“Capcom’s had its missteps, it’s learning,” says Dead Rising 3 producer

Thursday, 28th November 2013 12:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Capcom has made a few mistakes over the years, but Dead Rising 3 producer Mike Jones has touted several big games to come from the publisher over the next few years,

It follows a wave of poor financial reports out of Capcom’s Japanese HQ, suggesting that games such as Resident Evil 6, DmC: Devil May Cry and Lost Planet 3 have tumbled below sales expectations. Monster Hunter 4 on the other hand, has proved an explosive success.

Speaking with OXM, Capcom Vancouver’s Mike Jones reflected on the state of the company today, and explained, “Capcom is in a growth and adjustment period. The game’s changed, new consoles are coming out… Everything’s not out there in the open, right? There are portfolio discussions about next gen and mobile and digital and all this kind of stuff. They’re well aware of our history, our strong properties, strong franchises, and they absolutely want to make the best content for gamers.

“I promise you that everybody who works at Capcom is a huge Capcom fan. There’s nobody who works at Capcom who’s like ‘yeah, whatever’ – most people f**king love Capcom. So they’re definitely having all the right discussions, but it’s a big company, a big global company, and it’s hard to get all those pieces moving in the right direction quickly.”

On the issue of recent failures from Capcom, and what he next few years might have in store, Jones continued, “I think as the new console generation develops, there’s a lot of new stuff coming. Deep Down on PS4, Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One, trying to bring back Strider… Capcom’s had its missteps, it’s learning, it’s definitely trying to make quality content – if nothing else, I can say that Capcom has always valued quality. That message might not always seem obvious, but definitely from the inside, I can promise you that their decisions are based on getting the best quality content.

“Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they work with partners who – sometimes games won’t come out right, because there isn’t enough funding or time or whatever it is, but they’re trying and I think they’re on the right track. If you look at their track record over the past year or two, there have been some successes in there, some failures in there, and a lot of lessons to be learned, people are listening and they’re learning, and I think you’ll see a lot of big stuff over the next couple of years.”

Do you think Capcom can turn things around? Have you tried Dead Rising 3 yet? Let us know what you think below.

1. Djoenz

Crapcom never too old to learn.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Kieran

Yea capcom needs to learn people will get fed up with their crap like milking the street fighter series and dlc ! I do like them mainly because I love the resident evil series but what where they thinking with 6 a massive fly with leon. and a giant killer fish haha it would do better if did go back to straight up horror imo

#2 5 months ago
  3. Creepy

“everybody who works at [Company name] is a huge [Company name] fan”

“[Company name] had its missteps, it’s learning, it’s definitely trying to make quality content”

PR Bullshit 101

#3 5 months ago
  4. salarta

I call bullshit.

Not on Mike Jones. He might believe everything he’s saying. But he’s wrong, and anyone that’s actually paid attention to Capcom’s antics knows he’s wrong.

An employee that’s a huge fan of the company doesn’t purposely dick over creators like Inafune that have worked at the company for decades. They don’t consider releasing a demo to a much loved and anticipated game with the idea of making fans pay for a DEMO to “prove” they want the game. They don’t try to force reboots that go completely against what makes the franchise and its characters what they are just for a chance to pull in cheap gimmicks and follow whatever bullshit they think sells these days, and they don’t go out of the way to bash the fans and the franchise’s main character and try to make the main character out to be bad despite having obviously been good enough to spawn a whole franchise. They also wouldn’t treat important iconic franchise characters like nobodies in a game made to celebrate that franchise’s anniversary.

For me to believe for one second that the people that have say in anything at Capcom actually are fans of Capcom, I would need to see: 1) Resident Evil 7 starring Jill and Claire without any of the characters that were in RE6 tagging alongside them (except MAYBE Sherry), 2) Devil May Cry 5 continuing the DMC franchise properly, or 3) Megaman Legends 3 restarted without any money-grubbing bullshit. A fix of the first would show the team can show respect to core franchise characters they have been treating poorly for the past five years, a fix to the second would show they have respect for their core IPs as more than mere product to sell to a demographic, and a fix to the third would show they actually understand how to appreciate and respect their fans as more than a source of revenue.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Clupula

@5 – God, you are so very full of shit sometimes. You invoke Inafune, yet you’re always going on and on about how you hate Western created remakes.

