Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes star Kiefer Sutherland helped raise bar, says Kojima

Monday, 9th December 2013 14:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroe’s Snake is voiced by 24 star Kiefer Sutherland, much to the annoyance of many David Hayter fans. Kojima has explained that the demands of the role needed someone like him, and helped raise the bar in terms of expression and performance.

It follows the announcement of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes’ release date, along with two new trailers and Raiden DLC.

Now, Xbox Wire has spoken with Hideo Kojima, who explained what Sutherland’s performance brought to the table.

“It’s no longer just about the words that a character speaks,” Kojima explained, “it’s about the depth of their facial performance and the expressive tone of their voice. As technology evolves, it’s vital that the expressiveness of the characters in the game evolve to match the capabilities of the hardware. Kiefer is helping us to raise the bar in that respect, and I’m looking forward to the final result.”

Kojima also discussed the nature of Ground Zeroes’ open world. He clarified, “First of all, to avoid confusion, I would like to clarify that my vision for “MGSV” does differ a bit from what most people may assume when they think of the current “Open-World” genre. A more accurate way to describe it would be a “stealth simulator” in an open world environment.

“The open world elements exist to remove the rails from the stealth experience, allowing players to freely plan their own routes and experiment with their own unique infiltration strategies. However, at its heart, the gameplay is all about stealth and we don’t intend to shift the focus away from that.”

Are you happy with Sutherland’s adoption of Hayter’s role? Let us know below.

1. Luciferous

I’m still pissed at Hayter’s treatment.

Unless he shows up in some fashion as Young Snake

#1 1 year ago
  2. Beta

Am I happy about Hayter being replaced? No.

It just smacks of trying to stick a “famous name” on the game

And this exclusive mission crap has pissed me off as well. I was a massive fan of MGS but I just cannot get excited about this game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

So that guy from that one 9/11 Paranoia Series is raising the bar, hm? Couldn’t have been that high.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Judicas

@3 9/11 paranoia series? /facepalm

#4 1 year ago
  5. Max Payne

@3 Maybe he is not the best actor on TV but he is more then capable portraying Snake

#5 1 year ago
  6. Panthro

Wow, Keifer may not have a croaky voice like Hayter but he is still more than capable of playing Big Boss.

To be honest I like the idea of Keifer doing Big Boss more than I like the idea of Hayter doing it, Keifer matches the character more.

Hayter can return when Solid Snake grows up and burns Big Boss to the ground…

^ CANT WAIT!

+ He was in Lost Boys and Stand By Me, classic movies…

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Hes a terrible lazy actor in movies aswell, unless the part actually interests him.

So for every Dark City theres a hundred others like Mirrors.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Erthazus

http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-will-launch-march-18-1479516195 – superb gameplay videos.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

Just what we needed. Another douchebag.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Panthro

‘Solid fox’ is an easily memorable name, from now on this ‘cunt’ will just scroll past your posts…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bomba Luigi

This Game changes so much of what MGS was, its not just the Voice. That in no Way means it will be bad, I strongly doubt that, but I just dont know if it is something I want. Time will need to tell that, but for now I dont really wanna spend Money on that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phasmatis75

So that’s the source of that god awful voice acting.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Which is it? Raised the bar in outrage? Raised the bar in rudeness? Raised the bar in supposed mediocrity? (I can’t judge yet)

#13 1 year ago
  14. G-Sama

lol the irony .. when we raged about changing the ENTIRE character from the bottom up in DmC everyone went : “oh , look at fanboys raging about hair” and “lawl gamers need to grow up” ..
    but when a voice actor changes .. which is ONLY the voice of a beloved character , everyone demands his return and rages to bring back the old actor …
    atleast in our case it was a whole iconic character being changed , not just the voice for it .. just saying *smh*

#14 1 year ago
  15. lexph3re

I’m probably one of the biggest Metal Gear heads around. But, as for the voice I am okay with Hideo’s choice. I am a metal gear fan before a hayter fan, and if Hideo wants to try something new more power to him. I want to see a metal gear with the boss. She is such an amazing character and the strongest female character ever made in gaming in my honest opinion.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Takeshi

I’ll only play this game if Kojima has Kiefer repeatedly saying “damn it!”

#16 1 year ago
  17. 313714

thanks for asking.I must say that in somewhere in metal gear games(that I dont want to spoil),we saw that snake &bis boss see together.imagine if kojima just wants to change voice of the bog boss NOT snake!I hopefully say that we will hear david hayters voice again but in future games,those that snake is in there:) Lol

#17 1 year ago
  18. Beta

“You cunts, you idiots, some bastard, you assholes”

Do you have insult tourettes?..

That’s rhetorical, I don’t care :)

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

The animation transitions look AWFUL in some of the videos people have posted. Is this still very much work in progress as Snake doesn’t really look like he belongs in the world at the moment?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Legendaryboss

Well the game doesn’t launch until March, it could be an old build and as for Snake not belonging in the world?

OMG I Don’t Even Know What To Say. OMG OMG OMG! What are you on?

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Only going by the videos. Purely from an animation perspective, he didn’t seem that weighted or a part of the world he was running / climbing around in.

That’s why I wondered it was an old build. I didn’t expect TLOU for animations in this, but the FOX engine looks really nice, it would be a shame if this falls down on small details. If your hiding in cover a lot, that has to feel great.

Basically any gameplay element that you are doing for 80% of the game (shooting / jumping / driving / whatever), has to feel awesome and shouldn’t in anyway be ‘clunky’.

That’s why I found it so hard to get into previous MGS games. The controls just were not good enough from a stealth perspective (at least not for me).

One thing they should be able to remove now is ‘holding a button’ to go into cover. Tomb Raider showed it is possible to have an intelligent and fluid method of snapping in and out of cover. It made games using a Gears of War style ‘sticky’ cover system look out of date in comparison. I hope they nail that (and sort some transitional animations out) in this title.

#21 1 year ago
  22. AlainEgli

my Aunty Harper recently got a new gold Hyundai Sonata Sedan by working part time from a macbook. visit this site right here http://goo.gl/4Bw5h6

#22 1 year ago
  23. AlainEgli

my mom just got Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible by working part-time from a macbook. go now http://goo.gl/j6Glhq

#23 1 year ago
  24. Major Mayhem 70

I guess I’ll be buying this for the X1.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Kuwabara

i expect this game to run better on ps4.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Darkfield

THANK ODIN!!! You can turn that shit mark/tag feature off, I was very disappointed they implemented this feature, now at least I can turn it off.

#26 1 year ago