Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor screenshots boast epic credentials

Monday, 16th December 2013 14:57 GMT By Dave Owen

Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor, the new open world game from F.E.A.R. developer Monolith, was recently unveiled in Game Informer. Now a handful of screenshots and a single piece of concept art are right here for you to run your hungry eyes over. Have a look below.

Shadows of Mordor tells the story of Talion, a ranger who is murdered by the forces of Sauron. A spirit of vengeance decides to resurrect him, and Talion sets out to have his revenge. One screenshot gives a first glimpse of the supernatural powers this undead ranger will be able to wield in battle.

It’s all due in 2014, for both new and old consoles. Hopefully we’ll get a more thorough look at it soon.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. monkeygourmet

Phwoar! Lovely credentials!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dark

Looks good so far.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lubu

709×399 ? really ? next-gen is here and yet screens are sub,sub subHD ?

in EG screens are 1080p

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

I have a feeling Tolkien wouldn’t like this game’s concept.

And by that, I mean J.R.R. Tolkien, not his son. Not a complaint, but an observation.

#4 1 year ago
  5. karma

Open world + LOTR you say?

Hmmm. This I might be able to get behind. Is there an RPG to add in there too, or are we talking a simple hack n slash actioner here?

Cross my fingers for the former. I always dreamed of playing an Elder Scrolls LOTR game.

#5 1 year ago
  6. deathm00n

@4 I hope they don’t butcher the story, like having people living in mordor, makes no sense. If it is going to be open world they will probably make villages in mordor…

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

@6: I wouldn’t be too surprised about people living in Mordor, not because it’s open world, but because there are essentially human enemies from the East in Middle-Earth that fight on Sauron’s side.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Luciferous

@6 and 7 – Plus Mordor before the return of Sauron was a blighted land, but liveable.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@8: Yeah, I vaguely remember that. I’m not a hardcore Tolkien fan in any way, I just have barely enough knowledge of Tolkien’s inspirations and the fictional world to be able to say and ask a few things. And even at the most basic, Mordor DOES have “people” in it, it’s just it’s possible none of those people are human, elf, dwarf or hobbit.

#9 1 year ago
  10. derpachu

I love middle earth and the lore behind it. Hopefully isn’t a just some fanfic story

#10 1 year ago
  11. sebastien rivas

Humm the way the hero comes to be is a bit too easy finding. Just like you I hope a lot for the better but so far nothing substantially screaming RPG and likely to be H&S :/

Hope I am wrong

#11 1 year ago
  12. The_Red

@salarta
    I’d be more worried about what Tolkien might feel about recent Hobbit films from Peter Jackson. At least this game isn’t directly part of a main book series (Unless we count some of the middle-earth related stuff from other Tolkien books).

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@12: True, I’m not sure he would’ve liked some of the changes made to his work through the films either. One notable one is that Tolkien had a chapter where the hobbits find the Shire in ruins and take it back, and Peter Jackson decided not to include it in the films. As you suggested, at least the name of the game and its premise and all do much to make it clear that this is more of a thing inspired by Tolkien’s work. The films, on the other hand, are a mix of books and Peter Jackson’s ideas, and that can easily make clueless people think it’s mostly faithful when it’s not.

#13 1 year ago