Do you know whose idea DmC was? Inafune! Do you know who approved of making a gritty Megaman FPS? Inafune! The man spent more time putting down the Japanese gaming industry and tearing down everything you’re always so self-righteous about that it’s hilarious that you’d try to bring up him being “dicked over” while decrying so many of the things that he brought to the table.

#5 5 months ago
  6. absolutezero

That fucking creepy female character fetish. I mean surely what you would need to see from Resident Evil 7 would be the game being good over who the fucking star is.

I hope its Chris just to upset you.

On Topic :

Dead Rising 3 is in my opinion the best of the launch titles on either machine. Its superb. It fixes almost all my gripes with series in general. Its now just a huge silly sandbox of death with no real pressure, so now you have time to explore and sight see and just muck about in co-op. I drove to the other side of the map in a co-op game today just to pick up the Shark costume and come back to my partner. By the time I got back he had changed into a Lucha Libre outfit of his own. While wearing a Servbot head.

So if Capcom can stay hands off enough to let teams like this create game of this quality then I don’t think Capcom are quite dead yet.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Clupula

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, it’s really not hard to see how to become a successful company again. I think they’ve finally reached that magic spot where they can get out from under the shadow of Inafune’s ghost, and start being a Japanese company again.

Capcom, like a few other companies, seems to have forgotten that what got them their popularity in the first place was their Japanese output. There’s a reason why Street Fighter and Monster Hunter are their only big successes these days (Resident Evil would be, if they could learn to temper their budgets a bit). Nobody wanted to play a Western remake of Devil May Cry, nobody wanted to play the bland-looking Remember Me or a Dead Space-rip version of Lost Planet.

Fans still cry out for things like an Okami sequel and Darkstalkers (even if the recent digital version failed…which was due to it being two arcade ports instead of a more complete Darkstalkers game, like Vampire Savior 2, not due to the franchise itself) and Megaman and Breath of Fire and Onimusha. These are the franchises that your company was built on.

Inafune’s self-hatred began the company on a path of looking at what was successful and trying to copy it, instead of just doing their own thing, and letting success come to them. Now that he is gone (people do forget that he was one of the reasons why the members of Clover left to form Platinum), it is time to embrace your Japaneseness again and to revisit the franchises that brought you fame.

And get those budgets under control! 90% of the game industry would fellate their fathers for the sales RE6 had, but they spent so much money on it and had such a giant team that it was considered a flop. There’s no need for things like that to happen! In fact, Resident Evil 7 does not need to be about saving the world. If it’s a quiet tale of a character or character trying to survive, it’ll still sell as well as if you try to make it a Hollywood blockbuster.

And a title like Breath of Fire could easily pull Tales Of level sales if they were to just keep it budget-smart and sales-realistic.

Capcom can be salvaged and it’s not hard to do so. They just have to start being smarter and get over Inafune’s anti-Japanese/pro-Western bullshit.

Either way, I’m still really anxious to play Ultra Street Fighter IV.

#7 5 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

@5: “They don’t consider releasing a demo to a much loved and anticipated game with the idea of making fans pay for a DEMO to “prove” they want the game.”

But isn’t that what kickstarter is basically doing? They are still a company and the game you’re talking about did cost money and did not make enough.

“A fix of the first would show the team can show respect to core franchise characters they have been treating poorly for the past five years,”

Let me get this straight, you want the guys who continue to show lack of respect for any of their franchises, characters, etc. to continue working on those franchises, instead of someone who cares, like say Ninja Theory?

And seriously tone down your obsession with female characters. You’re a real creep.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

“Nobody wanted to play a Western remake of Devil May Cry, nobody wanted to play the bland-looking Remember Me or a Dead Space-rip version of Lost Planet.”

Sorry Nobody? I actually enjoyed Ninja Theory’s DMC. I actually thought it was the best in the series right next to the original.

#9 5 months ago
  10. Clupula

7 – No, RE7 could be a note for note copy of Operation Raccoon City and, as long as it only starred his waifus, I’m sure he’d buy it.

#10 5 months ago
  11. absolutezero

You’ll find those two things go right hand in hand. A dislike of the series technical gameplay and setting/story and an appreciation of the simplified combat of the reboot.

Kinda like the people that like Ninja Gaiden 3 over the rest of the series.

#11 5 months ago
  12. salarta

@7: “That fucking creepy female character fetish.” And yet you ignore what I said about Devil May Cry, which involves a male character. :) Also, I like how my caring about female characters makes it a “creepy” “fetish.” If they were male characters, I guarantee you wouldn’t be calling it a “creepy male character fetish.”

