excited about this.

Valve and nVidia are already fairly good friends in the corporate scene, as are nVidia and Google. The three need to unite to create unified open systems for everyone. The only weak link there is nVidia, but once they understand how they have to be in order to do business with their two primary corporate partners, they’ll shape up.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if this were a boat that AMD was disappointed they missed. It seems like ATi pre-AMD would have been a good fit for this, but AMD’s greed landed them with closed system consoles. That’s a shame, really.

#1 9 months ago
  2. sebastien rivas

Ok it is great to see various brands joining the steam wagon.

Though around 250 Steam games support the Steam machine.

And the list of games is….?

#2 9 months ago
  3. UuBuU

Having so many variations won’t exactly help them to take a big slice of the console crowd. The console gamers I know will find this just as confusing as acquiring a standard gaming PC. They don’t want to look at specs and decide which of 13 models is best suited to them.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

@2: Yeah, I would very much like to see that list, and a rough timetable of when they are likely to release…

#4 9 months ago
  5. sh4dow

I wonder how frequently it’ll happen that one has to wait with playing because Steam can’t start and because of that one also can’t enter offline mode.

And whether maybe these things will be incompatible with certain patterns of pot plants around them.

#5 9 months ago
  6. junguler

these prices are complete bullshit, i rather buy a 400-500 bucks console and spend my money on the games not some stupid shit that you have to upgrade in 3 years or sooner even.

#6 9 months ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

MS and Sony won’t be losing any sleep over these then, some of those prices are ridiculous.

#7 9 months ago
  8. FabioPal

@2 go to steampowered.com and look for the Linux compatible games. That’s pretty much the list.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Diingo

If Steam OS is successful…. Google might want to link itself up with Valve. As Microsoft sinks itself from the Windows 8 iceberg; the world needs a new desktop home. Steam OS could become the new platform that extends itself beyond games. There’s still a big market for powerful computers in the business world even though the sales for PCs are shrinking.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Clupula

As a console gamer, that list hurts my head. So many specs and things to figure out. It’s exactly what keeps me away from PC gaming.

#10 9 months ago
  11. NocturnalB

The pricing is a little off-putting. Based purely on price/specs alone I’d sooner just stick with my PC, but what benefits does the steam OS offer to differentiate the Steam machines from a PC with windows? Seems like that’s where the difference maybe lies?

#11 9 months ago
  12. gomersoul

What a massively overcomplicated mess this is. Bombarding people with 13 machines is stupid. How on earth do I know which is best? How on earth do devs optimise these things? Microsoft suffered without clear direction on Xbox one, now valve will follow suit. A single, more powerful machine would have had me tempted, but this? No thanks

#12 9 months ago
  13. Elvis71

In fact there are 284 Games :)

#13 9 months ago
  14. manamana

I would be an interested gamer, since I waited also to purchase a new console (due to lack of games). But then I realized: this is something for the long term. As in 2015/16. This isn’t getting all the AAA praise in 2014. This isn’t the ‘console’ / pre-build-PC I’m looking for.

I’ll keep waiting, s nothing interesting to play for me anyway at this point.

#14 9 months ago
  15. TheBlackHole

You ever struggled shopping for a phone when so many of them use the same operating system?

People deal well enough with Android being on hundreds of models. I don’t see why this is any more complicated.

#15 9 months ago
  16. NaderGomaa

my stepmum got a nearly new green Lexus ES 300h Sedan just by some part-time working online… site link http://goo.gl/vBExKE (Home tab more info)

#16 9 months ago
  17. tenthousandgothsonacid

I just don’t get it – not aimed at me.

The whole reason consoles are popular is they’re manufacturer subsidised and a fixed platform devs can optimise for. Neither of these are true with this.

It’s the new MSX :)

#17 9 months ago
  18. fihar

Yeah, and the pricing made it clear which one’s the high-end, mid-end and low-end.

