“I know I’m a douche”: Fallout 4 hoaxer explains why he did it

Monday, 9th December 2013 12:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Fallout 4′s Survivor 2299 teaser site was confirmed as fakeby Bethesda over the weekend, and now the perp behind the prank has come clean to explain why he did it.

We posted Bethesda’s confirmation here.

The hoaxer took to this Reddit AMA to discuss the ploy, colourfully titled, “Uhm, Hello? I’m the Prick behind thesurvivor2299.” He admitted that he had to stop once Bethesda got in touch.

Explaining the matter, he said, “Some men just want to watch the world burn. I wanted to force Bethesda to reveal something during VGX, and bring [the Reddit] Fallout community together (for at least 3 weeks). Unfortunately, this plan failed.”

“I’m one of these ‘selfish bastards with a lot of money’ so I wanted to release a CGI trailer. But Pete [Hines, Bethesda's PR boss] killed my plans. Maybe I’ll release it later along with the script, so somebody else can use it… I don’t wan’t to piss off Bethesda at this time even more.”

He added that he still plans on releasing the CGI trailer after December 11 and the whole scam cost around $900, a figure which the pranker said meant nothing to him, adding, “I know I’m a douche.”

He revealed that Bethesda warned him about possible backlash from gamers, and admitted that he has since received death threats.

Well, he sure fooled us and most of the gaming press. Bravo.

Is Fallout 4 still happening though? Let us know what you think below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. matirishhh

Death threats? Some people need to go out a little bit more…

#1 8 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Yeah, what a twat.

It wasn’t even that funny because we know the game will be announced at some point.

That money could have gone to a much better cause.

#2 8 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

What did you just say?!!!

I’ll kill you!!!

#3 8 months ago
  4. Gamoc

I don’t really think there’s any question about whether or not Fallout 4 is happening: of course it is.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Panthro

Hahaha as much as I want a Fallout 4 this was quite funny to see…

He may be a douche to you guys but come on, its only a game stop getting so worked up about it not being real.

I appreciate the effort he went through to do all this, it’s quite amusing if I’m honest.

#5 8 months ago
  6. wicktus

Just a bad joke, death threats ? My god…

#6 8 months ago
  7. DiodeX

the internet is full of silly!
    quite LOL though.

#7 8 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

Evidence of the death threats?

Also saying:

“I’m one of these ‘selfish bastards with a lot of money’ &

Some men just want to watch the world burn”

Kind of excludes you from complaining when people get pissed off at you.

He sounds like a twat.

Edit:

And:

“I wanted to force Bethesda to reveal something during VGX/ on 12/11, and bring /r/Fallout community together (for at least 3 weeks) Unfortunately, this plan Failed.”

So which was it? To troll fans or force Bethesda….

#8 8 months ago
  9. TrickyAudio

Death threats? Gamers are fucking mental.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

@8 Why not ask him?

JM

#10 8 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

How would I do that? I don’t have a twatter account? (well, one that I know how to use anyway).

Maybe the article could include his statement about recieving death threats? It must be on reddit, but I couldn’t see it.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Joe Musashi

Accounts are free. Also, Reddit Ask Me Anythings are for, you know, asking the person stuff. If you don’t know how to use a service, read an FAQ and use CTRL+F.

JM

#12 8 months ago
  13. Phasmatis75

@8 His story is full of holes. He also claimed he wanted to make it a mod for New Vegas but couldn’t get a team together. So he has the money to run this (he estimated about $1000) but not enough to get mod team together. He also claims that Bethesda won’t let him talk, but it seems they’re okay with him doing an AMA.

Frankly I don’t believe him, I think he’s working for ether Bethesda or Zenimax or an ad agency since I don’t buy the phone number into Zenimax’s office, or that he could alter official Fallout posters on the store to look like a map of Boston or change Bethesda’s Youtube Page to be Fallout related.

When they announce Fallout 4 (which could be sooner or later) they’ll probably also talk about how this whole thing was an elaborate hoax and I think a lot of gamers are going to be livid that Bethesda treated the Fallout Community so poorly.

