The Last Guardian: Ueda “terribly sorry” for delay, launch time-frame out of his control

Tuesday, 19th November 2013 10:46 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last Guardian director Fumito Ueda may have left Sony, but he still feels sorry for keeping fans waiting for his follow-up to Shadow of the Colossus for so long. He says the timing of its eventual release is now out of his hands.

Speaking with Edge, Ueda was asked to reflect on his past eight years as a creator. he replied, “Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.”

He touched on how he remained motivated, and added, “Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.”

Ueda is still working on the game in some capacity, but is now a freelancer. He was asked to comment on how Sony took the news that he was leaving his in-house role at the company. “It was not easy,” he recalled, “but I can’t go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday.”

He hinted that he is working on other “secret” projects at present, but couldn’t divulge anything further.

The Last Guardian was formally announced in 2009.

1. Luciferous

Give us a re-reveal at the VGXs showing off the new and improved game… on PS4!

#1 11 months ago
  2. KAP

To this day SOTC is without doubt the best game I have ever played, he can take all the time in the world to make this game everything he wants it to. I’ll still be here waiting.

#2 11 months ago
  3. absolutezero

Please Understand…

#3 11 months ago
  4. Dragon

Sounds like passing the buck.

He should, of all people, know that “creative work” isnt the only part to make a game. The game isn’t complete, and hence not releasing.

Btw, just wanted to add, I think people should lower their hopes of TLG coming to PS3. Shu has already said that all big internal teams will move on to PS4 after GT6. Plus, they aren’t saying its on PS3 anymore.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Malmer

If they keep this up, then TLG can be a reason to buy the PS5 too. :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. DrDamn

“alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily”

Quite an odd thing to say – maybe a translation thing. I think it’s clearly coming to PS4 based on recent Yoshida comments. It could do with coming pretty quickly – i.e. 2014 at the latest.

#6 11 months ago
  7. redwood

hey sony!

#7 11 months ago
  8. CycloneFox

I think I’m gonna cry as soon a possible re-reveal will be shown.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Pytox

what will be first ? this, agent or hl3? :D

#9 11 months ago
  10. tenthousandgothsonacid

I bought a PS3 at launch so I’d get the next Team Ico game.

Now I’m doing the same again with the PS4.

I’m happy to wait.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@9 I smell a bet.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Dark

The game has been stuck in development hell,and could end up being shit

there is no reason to be excited about it.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Citrus raptor

At least let it be one game per generation, don’t jump and release it way later for the PS4; fuck that!

#13 11 months ago
  14. AmiralPatate

There’s always hope. Think Duke Nukem “Best game of E3, 1998″ Forever eventually came out.
    All things considered, maybe you should lose hope.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Joe Musashi

In curiously odd timing, I starting playing SotC HD at the weekend. I’d not played SotC since its original release on PS2.

Its atmosphere is still utterly captivating, and the incredible design and majesty of the colossi are just breathtaking. Even more so without slow-down.

There’s moments of this game that remain the most thrilling I’ve ever had in a videogame.

I’m happy to wait for TLG (like I have a choice, right?) if its comparable to ICO or SotC then I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.

JM

#15 11 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 I think the very first time I grabbed on to the wings of the flying colossus and realised “HOLY SHIT I’M ON TOP OF THIS THING AND ITS FLYING AND I’M STILL IN CONTROL OHMYGOD!!” Ranks as one of my greatest gaming experiences ever.

What’s your PSN?

#16 11 months ago
  17. CycloneFox

@12: Generally you would be right, but have you played ICO or SotC, which both had a similar development stories as well? Those games totally differ from any other game and such conclusions don’t really match there.

@16: I haven’t played SotC when it came for the PS2 and catched up on it with the HD collection and event with knowing all those modern games, I still have never seen anything like this. Some of those boss fights were the best gaming moments I’ve ever had.

When I was fighting Phalanx (colossi #13) in that dessert and had to actually ride, shoot with bow, jump from horse to wing, climb up wing, run over flying colossi, I thought this is fucking awesome and never in the world last gen. I’ts like playing the train scene of uncharted 2 with helicopter and everything, but instead of video sequences, you drive there and jump over yourself and you never loose controlls for an action sequence of some sort. Imo, games like this or Dark Souls show that Japanese developers are capable of implementing action-systems (game-actor contact, fighting system, movement, etc), western developers never ever archieved (next to story, atmosphere and depth of course).

Like ICO already, this game was just incredible. If TLG brings anything new again and is even nearly as good as the predecessors, it’ll be worth the wait. SotC is one of my favourite games of all time. Not only the action is great, but also the calm moments when you just ride on agro over wide fields.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@17 If we had a voting system in place here, I would give your post a million +1′s.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Joe Musashi

@16 That’s precisely the moment I was referring to! ;)

#17 refers to my absolute favourite moment in gaming. The moment you realise that might be the way to get on the collossus and then you try it out and then HOLY SHIT it worked!

/fistbump

JM

#19 11 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

I can see why people admire SOTC and ICO, I just couldn’t get into them no matter how hard I tried.

SOTC control really didn’t ‘click’, and in a game where quick wits and multitasking seem to be encouraged, the clunky controls coupled with the loose DS3 sticks really got on my nerves.

The scope was amazing though, I just wish the controls didn’t feel like they were fighting with me.

I can’t remember much about ICO (I only have SOTC HD), but I kind of recall it playing very ‘loose’ aswell.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@20 Two things about that.

1) Agro isn’t clunky. What a lot of people don’t seem to realise is that he has his own AI. The automatic impulse is that if you’re coming to a turn, you should turn, but the game is usually smart enough to do it for you. If there is a waving path in front of you, he can manoeuvre it perfectly on his own without any imput at all.

2) Wander is clumsy on purpose. For many, that is the game’s strength, not its weakness. If you mess up, you’re going to fall and stumble and get hurt. You’re not Bayonetta. It was You’re a rather unimposing young man. Falling off a ledge or getting crushed under the foot of a colossus is going to hurt.

Part of the problem may have been exemplified by the poor frame rate issues of the PS2 version, but that’s not an issue with the HD remake.

#21 11 months ago