This is still going to be niche though and much of its success is going to depend on the amount of support the SteamOS is going to have.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Dragon

13 pre-configured PC models announced. Great.

So, the hardware is nowhere here as subsidized as consoles (said so). The price isnt competitive with consoles (said so).

Remind me again why this is more attractive than already existing thing called Personal Computers?
    PCs are available in such form factor too.

@18,
    Does it matter? Shouldnt anyone just buy a normal PC, install windows in it, and be good forever? Its absolutely certain this thing wont get even near to Windows support, and every (unless some dev is a fool to ignore windows and be steamos exclusive. There are hardly any Mac exclusive games) SteamOS game will be available on Windows.

Hell, even Valve itself wont make steamos exclusive games.

#19 9 months ago
  20. DarkSoulz

And people where bitching over XO’s Price LOL Steam Machine will last 2 years max before you need to upgrade/replace, XO or PS4 you wont.

#20 9 months ago
  21. yeoung

You’d figure buying a pre-built pc would reduce the overall costs. After a quick browse around ze webs, I can only conclude that the respective prices cover not only the retail cost of the individual parts, but also leaves a little extra to account for SteamOS and form factor/custom cases.

Not where I thought this would be going at all. I’d rather build my own rig than having to compromise either on price or overall quality of the components.

Edit: The Scan NC10 looks to be particularly poorly priced and powered. How it still manages to break past a cool grant is beyond me.

#21 9 months ago
  22. fihar

Because a PC is personal. The whole point of Steambox is to make a gaming computer for the living room without the hassle.

Ever tried doing local multiplayer in one computer?

#22 9 months ago
  23. Panthro

Plenty of times, if your problem is with the screen size buy a bigger monitor…

I got a 24″ gaming monitor for sitting at my computer right beside my 42″ for watching movies/ playing games in bed.

All that aside, we will see what happens when the SteamBoxes ship, I hope they take off… Im tired of the console industry having a chokehold on the gaming industry as a whole, it isn’t right.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Dragon

@22,
    So whats stopping anyone from doing that using a PC? There is “steam big picture mode” already for that.
    Plus, you can already dual-boot steamos with windows.

#24 9 months ago
  25. fihar

You’re clearly one in a million. The only time I ever used local multiplayer on a computer is when I went over to a friend’s house to play PES together and even that was kinda awkward.

Anyway, the point here is that the SteamBox and its OS is meant for the living room with you on a comfortable couch a few metres away.
    Windows is clearly not meant to be used that way.

Key word here being without the hassle.
    Remember, the Steambox is meant to seduce the general public, not someone who spent $500 on Steam holiday sales.

They didn’t go to all this trouble just to appeal to their already faithful customers.
    That would be blatantly idiotic.

Edit:
    Hmm, now that I think about it, you could just install SteamOS on your computer, ask someone to make a custom casing, and have a dedicated living room PC of your own without having to buy a dedicated SteamBox.

I kinda forgot that the actual OS could be used in any computer.

Shit, the Steambox might not be such a good idea after all.

#25 9 months ago
  26. Sadismek

Damn, I just can’t see why these Steamboxes will have any success. I mean, if you want that ‘Steam experience’ you could always build a rig for your own budget, which will most likely be cheaper and maybe slightly than the Steambox counterpart, install SteamOS and even buy a Steam controller.

#26 9 months ago
  27. Panthro

“You must be either extremely lazy to look into components, order them and set everything up or completely naught about PCs.”

Like the vast majority of console users.

#27 9 months ago
  28. gomersoul

Comparing it to the smartphone market is precisely my point. That is saturated with apps that can’t run on all of them and none optimised for any device, meaning a 400 quid phone runs nothing the 300 can’t do because why would you develop a game for the top end when you can push out shovelware and make fucktons of money? If that is pc gaming in my living room then I’m out.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Tormenter

No.. Google need to stay the fuck away from everything, they’ve become to big and they now think they own the net.. Google needs to die.

#29 9 months ago