Elite: Dangerous alpha adds Oculus Rift, 3D TV and Track IR support

Friday, 20th December 2013 16:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Elite: Dangerous studio Frontier Developments has confirmed that its space sim now includes Oculus Rift, 3D TV and Track IR support.

RPS was lucky enough to give Rift support a whirl while visiting Frontier. Their report explains that as with many Rift titles, a simple tilt of the head will allow players to look around in realtime. You can even look over your shoulder and back into your ship to a degree. Looking down at your pilot reveals them to be bodiless at the moment, although Frontier told the site that it’ll add an avatar in later.

The ship’s targeting cross-hairs were also absent, but Braben explained, “They were disabled as they didn’t have a position on 3D. We’re experimenting with them at different 3D distances in the world – it feels wrong to have the gun-sight feel like it is inside the cockpit but should be further out into the world – a bit like they do with HUDs in real planes or even in some recent cars like BMWs. We will tune it until it feels ‘right’ but this is the beauty of an Alpha – we can adjust it over time.”

It follows Frontier’s December alpha test dev diary. Watch it here.

Are you keen for Elite: Dangerous? Let us know below.

1. sebastien rivas

We need more VR support

#1 10 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Can’t wait for this, really need a space sim in my life at the moment, haven’t played one since Freelancer but I’ve recently been dabbling in STO and Star Conflict which has brought back my urge to play an awesome space game. Got my eye on Entropy early access on Steam, looks pretty promising.

So glad this genre is coming back, Freelancer could quite possibly be my all time favourite game.

#2 10 months ago
  3. TERMINATOR-SSD

TrackIR support, Thank GOD

#3 10 months ago
  4. Natalie J. Yang

I’m making $78 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do,… http://goo.gl/ObvVMU

#4 10 months ago
  5. Catherine E. Kinyon

just as Adam answered I am surprised that some one can profit $9628 in one month on the computer. browse around this website… http://bit.do/fEKa

#5 10 months ago