#13 8 months ago
  14. soqquatto

that’s some nice paranoia you’ve got there.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Phasmatis75

@14 why thank you. But it’s not paranoia, I’m just not going to forget a load of coincidences, because someone is claiming it’s fake now. I’ve got my theories on what happened, but I think the site was really counting down to a Fallout 4 announcement.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Mus42

1) The guy who set this up is a grade A arsehole, I hope he enjoyed his laugh at other peoples expense

2) Bethesda are stupid for not announcing that the site was nothing to do with them or Fallout, all they had to do was tweet something along those lines rather than their usual “we don’t comment on speculation” bullshit

#16 8 months ago
  17. Phasmatis75

@16 It’s also worth mentioning that he said that Fallout 4 was in development and would be announced soon in that AMA. Original end date was the 11th so I’m just going to wait and see what happens on that date.

It’s a convenient story that he is a grade A asshole, and that describes Pete Hine pretty well, but aside from that there are way to many coincidences during this whole thing that I’m not just going to buy that story. I will only buy that story after Fallout 4 is announced and it has absolutely nothing to do with Boston.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Darkfield

Gamers are mental, because a man who claims to be rich as fuck, loves to watch the world burn, misleads thousands of gamers, claiming that he received death threats and über sensitive schuttas immediately gang up and throw words like mental, retards, etc out to create separation and unbrand themselves so no one would mistake them for a mental case. People say shit when they’re angry all the time it doesn’t mean anything. And you’d take the word of liar, a deceiver, a guy who confessed of being a douche for fact?! Now that is mental indeed.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Asgaro

I would buy this man a beer.
    You have to give it to him that he knows how to create hype!

And sad to see people can get so upset about hoaxes. It’s like their life depends on it. It’s pathetic.

#19 8 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

I think people are forgetting, the minute someone says they have money to burn on something like this ruins any finesse attached to it.

If you have shit loads of money, you could do this all day long. There is nothing ‘clever’ about it.

Coupled with the fact his story flip flops somewhat, he clearly is a twat wasting everyones time.

At least Jeremy Beadle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beadle%27s_About) used to dress up as a police man with a fake beard (and he already HAD a beard… 2 Beards for double the manlyness) when trolling people. He took it ‘to the streets’ and got in your grill before he pretended to crush your car…

All this guy did was hide behind his monitor and wallet. He is a coward in every sense of the word.

#20 8 months ago
  21. TheBlackHole

@20 Chillax MG. Jesus.

And being a twat doesn’t mean you deserve death threats for a harmless (if relatively unfunny) prank.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Cobra951

There was a fake website on the internet? I’m SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell you. Kill the bastards!

#22 8 months ago
  23. Djoenz

Death threats what a bunch of no lifers pff…

#23 8 months ago
  24. Pitts

@21- I don’t feel sorry for the guy in the slightest.

As for death threats, I’m surprised at some comments making this out to seem like it’s a gamer thing. Piss off any passionate fanbase and you will get death threats esp. over the internet.

I’m not making light of them, but they elicit absolutely no sympathy from me for this man.

#24 8 months ago
  25. salarta

That’s one thing that bugs me about people. I can understand being upset and angry, I can even understand wanting consequences as severe as someone being fired or demoted if their actions seem malevolent and heartless enough, but death threats is a bridge too far.

The only problem I see here is that the guy spent $900 on a hoax that could have gone to something more beneficial.

#25 8 months ago
  26. fearmonkey

He doesn’t deserve death threats, but all the guy’s actions did was frustrate alot of people that wanted real information on the next Fallout or Bethesda game. We all know it’s coming, and Todd Howard announced Skyrim at one of the Vga’s so it was all in the realm of a possibility.

I cannot wait till the next game is announced, it’s looking like it’s going to be awhile now though, probably not coming till next fall now. We will get some type of tease and a bit of gameplay, but it wont be till E3 that they show it off in earnest most likely.

Howard or Hines mentioned that they had two games in mind for the Skyrim engine, and I figured Fallout 4 wouldnt take too long then, so 2 to 3 years is all I could see it taking.

#26 8 months ago
  27. Obernox

Yep, i would totally murder his ass. /JK
    .Ahem…..

#27 8 months ago
  28. 313714

after all,he still didnt explained about whay he told #### you at the end of his teaser!…

#28 8 months ago