Steam Machine: iBuyPower prototype gets first images, details

Tuesday, 26th November 2013 01:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Take a look at iBuyPower’s prototype Steam Machine, one of the first of many manufacturers to start showing off what they can do with Valve’s specifications.

Just for clarity’s sake, there is no single Steam Machine; Valve will produce the Steam Controller in-house, but is working with existing hardware manufacturers to produce a range of tiers Steam Machines to its specifications.

Engadget has a preview of one of these, iBuyPower’s 2014 model. This early prototype is running an incomplete version of SteamOS.

There are two versions of this Steam Machine, currently codenamed Gordon and Freeman. They vary in that the light bar on the middle is either black or clear.

The manufacturer isn’t ready to talk about the hardware specifications but did say it can run all Steam titles at 1080p and 60FPS.

Click through to Engadget to view a gallery. We’ll likely see more of this Steam Machine, and some of its rivals, at CES in January.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. ddtd

I wonder how these will be priced.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Erthazus

“all Steam titles at 1080p and 60FPS”

then it is way more powerfull then PS4 or Xbox One.

It looks like a white PS4… A bit similar in design.

#2 10 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

That looks more like the next Xbox than the Xbox One!

Ms chose green, Sony chose Blue, couldn’t the Steambox had a designated color scheme that wasn’t one of those two?

The Xbox One doesn’t really have any green in it though does it?
    Just the box it comes in.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Erthazus

btw, it has no disc drive. Digital only guys.

#4 10 months ago
  5. debug

@3 Yeah I don’t like the green line either, but it’s iBuyPower’s choice.
    Btw, iBuyPower? I’m kinda cynical about whatever begins by ‘i’ and isn’t Apple related.

The X1 doesn’t have any green, not even the glowing logo on it.

#5 10 months ago
  6. xXNapsterManXx

@2 what it means is you can easily turn settings down to meet 1080p 60fps, but the titan and gtx 780 versions are probably more powerful i just wonder if the games will be optimized like consoles or PC. I they are optimized like consoles then they would smash XB1 and PS4 for power.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@6, It means that All the games that are on Steam can be played at 60 frames per second and in 1080p and not just turning on some options.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Arcnail

Green ring of death?

.. sorry.. had to.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

I like the fact that there is no disc-drive, makes the console smaller, and it’s one less thing that can break. And Steam is all digital anyway…

#9 10 months ago
  10. Obernox

Looks like an alien sandwich.

#10 10 months ago
  11. redwood

well here are the specs …

am sure it will be really pricey.

#11 10 months ago
  12. The_Red

For some strange reason, I really REALLY love the look of this prototype (It may have something to do with both PS4 and Xone looking like crap in terms of exterior design).

#12 10 months ago
  13. gameoholic007

Digital only = no buy. I’m not the type that gets excited over owning licensing rights to play a game. Valve can keep their cute little white brick imo, regardless how much power it has.

#13 10 months ago
  14. naffgeek

@13 I was up in arms about xbox potentially not having a disc drive but now I think about it I can’t remember the last time I used it on my pc and I have over a 100 games on steam.

Steam machines have made me wait until they launch before I go next gen (well that and the piss poor launch line up of the new consoles)

#14 10 months ago
  15. Phoenixblight

ibuypower
    is not exactly known for quality. THey are practically an overpriced dell I wouldn’t trust anything this small and confined to such a small space.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Edo

Gordon and and Freeman…seriously…

#16 10 months ago
  17. Llewelyn_MT

@13: Feel free to buy your $60 hard copies. I’ll be getting my digital copies of these for $10.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Virginityrocks

@4 Three words. External Disc Drive.

Who uses discs anymore? The entire macbook/imac lineup doesn’t even have them anymore. Discs are a dead technology in the PC space.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Edo

According to Verge it has a multicore AMD CPU and a 500 GB hard drive,it will cost $499 http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5146398/ibuypower-steam-machine-499-radeon-r9-270

#19 10 months ago
  20. TheBlackHole

How does that compare with the new consoles, power wise?

#20 10 months ago
  21. Erthazus

It has AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card. That says that it is way more powerfull then PS4 or Xbox One and can run games in 1080p in no problem.

Example:

R9 279: 2.69 TFLOPS
    Xbox One: 1.31 TFLOPS
    PS4: 1.84 TFLOPS

#21 10 months ago
  22. Dendroball

So more powerful than a Xbox One/PS4 with even less ventilation, how is it possible ? When you see the temperatures of the Xbox One/PS4 with that much ventilation, you can only worry about that “closed” box …

#22 10 months ago
  23. manamana

Violet is the only color I would accept…. ;-)

#23 10 months ago
  24. Dragon

Price?
    Nothing is more important than that? Will it provide better graphics than consoles at 500$?

I think we know the answer.

#24 10 months ago
  25. livewired500

That’s pretty slick looking. Can’t wait to see what other manufacturers come up with.

I will probably just build one myself so I’m kind of curious as to what Cooler Master, Corsair or other chassis manufacturers will come up with as well.

#25 10 months ago
  26. TheWulf

It’s $499, comparable with the PS4/XBox One but with better specs.

Looking good, Valve. Looking good.

(Source: The Verge.)

(Poop. Looks like I was ninja’d on the price. But since people below that comment didn’t notice, mentioning it again can’t hurt.)

So the answer is… yes! Probably not the answer you were expecting, probably the one you were dreading.

Better cooling. Consoles haven’t exactly been smart about cooling. In fact, the previous generation had some of the worst cooling that any device could have. A variety of tablets have better cooling than the PS3 and the 360.

I’ve never had any problems with them in regards to quality. And looking up reviews for their latest line of products I’m seeing a lot of reviewers say the opposite to what you say.

It’s just a weird thing to say, really. To attack a company out of the blue… I can’t help but question the motive. Any evidence?

Yeah. The issue with the PS4 and XBox One is that they look like late ’90s/early ’00s products. They’re very kitsch products, which is what both Sony and Microsoft go for looking at their past consoles. Even Nintendo does this better (a lot better).

They’re not exactly Google or Apple when it comes to design, that’s always been a poor point for them. But then, you know, design isn’t a thing that matters to console owners. It could look like the ugliest lump of plastic in the world if it plays games when a disc is put in. So console owners buy it for simplicity, not for looks.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Djoenz

500 bucks is decent I guess considering it being a powerhouse, but comes it with a controller too it must. So this one is first of the line.

Nice.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Dragon

“probably the one you were dreading.”
    Yes, I was dreading that more companies would be fighting to give me a better product.

Sorry I didn’t write long tedious paragraphs.

Also, what are the RAM, CPU and other specs? I would be very surprised if it surpasses PS4 in every regard, even with it being 100$ costlier.

Something tells me there is a reason only GPU is unveiled and not entire specs, I could be wrong though.

#28 10 months ago
  29. OneLifeCycle

Looks awesome, but the controller scares the $hI! outta me.

#29 10 months ago