Call of Duty: Ghosts high-res texture pack will take up to 30 minutes to download

Saturday, 16th November 2013 16:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The high-res texture pack for Call of Duty: Ghosts on PlayStation 4 will take around 10-15 minutes to install, Infinity Ward has said. It can take up to 30 minutes though, if you’re playing while it’s still installing in the background. “Unfortunately, there’s no way to see the progress of when it’s complete,” said the developer. “Once complete, you’ll see the high-res textures in-game.” Infinity Ward announced earlier this week the day-one patch for Call of Duty: Ghosts brings the single-player campaign up from 720p to 1080p.

1. DSB

It’s so tragic. Enabling high res textures on the PC makes the whole game slow to a crawl, even on a high end rig. I’d be surprised if they had optimized it better on the PS4.

Whenever I enable it, the game starts to stutter and the textures don’t even load properly. They just pop in and out, and even when they’re showing, they just look weirdly sharp compared to everything else.

It’s such a sad game. Some scopes also slow the game to a crawl. Especially the tracker scope and some of the standard Marksman Rifle scopes.

Fun times!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tronros

@1 I know what you mean. The game is so horribly optimized. CoD: Ghosts is the only game I have that uses 80% of my cpu and more than 6GB of RAM. I am just going to wait until this is nicely patched up. I think BLOPS2 on PC is looks way better than this poor port.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

@2 Yeah, I’ve only done free weekends of BLOPS 2, but it was head and shoulders above Ghosts on every count. The animations are better, the graphics are sharper, the load times are shorter, and it ran fine.

The worst thing about Ghosts is that sometimes my GFX card just “stops” and then starts again a few seconds later. It doesn’t happen in any other game, so I know it’s isolated.

Kinda makes me worry that they did something stupid with the driver compatability and I could be breaking my hardware just playing the game. It wouldn’t surprise me at this point.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ultragamer

“Unfortunately, there’s no way to see the progress of when it’s complete”

Adding a notification pop-up was too much for them? I guess they couldn’t find any code from CoD:MW2 that would allow them to just copy and paste that function.

Infinity Ward: Modern Studio is a joke and should be renamed to avoid ruining the good name the real Warders established in the past.

#4 1 year ago
  5. gomersoul

This is poorly developed, but I am tired of them telling me download times instead of file sizes, say 500mb if it’s 500mb not 5 minutes. It takes different connections different times for file downloads

#5 1 year ago
  6. Talkar

@3 Yeah, Ghosts is really badly optimized for PC. I mean, i’ve got a 2600K, 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM and a bloody TITAN. Yet sometimes i get issues with the game. It doesn’t make any sense!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Fin

Headline is wrong.

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

in b4.. “it depends on how fast is your connection”

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

@4 Yeah, it’s a shame because Treyarch have finally caught up and started making good games.

BLOPS didn’t really impress me much, I think it suffered from a lot of the same gameplay mistakes that Ghosts does (although I guess the story tried to be different) but BLOPS 2 looks to me like the best CoD to date, even if the weapons are boring and the artstyle is tame.

So while Treyarch are busy improving on the game, Infinity Ward, Raven and Neversoft are looking to bury it. It won’t end well for Activision if they keep that up. It’s gonna be Guitar Hero all over again.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

@DSB, what’s your videocard?

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

ASUS Geforce 770 GTX OC

#11 1 year ago
  12. ultragamer

^^^ Nice vcard! That should eat games like CoD for breakfast.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@12 It really should, and it eats most things just fine. Just not Ghosts!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Nephilimator

LOLOLOL XBONE 720/20 FPS

#14 1 year ago
  15. debug

Yeah I dont know what it is with them not saying the size but only an estimated time. So weird. And no progress bar? This is so dumb..

#15 1 year ago
  16. Max Payne

Do you people think at some point , Cod will switch to Destiny engine ? If that is actually possible(Activison is publisher on both games)

#16 1 year ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

Not worth it, anyway.

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

@16:

No. It’s not just the visuals, it’s the physics and everything else.

Honestly, they’d have to be stupid to change the core gameplay mechanics while it’s still selling like it is.

Destiny is a different game entirely.

#18 1 year ago
  19. ddtd

@16 – Not likely. If Bungie were smart they would have kept the rights to the tech they developed.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dirk

The article says “install” time but the headline says “download” time, they’re not the same thing.

Not mentioning the size is annoying, it takes me around 90 minutes to download 1GB but it takes other people 5 minutes.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Max Payne

I really think Treyarch will significantly improve cod’s graphics , but I think problem will persist as long as they support current gen.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Spider Law

It’s about 730mb and took me about 20 minutes to download and another 10 minutes to install.
    It’s also really nicely optimized for PS4. Very smooth fps, no glitches (yet), and it looks nice (although the engine shows its age when compared to Killzone).
    I’m very much enjoying it on PS4 after getting frustrated with it on PC.

#22 1 year ago
  23. G1GAHURTZ

^ 10 minute install??

Are you sure?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Spider Law

Yeah. It was more like 5 honestly. But I left to attend to my baby boys dirty diaper during the install and came back to it finished so. I said 10 minutes to be fair.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Spider Law

My wife has gotten more play out of COD than I have though. I only played 2 missions in the campaign and I’m level 5 online. I’ve been focusing on Killzone and Injustice for right now.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DinoHunter

It’s a 28gb game and not optimized?

No wonder the game didn’t outsell Black Ops 2.

Played it in “medium” and didn’t mind the glitches at first because of Riley the dog.

And for a walkthrough here’s a good one: http://www.cheatmasters.com/blog/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-guide/

#26 1 year ago
  27. silkvg247

Um when I turn the textures up to extra on the PC version they still look like they’re from a 4 year old game. Are they really high res??

#27 1 year ago
  28. The_Red

Quick question: Could someone explain the technical reasons behind not including the hi-res texture pack inside the game disk?

#28 1 year ago
  29. Max Payne

@28 Because when reviewers start comparing xbox one vs ps4 both consoles would have 720p and xbox1 would not look inferior ?
    I mean jesus why does PC version need 6 gb ram and 64bit OS when BF4 can run on 4gb and 32 bit…

#29 1 year ago
  30. The_Red

I don’t think that’s the case or at least don’t want to believe that’s the case because if it is, this gen is gonna be fucked with devs enforcing this sort of parity on other versions just because Xbox One is weaker.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Max Payne

@30 It was also same thing with AC4 , patch that brings 1080p. Its just stupid.

#31 1 year ago
  32. DevynP

Shittiest COD EVER!!!! DONT BUY THIS FOR PC!!!!BlackOps 2 looks decades better than this slop.

#32 1 year ago
  33. DevynP

Can anyone tell my why the characters look like they are from Team Fortress. What is up with the cartoony look?!?!

#33 1 year ago
  34. bradk825

@33 They look great on Xbox 360, but I haven’t seen the PC version.

#34 1 year ago
  35. USN-Never-Again

More like 5 hours. And it’s not my internet.

#35 1 year ago