World of Warcraft’s sixth expansion already in the works

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 00:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

World of Warcraft’s fifth expansion Warlords of Draenor was only unveiled at BlizzCon this weekend, but the one after that is already on the go.

Speaking to Polygon, Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime confirmed the sixth expansion is already in the works.

“We’ve never done that in the past. We’ve been doing one expansion at a time, sort of a very linear content creation model, and we’ve looked at ways that we can parallelize that. So that while we’re working on this expansion we’re looking at the new one.”

World of Warcraft produced just four expansion pakcs in tis first eight years. Morhaime said Blizzard plans to release expansions more rapidly in the future, in order to keep current players engaged and entice returning players.

“It’s going to be on us and our development team to continually look at ways to evolve the game and keep it relevant, and look for new ways of maintaining engagement within the game. We view expansions as a huge opportunity to do that,” he said.

“We recognize that we need to release them on a faster cadence than we have in the past. So we’re investing in the team and our resources to enable us to do that.”

According to recent Activision Blizzard financials, following the inevitable spike at release of the fourth expansion, Mists of Pandaria, World of Warcraft noted a significant subscriber dip – down to 7.7 million.

1. Hcw87

Awesome. More content can only be good.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Erthazus

More like milking to death because with each expansion we get less content and less innovation or something new.

#2 9 months ago
  3. DSB

Plays game from 2004. Wants something new.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Erthazus

@DSB, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wR_BiyGvLIo

Easy.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

10 more levels, a player hub, all character models will be updated to be more modern(1k polygon character to now 9-10k polygons). Sorry, this expansion puts even Wrath and Burning Crusade to shame.

#5 9 months ago
  6. DSB

@4 Yeah, still not a game from 2004.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@5, Are you ok?

Let me tell you what was in Burning Crusade:

1) They added two new epic races (Draenei and Blood Elves) with two big islands with it’s own city.
    2) you can fly
    3) New Professions
    4) Outland
    5) New Battleground that had new gameplay mechanic
    6) they introduced Arena 2v2, 3v3, 5v5
    7) amazing new villain – Illidan
    8 ) +10 more levels
    9) Additional “outdoor” PvP objectives were implemented, which are different for each zone in which they are located.

Because with Warlords Of draenor I get Outland reskin, Characters that Blizzard actually said that they will change in the Mists Of Pandaria (and updating characters is a SIMPLE patch in most MMO’s), Player hub is a RIP OFF from God damn LOTR MMO expansion.

So I’m putting you to shame. Don’t let me start talking about Wrath Of The Lich King or you are going to sleep with nightmares.

@6, What do you mean?

#7 9 months ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Haha oh man you keep trying. But no sell. Also Everquest Next is not even out and if it was its a F2P, soo there is nothing stopping anyone from playing that or any other MMO. I know what I am getting with WOW. Everquest Next is still very much in the air with gameplay and content. And the fact that the characters are very cliche and uninspired doesn’t exactly help either. For all I know the gameplay may be the same. What is to say that is not the case for the actual game especially with Sony’s history with MMOs.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Erthazus

@8, so in other words you have nothing really to say and it’s the same blah blah blah when you said that “Crappy Star Wars Game MMO” from bioshit will be successfull…

It’s F2P or not. It requires some serious investment. Everquest Next Landmark for example shows that and I’m not joking. It’s not even Everquest Next for now. https://www.eqnlandmark.com/founders-pack

“And the fact that the characters are very cliche and uninspired doesn’t exactly help either.”

Based on what I must believe to this bullshit? Please, explain.

“For all I know the gameplay may be the same, what is to say that is not the case for the actual game especially with Sony’s history with MMOs.”

So far Everquest Next Landmark brings the most innovations in MMORPG in history of gaming that in the end you can create your own MMO in the game and that’s where developers are going. Everquest Next that is going a traditional route will bring so much more with it’s voxel-based engine that gameplay is going to be amazing and without HOLY-TRINITY which makes it already different.

#9 9 months ago
  10. hitnrun

I can’t believe over 7 million people still play a game that’s been on autopilot, gameplay-wise, basically since Blizzard brought in its B-team to stat-out Burning Crusade while the A-team moved on to other projects.

I mean I literally can’t believe it, because I know for a fact that virtually no guilds survived the first expansion (the conversion from 40 man to 25 man shattered existing guilds) and not one of the dozens of people I know who played in the first four years has touched it since then.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

“Based on what I must believe to this bullshit? Please, explain.”