#12 5 months ago
  13. YoungZer0

@10: Same here. But he knows that and it drives him mad. Completed DMC3 HD last week and apart from it aging poorly, I really have to wonder why people liked this Dante at all.

I remember really disliking him back when the game came out, but my opinion of him only got worse. He’s a fucking fratboy with a limited set of one-liners. Always talking about some kind of party and whoohooo-ing everywhere he goes.

I mean that one fight scene with “Lady” (who came up with that?) alone is enough to judge that fool. She basically tells Dante (while fighting him) that the Priest killed and murdered innocent people and you know what Dante said to this? “Whooohooo!”

Fuck him.

#13 5 months ago
  14. Clupula

And as I’ve said before, people who don’t like the original DMC series don’t count. You guys got your game. It was made specifically for you. The guy who made the previous DMC games and Dragon’s Dogma has started publicly talking about how much he wants to do DMC5. There’s other people with Capcom who have also brought up DMC5. They pretend DmC never existed, though, after the poor sales.

So, you guys got your game, and it looks like Capcom will be coming back to what their fans want.

You guys don’t count, because you were never fans in the first place. Just like how I hate the Call of Duty series. If they were to reboot it and change it around just so I’d like it, it would end up being something Call of Duty fans would think is an abomination.

So, when it comes to the Call of Duty series, because there are millions who like it the way it is, my opinion doesn’t count.

Just like how it turned out yours didn’t count for Devil May Cry. You can go and play your one game and we can look forward to when they bring back the old gameplay and characters.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Clupula

@14 – And it doesn’t “drive me crazy” that you like DmC. It makes me think you have vastly different tastes than I do, that’s all.

I’m not like, “That random guy on the internet likes a game I don’t! FUCK HIM! FROM HELL’S HEART I STAB AT THEE!”

No, I just disagree with you. That’s all.

#15 5 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 I’m a fan of the original Devil May Cry – played them all to completion multiple times, and I still very much enjoyed DmC. I prefer to just take it as it is, a completely new approach. They’re so different that I don’t feel a comparison is even necessary.

It’s possible to like both.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Phoenixblight

You are hilarious going with the whole “Your not a fan if _____(insert opinion)”

Sorry what? I have played every single DMC game to date so I am as much of a fan as you are just because I liked the reboot more doesn’t make me any less of a fan than you.

#17 5 months ago
  18. absolutezero

Oh salarta, that would be a fine statement if you did not have a long and storied history of being a creepy weirdo here.

Its not “caring about female characters”, theres nothing wrong with having your favourites from the series, thats fine but saying :

“For me to believe for one second that the people that have say in anything at Capcom actually are fans of Capcom, I would need to see: 1) Resident Evil 7 starring Jill and Claire without any of the characters that were in RE6 tagging alongside them (except MAYBE Sherry),”

Is really really creepy. Jill has had a game to herself, twice. Claire has had a game to herself aswell. Sooooo why the massive desire to force them into another game because you prefer them over over characters in the series. Barry fucking Burton got a game to himself, and fuck me if he does not deserve to be in another one. I’m not going to try and say that if the next Resident Evil does not contain Barry then its auto-magically going to be an insult to the fans and a travesty and then say that everytime something about RE is brought up. That would be creepy and weird.

#18 5 months ago
  19. Unknown_Gamer

This idiot Opinions are meaningless to me the moment when he says “DR3 Xbone Exclusivity is the best thing EVER” I mean Really !? . with this weak system you proudly say that in front of millions of gamers !!?

Capcom needs to get their shit together and do the right thing to please their fans , not to screw them over and over for ages over fake financial ambitions !

#19 5 months ago
  20. absolutezero

Funny that you just said something even more stupid than what he did.

In front of a bunch of gamers aswell! HO HO!

#20 5 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@19 Claire deserves a return, she’s great.

.. but let’s be honest here. Our love of the older games is clouded by nostalgia. The gameplay was stilted and awkward, and not in a good way. The characters are one note and devoid of any real depth, and the stories are cliched and uninspired. We’re attached to these characters because they’ve been around for so long, not because they’re actual any good.

What Resident Evil needs is a complete reboot. Keep the characters, but go right back to the beginning. Create a solid horror game set in a huge, expansive mansion, and ditch the convoluted mess of a plot that we’ve had to endure through for the past 20 years. It’s well past it’s sell by date.

