Windows 8 gaining traction with Steam users, Windows 7 still most popular OS

Saturday, 4th January 2014 16:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It appears Windows 8 is gaining traction with Steam users, as the latest hardware survey points out. According to Valve’s statistics, W8 is installed on 20% of machines using the Steam service, which is more than Linux and Mac users combined – accounting for 4.63%. Windows 7 is still the most popular OS with the userbase, with over 60% of users. Granted, not all Steam users participate in the hardware survey, so these figures aren’t comprehensive. Thanks, PCgamesN.

1. pukem0n

in before some idiots claim Windows 8 is useless because of their own stupidity :)

#1 8 months ago
  2. Asgaro

Sad.
    20% of the gamers were forced to use Win 8 because it came preinstalled on their PC. :-/

#2 8 months ago
  3. TheWulf

You’re being ironic, of course. Yes? You are, aren’t you? As only the most witless would roll over and accept the Apple-like antics of Windows 8 over the open system they already have.

We should not be supporting Microsoft’s aim to make Windows more like iOS, with ever-increasing restrictions and lockdowns. This isn’t about usability any more, this is about basic user rights. It’s pathetic that some are so weak-willed that they’ll just roll over and accept things like closed systems and UEFI because it’s simpler to do so, less of a hassle. They’re what I refer to as ‘lazy-brained,’ they’re not self aware enough to consider their own actions. It’s fine if you started off with a closed system and don’t know any better, that’s completely excusable, but to have an open system which you’ll so readily sacrifice out of laziness? That is inexcusable.

But at some point down the line, Microsoft is going to build an OS that you’re going to jump to that can’t run mods, and won’t run games unless bought directly from the Microsoft store. At that point, I’m going to be laughing at the early adopters so, so, so hard. You’ll rage so hard about it, but you’ll only have brought it on yourself with your own total obliviousness.

I see it coming. Gabe saw it coming. And if you’re not being ironic, then you’re just not aware enough of the world around you to see it coming. Have fun with your glorified iOS computer. I’ll stick with my real computer. Thanks.

Edit: Honestly. With seeing how they’re leaving people who bought GfWL games out in the cold, shackled with DRM that they won’t remove, you have so much faith in them still?

Are you just utterly clueless? Aren’t you paying attention? Is it really just a lack of self awareness, as I think it is? It seems to be. Pay attention, for your own sake.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

My God! Was the obvious joke lost on one’s mind or did he not see the obvious joking tone and the even more than obvious smiley face, which might give away the possibility that @1 was just joking and not to be taken seriously.

#4 8 months ago
  5. sebastien rivas

@3 hehehe I could not have done it better.

Look at @1, I have nothing against MS windows 8 per se but the fact that the OS User Experience lacks of everything but makes sure to make me feel dumb through unnecessary eye candies. After all buddy boy, I went through all Windows out there since DOS, so I would not say win 8 is useless unless I am a new comer to windows world, but as for the rest of windows users which bear some experience to back it up is somewhat naive and does NOT call on those users at all!!!

Maybe windows 9, who knows, perhaps MS will have their head back on their shoulders. In the meantime, no thank you.

#5 8 months ago
  6. lolatfanboys

Oh wow the competition Windows 7 vs Windows 8, I wonder who will win?

#6 8 months ago
  7. Digital Bamboo

My workplace still uses XP, and, as far as I know, has no plans to upgrade before Microsoft ends support.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Kreion

Oh my god you’re such a melodramatic so-and-so aren’t you?

As someone who doesn’t intent to upgrade any time soon, but was still curious about 8, I attempted to look up where the most negative feedback was coming from on Windows 8. And what would you know, none of your ‘complaints’ seemed to be on any of the lists or discussions. Many of the complaints were more focused on the UI or on elements which weren’t intuitive – which are completely valid in many cases. So please, stop acting like you are some sort of PC guru or the ‘last sane man’ who can see the flaws in everything.

If you want to use Steam OS, go ahead, but personally I’m going to keep using widows because ALL my programs run on it – not just games.

#8 8 months ago
  9. rasmithuk

Anyone else find it funny that #3′s solution to an ‘OS with a currently optional store’, is to move to a ‘store with a currently optional OS’?

Microsoft know as much as they might like the idea of only allowing their store, doing it would get them in so much anti-trust trouble it’s not worth the trouble.
    The simpler option is to make their store the default and allow others (the same route that Google take with Android).

On the other hand, if in two years Valve decided that Steam will only run on SteamOS then they’d able to do it without any legal problems at all.

@8 All of 3′s complaints are what he thinks will happen, not what is the case at the moment.
    His comments about UEFI would suggest he’s hasn’t done much research into actually running Windows 8.

UEFI has a few advantages but regardless of what 3 would have you believe it doesn’t restrict what you can do on your system.

SecureBoot, the thing he’s really complaining about, builds on top of UEFI to prevent malicious software from injecting drivers or making other low level changes on your system.
    It can, obviously, prevent other operating systems from being booted on hardware. Microsoft’s own requirements force system builders to include an option to disable secure boot on all desktop/laptop systems.

That said, I don’t really care which OS I used. I’ve been using Linux on since 1995, used Macs for around 5 years before getting sick of the limited hardware choice and Windows in and around all of them (include 8.1 at the moment). Window’s just tends to let me do what I want without having to fiddle with it (the main reason I don’t run Linux as my primary OS).

#9 8 months ago