“Everquest Next that is going a traditional route will bring so much more with it’s voxel-based engine that gameplay is going to be amazing and without HOLY-TRINITY which makes it already different.”

The only thing that EQ Next has is the voxel based environment,have player created content and dynamic events which all sound cool on paper but they have yet to prove that it will be fun or even functional.

“History of Sony MMO’s were different all the time and it depends on the team and Everquest team is the most experienced devs in mmo’s in the industry that works for 15 years.”

Yeah, thanks for playing.

#11 9 months ago
  12. absolutezero

World PvP

ppfffttt aha ha ha ha ha

#12 9 months ago
  13. DSB

@7 Check the first post.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Erthazus

@Phoenixblight,

“All character models are the same crap you see in those generic fantasy book covers nothing unique. I see far more interesting character on those romance novel covers. They are cliche and general looking.”

“Based on what? What pray tell do you have that show it will be different? Oh nothing? Thought so.”

Based on what was already shown. Voxel based destructibility engine was shown and it is amazing. Story-bricks technology you can watch from Story bricks youtube channels. The AI in this game will be amazing.

“There are endless amount of games that chuck the holy trinity lots of them are already out and there are more that will be coming out.”

Name at least FIVE AAA MMORPG games.

!!!!!! SOE don’t just chuck The Hony Trinity. Everquest developers INVENTED holy trinity and they created absolutely new mechanics for EQN that soon they will show after “Landmark”. That’s the whole point. It’s not about ditching mechanic. It’s is about creating new one that will be Next-Gen. !!!!!!

“So we are playing that game, huh? WOW 7.6 million subscribers. None of Sony’s games have hit that number. Sure in some of their F2P games but any person can create an account for those games. Blizzard has kept 7 million+ subscriber entertained for almost 10 years. No MMO can say that.”

I never said that Sony’s games hit that number but that is going to be changed very soon.
    Blizzard started to milk it’s franchise just to be sure that they will have these numbers at lest. But you need also to understand that these numbers are slowly going down.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Phoenixblight

“Let’s say that this is true, how World of Warcraft is any different? They have the same generic looking characters.”

SOrry what? I hadn’t realized EQ Next has been out for 9 years.

“I don’t understand this because the art style in EQN is very good and it is made by one of the best Art directors in the industry – Rosie Rappaport that works since MMO genre started.”

“Name at least FIVE AAA MMORPG games.”

“these numbers are slowly going down”

#15 9 months ago
  16. Erthazus

@Phoenixblight,

“SOrry what? I hadn’t realized EQ Next has been out for 9 years.”

and Everquest games been here for 15 years and still continue to this day. People still play Everquest 1 and it is very much alive and supported by SOE and in fact not too long ago Everquest 1 expansion was out. Same goes to Everquest II. It is alive.

your point?

“So? As if length of working in a field somehow equates to quality. I am really sorry that is the best she can do especially when there are games like Wildstar and every single character race(boatload to boot) is vastly different to the next.”

Generic characters? Give me a break. that’s how you create one with fantastic color pallete.

“Secret World, Guild Wars 1 and 2, DCU, City of Heroes and Villains, Champions Online.”

With this comment you could add World Of Tanks or League of Legends because DUH they have no Trinity.

But I will give you some slack. Two games you have. Let’s just take the most successfull one – Guild Wars 2. It does everything poorly when it comes to it’s combat mechanics because AI does not exist in this world.

“Then they climb right back every expansion. MOP it went right passed 8 million. In between expansion numbers always go down still the fact they maintain 7 million subscribers interest over 9 years is proof.”

They had 12 million subscribers at Wrath. It is going down every time. What expansion will give them is a temporary boost. That’s why Mike Morhaime said that they want to release expansions faster so players could keep up with the game.

It is going down Phoenix.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Phoenixblight

“Well. Fucking sorry that Everquest is not about insane cartoon characters with guitars and anime stereotypes.
    It is still fantasy-based MMO and characters have fantastic art style and not generic like for example in The Elder Scrolls Online.”

“So in other words you just said only 2 (Guild Wars 2 and Secret World) because everything else is old as F and it’s gameplay mechanics has nothing to do with something called Trinity.”