If nothing, it’ll drive salarta batshit crazy.

#21 5 months ago
  22. absolutezero

The main plot threads should have ended with Wesker. I have no idea why they were so scared of doing what RE 4 did with the previous series at large.

I can still play Resident Evil to this day, I love it. Just like I can still play the original Silent Hill and love it for what it is. Its still a solid title that achieves what it set out to do. Just because what has come after (from other series also) does not dimish my enjoyment of the series. Just like I can play A Link to the Past and appreciate what it does differently to Link Between Worlds, being far less populated with kooky crazy NPC characters and being far more challenging. Loving Super Mario Land 3 is not just nostalgia.

The tank controls work because you can hold down forward and be confident that no matter what the camera position is in the next screen you will still be moving forward. Full 3D games with static camera positions still have that exact problem today. Beyond has that problem, where the camera flicks onto the next position and you instantly leave the screen because your character has turned around.

There is still massive satisfaction to be found in blowing the upper half of a zombie off with the upgraded shotgun in RE2 as there has ever been.

#22 5 months ago
  23. Unknown_Gamer

@21 Thanks Captain Obvious , you saved millions of gamers with your logic
    Beware that vg247 isn’t the only place To impose your conclusions :)

#23 5 months ago
  24. salarta

@19: And Leon had a game to himself, so the male-female quotient of “games to themselves” is equaled out. Revelations doesn’t count, because for one it hops around multiple character pairings (Chris and Jessica, those two random B.S.A.A. guys, etc), and for another Jill was always paired off with either Parker or Chris, meaning the game wasn’t “to herself.” You could arguably say it starred her (which it really didn’t, she was just the most featured character), but it wasn’t solely her. Plus, Revelations is a spinoff, not a main numbered entry.

Code Veronica is tricky for me to address because I only started it and never finished, but it was a side game, and if she did technically have the game to herself, it’s been more than made up for as the team’s actively kept her out of every game since and tried to act like her being in Terrasave means she can’t be in any games while both Chris and Leon have been the stars of recent numbered games.

It’s not a massive desire to “force” them into another game when 1) it’s not forcing it if you include characters in the situation the same way they would be expected to behave, and 2) the team’s forced much MUCH dumber character and story situations. There’s no way in hell Jill’s sitting out a global bioterror situation, there’s no way in hell Claire’s not helping deal with the situation at Terrasave, both situations present storylines that RE6 could’ve covered. Particularly with Claire who as part of Terrasave may have been privy to information not immediately available to Chris and Leon. And my god on the dumber situations.

You can’t seriously tell me that Jill needing to stay behind after the fight with her, then miraculously showing up later ONLY after Wesker’s at the verge of defeat with only enough rocket launchers for Chris and Sheva to shoot at him, somehow wasn’t forced. And this is after Jill’s been put through two years of hell. I don’t care whether you’re okay with Jill or hate her with every fiber of your being, a storyline where an iconic character is put through years of suffering ONLY so that the precious main character can be “devastated” about learning it happened, with the character that suffered acting like it’s no thing after it’s over and not allowed to have any kind of closure, is simply horrible writing. It’s horrible writing if it happens to Jill, it’s horrible writing if it happens to Chris, it’s horrible writing all around.

If Rebecca and Barry were core franchise characters that historically played huge roles in the franchise, I’d be demanding they get included. If the past ten years of games and films had been all about hyping up Jill and Claire and treating Chris and Leon like shit, you better believe that I’d be supporting Chris and Leon as the stars of RE7. But no, because it’s Jill and Claire and they’re women, and because you apparently think they don’t deserve the same respect that Chris and Leon get out the ass solely because they got a chance to be the primary stars in two games total 10 years ago (one of which was a spinoff) while Chris and Leon have both been able to be the primary stars of three games total (RE4, RE5, combined RE6, all three main numbered entries), on top of the two CG films starring Leon (especially after an interview with the people behind the first CG film said they wanted to focus on Rebecca and Barry next), that makes it “creepy.”

#24 5 months ago
  25. Clupula

@22 – A reboot is the last thing Resident Evil needs. I would feel personally offended if they just ditched 10 games worth of plot because some people can’t follow it.

It’s not hard to make a good RE7 within the established world. As I said, you don’t have to go to all the far ends of the earth with the story. Just keep it simple. One town or one building effected by something. Could be something as simple as an old Umbrella canister of the T or G Virus that wasn’t accounted for. It spreads through the town and now he/she has to get out, before the town gets nuked.

