Fallout 4 reveal rumours begin as Survivor 2299 teaser site launches

Friday, 15th November 2013 09:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Fallout 4 has been rumoured among games after a mysterious teaser site dubbed ‘Survivor 2299′ appeared online last night. Check it out here.

The site can be found here, and displays a count down that will expire on December 11. It also plays some lines of morse code.

First noticed by Game Informer last night, the domain registration database WHOIS lists the site’s registrar as none other than ZeniMax Media, the parent company off Fallout 3 developer Bethesda Softworks. IGN has since asked the company and they declined to comment on the potential teaser.

However, GI has been investigating the matter and figured this is a hoax or a fan site like the Prey 2 website was: “The domain resolves to a hosting company in Poland. The chances of Bethesda using a host outside of the United States are slim… the WhoIs profile does not line up exactly with other Bethesda-owned websites. Previous websites, like Bethblog.com, were registered by Corporate Domains, Inc.,” said Game Informer.

Interestingly, the Spike TV Video Game Awards have been dated for December 7. Bethesda previously revealed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at the show a few years back. Could the show yield a new Fallout announcement as well?

Back in April, we reported that Bethesda’s work on Skyrim DLC had ended and it was moving on to what it called its “Biggest and best work yet.”

Is this Fallout 4 or a fake like GI thinks? Let us know what you reckon below.

1. f1r3storm

Likely fake: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/14/zenimax-media-registers-website-teasing-new-game-possibly-fallout.aspx

#1 10 months ago
  2. Telepathic.Geometry

What do I reckon Dave? I reckon I’ve got a nice piece of wood here for Fallout 3 is what I reckon. Considering how beautiful Skyrim was artistically, you have to imagine that Fallout 4 would be something else. I miss my V.A.T.S.!!!

#2 10 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

Oh man, I can’t wait to see what Obsidian will do with it!

#3 10 months ago
  4. Panthro

Everybody is saying its fake but Im hoping it isn’t.

Its about time they let us revisit the wasteland

#4 10 months ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, even if it IS fake, there’s no way they’re not doing a Fallout 4 this gen. No way.

And there’s no way that they haven’t started ages ago either…

#5 10 months ago
  6. Obernox

oh fuck oh fuck oh fuc….
    @1 Stop crushing our hopes! T_T

#6 10 months ago
  7. Mus42

I will be over-joyed if they finally announce Fallout 4 – and hopefully it will be released next Autumn/Winter – and even better if its running on the new iD engine

#7 10 months ago
  8. Edo

@Young
    Nice try.

#8 10 months ago
  9. m2stech

Has anyone decoded the morse or whatever code it is ?

#9 10 months ago
  10. broketm

The morse code suposedly means
    12:11:13 11:12:13, meaning 11 December 2013
    it’s on reddit/r/fallout

As how legit this is… who knows maybe Zenimax is trying to increase the mystery by making it look fake on purpose. … Hah sure, I can dream can’t I?

#10 10 months ago
  11. ChandlerL

For the curious, the Morse code from that site says “1311.12.1312.11″ That is what the redditors are extracting the dates from. You decide what the numbers mean.

#11 10 months ago
  12. TrickyAudio

Moist.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Hcw87

11 December 2013.

Picture gives it away too. 26 days from 15 November is 11 December.

#13 10 months ago
  14. antitheta

Looks legit. If you look at the source code of the page, the file uses a “fallout.css” for the stylesheet.

#14 10 months ago
  15. FabioPal

The owner of the domain is Zenimax… I wouldn’t call it “fake”.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Stephany Nunneley

@15 “The domain resolves to a hosting company in Poland. The chances of Bethesda using a host outside of the United States are slim… the WhoIs profile does not line up exactly with other Bethesda-owned websites. Previous websites, like Bethblog.com, were registered by Corporate Domains, Inc.” – Game Informer link in post #1. Granted, if fake, it’s one of the greatest trolls in history.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Pitts

@3 & 8-

Obsidian raised the bar with New Vegas, across the board. They’re not making 4, I realize.

I hope Bethesda took some inspiration from the stellar job Obsidian did.

#17 10 months ago
  18. fearmonkey

@17- Fallout 3 was more about exploration, Fallout:NV was more about the story. Bethesda tends to focus more on the exploration and discovery, but they did improve with Skyrim, so It will be better than Fallout 3 story wise I’d imagine.

Obsidian’s NV was the better game but the bugs ruined the fun for me, I was still having game killing bugs 4 months after release. If Obsidian does make another Fallout, I would hope they don’t repeat the bugs of the past.

Obsidian has a lot going on though, they might not be available anytime soon for another Fallout, and after not getting that bonus for a measly 1 metacritic point, I cant blame them,

#18 10 months ago
  19. antitheta

Guys, I checked the source code again today… They renamed the css file from what it was “fallout.css” to a big string of random characters. So, clearly they realized their mistake if it’s supposed to be a secret. Also, the mp3 audio file has “bridgeport” in it, which I assume relates to bridgeport CT which may be a setting in the game? Thoughts?

#19 10 months ago
  20. Beta

If it was fake, surely they’d comment, so as not to disappoint fans.

A no comment usually means confirmed in my experience. But I could be wrong..

#20 10 months ago
  21. Zenines

@19 I downloaded the mp3 by saving link in the source codes and tried cracking down on what the message was, though I’m sure I did a sloppy job I got a few words, the last word at the end of the code I got was “america”.
    Used this morse code chart to help http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/International_Morse_Code.svg/315px-International_Morse_Code.svg.png

But I think I was way off and wont bother pasting what I translated.

#21 10 months ago