#17 9 months ago
  18. Erthazus

“Yeah I have seen the characters. They are bland the 3d models don’t match the actual concept work. You won’t be proving me otherwise because I am just as informed as you. Also EQ Next is using the very same exact techniques as WOW and Wildstar. They are going with a painted look so just a diffuse, maybe some spec and their job is done so don’t go with the whole cartoon anime bs because EQ Next is going the same route. It looks cartoonish.”

Now this is going to the subjective “taste” of discussion. That is your opinion about “bland 3d models that don’t match the actual concept work” because that is not true at all and I’m not the only guy in the world who thinks the same as me.

and no. You are not informed. You don’t even knew that EQ1 and EQ2 were still alive so… Here you go. Another one of your failures. Just like with Diablo III. I remember everything ; ) SCHWING!

About cartoonish look. Yeah. They are going that way. Of course. They have something to do with WoW but not with Wildstar because Wildstar in it’s soul is a cartoon first of all. Everquest Next is using cartoon look to make it look good after so many years and that’s where Everquest II made a mistake with more “realistic-look” because even if they had more advanced graphics then WoW after all these years WoW still looked better with all enchancements over the years.

So what did SOE devs? They learnt it’s past mistakes.

“Oh jeezus and now you are making your own rules for a debate. Its like arguing with a 12 year old. You really have nothing and the fact that I bring up points and you use your own rules on why those points don’t work is just proof enough there is no point to even talking to you.”

I’m not making my own rules. I asked you a decent question. You didn’t answered me at all. Uou just took random MMO’s with combat mechanics that has nothing to do with Holy Trinity or closed battle system with enemies that required at least decent Tank and that were new AAA MMOS.

I asked you also about AAA titles and not niche one’s.

“You are just a person bitching and moaning about a MMO and its success and trying to scream how a new MMo will be a WOW killer as claimed by every fanboy of every new MMO. We will see when EQ Next releases in what happens until then you are just a person going to other MMO articles and banging on how its the second coming of christ. I am done.”

I’m not screaming anything at all. I’m just saying that New WoW expansion is not a big deal. I hope you will get this. Thank you.

and yeah. I’m not screaming that EQN is a WoW killer in subs. But I’m sure that this is a next gen game that has potential to be the biggest MMO because Everquest was always big.
    WoW subscribers are overrated. It was a holy damn luck from their part. Even Blizzard never expected these numbers.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Phoenixblight

“and no. You are not informed. You don’t even knew that EQ1 and EQ2 were still alive so”

Uh yeah where did I say it wasn’t “alive”? Go point it out. I will be waiting.

“Hey, 8 year old. you were the one that screamed this about STAR WARS MMO from EA every freakin thread!”

Hahha Right please go prove it. You will see I haven’t posted anything on any recent TOR article maybe in the beginning when I was playing. I have never claimed TOR was a WOW killer or anything that you are claiming EQ N to be.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Judicas

“We’ve already started working on the expansion after [Warlords of Draenor],” he said. “We’ve never done that in the past. ”

Roflmao kid needs to be quiet if he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Every blizzcon they’ve said oh yeah we have a small team looking at the next expansion after the one we just announced, every single damn time. Trying to pretend they have never done that in the past is just stupid.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

“More like milking to death because with each expansion we get less content…”

No we don’t. This is absolutely untrue, and I know this because I’ve played it. Mists of Pandaria was packed with more quests, additional content, extra stuff to discover, and regular content updates than *any* expansion that’s comes before it.

I agree in that I’m disappointed by the lack of new features, and the locations just won’t like very diverse or half as elaborate as Pandaria, but the claim the game is getting less content is utterly and completely false.

“Every blizzcon they’ve said oh yeah we have a small team looking at the next expansion after the one.”

Conceptualising and developing are not the same thing.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Darkfield

Well Erth I know you played a lot of WoW since you’re on my friend list and I had the pleasure of playing with you and you have every reason to be burntout by it, but and I hope you wont be upset with me, MoP compared to the previous expansions had fuckton of contents, it was and IS a delight. I fucking enjoyed it, I do believe Blizzard learnt its lesson well, they are updating the game on technological front and are keep adding variety of features to that. This is a win for all MMORPGers because as the competition gets more tense, people introduce more content, better features than before to be able to out-perform one another. This is good and Warlords of Draenor will be a great expansion.

#22 9 months ago
  23. Hcw87

Personally, going back to the best continent of WoW (Outland) is going to be nostalgic as hell.

#23 8 months ago