You don’t have to reboot anything to do that story. You even have one or two familiar BSAA characters cameo during the ending if the character manages to get rescued and, depending on the setting, have it be any number of different characters.

But keep it small-scale. It’s not end of the world. The threat will be contained by the end of the game. It’s just whether your character will survive to see it that matters.

Rebooting things would just end up pissing everybody off who has paid attention to the series. You don’t ever have to mention Neo-Umbrella or the whole New World Order thread or whatever in the future.

Although, I do admit I’d love to see who Alex Wesker is.

#25 5 months ago
  26. Clupula

@25 – You are alone in your creepy weirdness here.

No one gives a shit if Chris or Leon are in or aren’t in the next title. No one is saying, “Man, I hope Chris is the main character for RE7.” If it’s an established character, fine. If it’s a new character, fine.

Only you are sitting there with your sticky pictures of Jill and Claire going, “If they don’t return, I’m not playing again!”

Has nothing to do with them being female. Has to do with you having an unhealthy obsession with fictional females. And as I’ve said many, many times, you should probably leave your basement, and meet some real ones, so you’re not so obsessed with polygonal characters.

#26 5 months ago
  27. Clupula

Also, if you think Code Veronica, which pushed the plot forward more than RE3 and RE4 ever did, is just a side game, you know approximately jack shit about the series.

Code Veronica brought Chris back to the series, showed that not only was Wesker not dead, but he had super powers and was working for a rival of Umbrella. The game also revealed the international scale that Umbrella was at, filled in the back story on some of the founders, and established the Veronica Virus that showed up again in the later games.

It’s a HUGE part of the Resident Evil storyline. Calling it a side-story is just plain stupid. It was originally going to be called Resident Evil 3, but Sony wanted the numbered titles to only be on their system, so they changed the title of Resident Evil: Last Escape (which IS a side story) to Resident Evil 3, and changed the title of the then-Dreamcast exclusive mainline title, Resident Evil 3, to Resident Evil: Code Veronica, to appease Sony.

If you were more interested in the franchise history than obsessing over fictional characters, maybe you’d know all that.

#27 5 months ago
  28. absolutezero

Och make a new Outbreak Capcom you shitbags.

#28 5 months ago
  29. SplatteredHouse

“it’s a big company, a big global company, and it’s hard to get all those pieces moving in the right direction quickly.”

That’s an astonishingly candid observation, Mr. Jones. An (albeit veiled) acknowledgement that Japan IS indeed scuppering the best efforts of the good ship Capcom? :o

#29 5 months ago
  30. YoungZer0

@15: Sorry but I’m not buying it. I played all of the previous games and completed them multiple times. Even fucking DMC2. Multiple Times.

The only DMC I did not complete was 4, because I was not having that backtracking shit again.

The series got lazy as fuck. DMC3 in retrospect had an immense amount of backtracking and puzzles which really killed the pacing. It’s filler mission after filler mission. The cutscenes were creative as hell though and I wish DmC would’ve had some of that. None of the wohooing, but a lot of the cutscenes were just fucking well done.

Just the intro alone was outstanding.

But with that said, I had a huge problem with what CAPCOM did to Dante in DMC3. I think that’s why I didn’t mind the huge change at all, because he’s been so different in each title, I did not see the problem.

I actually see more of the old Dante in DmC than in DMC3. He understood when it was time to show a little bit of humanity and tone down the “fun”. The series had a lot of problems before and imo Ninja Theory addressed them while improving on what made the series great. I enjoyed the combat a lot more than I did in the previous games. Especially the grappling abilities added so much more speed to the game.

And the targeting-system? Not as accurate as I remember it to be, especially the shooting. DmC too did that much better.

Peace.

#30 5 months ago
  31. carlaradames3@gmail.com

ohhhhhhhhh please ,,, Mike Jones says “over the next few years” which mean 2014 & 2015 … i cant wait until 2015 — i need resident evil 7 in 2014 …
    any one have idea which year resident evil 7 will be release ?
    i know this time resident evil 7 will be epic game bcz they learned from mistakes… we want all our champ character like ” Jill , Claire , Chris , Leon , Sheva …etc ”
    but i have to say resident evil 7 now is under fully development …
    it is in thie final stages …i know they finish game story,costumes,game graphic ,,

#31 5 months ago