Xbox One Kinect explained in our video guide, see it in action here

Monday, 25th November 2013 13:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s Kinect is a marked improvement over the original, but what exactly is it capable of? Watch VG247′s Sam Clay put the device through its paces, from the comfort of his untidy bedroom.

The moment his Xbox One springs to life is particularly exciting.

We’ve all been playing with our Xbox Ones here at the VG247 orbital news strike platform. You can find out what I thought of the device and the console’s functionality in general here.

Are you convinced by the new Kinect? Let us know below.

1. KAP

I WANT ONE!!! Kinect really works.

“Next page…. next page…. xbox next page” – No… no Sam, Kinect is shit, no matter how infused you are with Kinect 1.0 features.

I find it embarrassingly sad that we all seem to sound very apologetic by the Kinect 2.0 not working. Voice recogition as a whole just isnt there yet so why are we blaiming the ourselfs for that.
    Will you be this apologetic in a couple years time when your still having to repeat commands to this terrible device your forced to pay for.
    My point is fustration will eventually kick in so why are people trying to force it, the same way we all did a few years ago with Kinect 1.0

11.30mins in to your video Sam just sybolised what the UI and the Kinect is. A whole dollop of mess. It wasnt your fault you was tongue tied. It shouldn’t be ONE WAY to say a command. Its insane.

“Xbox go home…. xbox go home….” It was at that point Sam you just looked defeated, my god. You looked entirely exhausted. You still think Kinects wicked then?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

I think the voice commands are extremely wack, but the motion controls is awesome as hell. I rather wave my hand than shout.

EDIT:

Say if I buy a camera for ps4 will it support motion control as well?

EDIT:

You CAN hook up ps4 on your Xbox One:

Ive seen people do it btw on videos.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

Yeah, as much as I enjoy pausing videos with my voice, Kinect simply doesn’t work.

If you’re going to reinvent the wheel, at least try and create a wheel that works.

#3 1 year ago
  4. KAP

You do realise the Kinect 1.0 did the exact same thing right? using your hands to navigate the UI. You can get a second hand Kinect from GAME for a tenner now, there is a reason for that gez.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sam Clay

Just thought I’d pop in to say after watching myself back, I’m very patient aren’t I.

Obviously it has it’s downfalls massively. I was just trying to put light to what it at least is trying to do. It’s definitely embarrassing at times.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Zackslacky

Mine works fine. No problems. Does everything on command. Bar xbox on for some reason…and yes im on insta on.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

It is an impressiv tech, but the Problem is that MS trys to use it as something that will replace stuff like Remotes or Controllers in certain Areas.
    But these “old” Things are working 100% of the Time, Kinect not. Why should I switch from my TV Remote to Kinect when Kinect only works 80-90% of the Time? And pushing a Button is too faster then talking to your TV.

So yeah, its impressiv and nice and all, but its still not working as good as my Remote. They should Focus on using it for stuff my TV Remote or Controller can’t do – when it does impressiv stuff I can’t do now I can consider Buying a Kinect, but right now its just a very expensive Remote. But I’m still happy with my Cheap one, It works just Perfect.

Just show a Game where I think “that looks awesome, I need Kinect for that”.

#7 1 year ago
  8. SuperGamerDude

I’m sorry, but I’d end up throwing the damn thing out of the window if it kept misunderstanding me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Djoenz

Oh I never knew that. I never owned a xbox or xbox360. Ive played a lot on my buddy’s Xbox360 but he never had a kinect so yeahh.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Cort

Sorry, I got burned with Kinect 1.0, which is a pile of useless shit that promised the world and delivered absolutely nothing. I’ve used my Wii more.

I will consider a Kinect-less One at £349. Until then, you’re just a bunch of jokers, MS.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Djoenz

@Sam Clay
    Could you find out (if you have the time ofcourse) if these rumours/issues are true? :

According to this article EU output is 50 hz and in USA its 60hz and that makes tv stutter and thus its basically a broken feature in the EU & UK for the time being.
    Xbox One TV Integration Broken For UK & Europe: Sky 50Hz Stutter

Remember Microsoft boasting about Xbox One’s DLNA support. Well guess what for now it only support PlayTo and not mediaservers. See below.

XboxOne currently supports PlayTo only so you cant browse through your folders on a DLNA compatible device. PlayTo is not exactly a mediaserver.

#11 1 year ago
  12. mongbatstar

That was painful.

It’s just not very good, is it?

#12 1 year ago
  13. KAP

Indeed it was. The excitement is still in full effect seeing as its only a week old but inevitably history WILL repeat it’s self.

Lets all just go thru the routine of getting really hyped by Kinect 2.0 then see sense, then pretend it doesn’t exist like we did with Kinect 1.0 shall we.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Roxor

It actually works pretty well if you know what your doing. There are numerous times where he doesn’t say the right things i.e. “next page” or “turn volume up” (should have been “page down” or “volume up”. In my experience giving a quick pause after saying xbox makes a world of difference too.

And sure it is unfortunate that we can’t say whatever we want (but its not like you can use the controller any way you want)and have it understand, maybe in the future it will, after all this is a start of a product not the end.

Now if your anti-xbox or anti-kinect, then don’t get an xbox1, but I’m glad at least one company is trying to push technology besides graphics. It is what intrigues me the most out of the next gen.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Eon

@13. Strong accent or something? Works fine for me, so much so that it has been my primary input method over the first weekend, and that is just due to the convenience of it all. It picks me up everytime without a need to shout or repeat myself.

I’m guessing you’ve only used the original Kinect? Otherwise you wouldn’t be so oblivious to the differences surely. If you actually own an X1, my apologies, I’d suggest turning the volume up and going through setup again, probably isn’t calibrated correctly.

On topic, I’ve been truly impressed with how it works. I was a bit apprehensive before receiving it, I didn’t actually expect it to work as quick an efficiently as it has done so far. Definitely a worthwhile feature of the box for me.

#15 1 year ago
  16. naffgeek

Reading the comments here I think it is obvious that Kinect is a lot better than Sam has made it look, Microsoft will be made up with this shambles of a demo.

It does suggest unless you have a clear speaking voice then it will be problematic.

My issue with it is the forced inclusion of such a obviously polarizing bit of kit.

I didn’t hate Kinect 1.0 and had some good fun with Kinect Sports and Fruit Ninja but it trying to use it instead of a controller is just pointless, it needs new concepts that take advantage of the hardware like Tearaway seems to have done for the Vita and the new link 3DS game has done for glasses free 3D.

#16 1 year ago
  17. bobnice

This is how well the xbox one works when you speak the commands correctly

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

These Kinect functions and gesture are nice and all, but for how long? If it ain’t broken don’t fix it they say.

Can’t see why motion gestures and voice commands are more handy than controllers/remotes.

What about Kinect-only games though?

Oh yeah… http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/fighter-within

#18 1 year ago
  19. peake13

the guy who filmed this is a bit of an idiot, if your gonna make a video on the features make sure you get it right, the reason it didnt unmute right away is because the command is just mute,even to unmute,ever seen an unmute button on a tv remote? me either,also the bit trying to open power settings, you say xbox select then the options turn green,also volume up and volume down not turn volume up or turn volume done, so thats why a few commands didnt work

#19 1 year ago