Xbox One: install sizes for all the launch titles inside

Monday, 11th November 2013 15:34 GMT By Sherif Saed

Xbox is out next week and you will need every bit of that 500GB hard-drive if you are getting a number of launch games. Get all the install sizes of the games through here.

We already knew about the Call of Duty install size, courtesy of Moonlightswami, when he received his console early and spilled all the information on the store page of some games.

Here’s the list of all we know about said launch titles, it is unclear if the sizes will be the same for digital and physical:

• Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag – 20GB
  • Powerstar Golf – 3.9GB
  • Ryse: Son of Rome – 34GB
  • Skylanders: Swap Force – 15GB
  • Xbox Fitness – 246MB
  • Zoo Tycoon – 2.6GB
  • Zumba World Party – 24GB

Thanks, X-One magazine, NeoGaf.

1. Mr Sparkle

Hmm…2TB HDD skus before the end of the cycle.

#1 10 months ago
  2. gomersoul

Is it mandatory to install?

#2 10 months ago
  3. ddtd

Yeah.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

246MB

#4 10 months ago
  5. gomersoul

Yeah I noticed after my post, I was a bit hasty posting!

#5 10 months ago
  6. Fin

Pretty sure these are download sizes, not install sizes.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Tecknologee

@2 @6 Read the title: Install

#7 10 months ago
  8. Phoenixblight

No its right if you go to the Neogaf thread.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

I thought mandatory installation as a requirement was removed?

#9 10 months ago
  10. bugmenot

Calm down everyone, so far only one of the big three, Microsoft, has been colleborating with the NSA in the “PRISM”-initiative. Considering that Sony is a Japanese company
    I’m sure Edward Snowden would’ve given us proof by now that Sony is involved. He’s already named some of the biggest American companies.

#10 10 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Wowser…

#11 10 months ago
  12. Pytox

Why cant it all be streamed from the cloud? :D

#12 10 months ago
  13. taternuggets

I only play a certain number of games at any given time…. if I ever need room to install a new game, i’ll just delete an older one…. you can always download it again if you want to go back to it.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Phoenixblight

Because MS cloud is not made for doing that.

#14 10 months ago
  15. bugmenot

Edward Snowden aka “son of liberty”

#15 10 months ago
  16. FrankJaeger

bugmenot aka “Ctrl C + Ctrl V” posts.

#16 10 months ago
  17. bradk825

@9 I still think that’s true but I am not clear on it.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Fin

@7@8

The Neogaf doesn’t say install sizes, it says download sizes.

No, the mandatory install was never removed, just the DRM/ability to play the game without the disk after install.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@18 Are mandatory installations required on the PS4?

#19 10 months ago
  20. Fin

Yup. Though you can play at least KZ while installing on PS4 (TBC other games), you’re not able to do so with at least Ghosts on X1 (TBC other games).

#20 10 months ago
  21. bobnice

Microsoft has said that we have 500gb internal storage and unlimited online storage via cloud

@20, wait a minute. I was under the impression that microsoft said we were able to play while downloading?

#21 10 months ago
  22. Djoenz

Unlimited online storage via cloud? Whaaaattt?????

#22 10 months ago
  23. Phoenixblight

So? You won’t be storing games on that space. It will be for the themes,saves and misc bs.

“wait a minute. I was under the impression that microsoft said we were able to play while downloading?”

Yes but in COD’s case you have to wait until you are atleast 50% until you can play which will be 25+ minutes.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Hcw87

Ofcourse you can play while downloading games, it’s been confirmed plenty of times. @20 is simply wrong.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Fin

You can play Ghosts while it’s installing, but not until it’s halfway through, which is about 15m.
    Microsoft said you could play while you downloaded, they never said what the initial payload would be.

If you want to extrapolate given the install/download size – 39GB, so you can start playing after a 20GB download.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Phoenixblight

At the end of the day it comes to the developers. KZ is a first party so they will understand the innards of the PS4 and be able to optimize so you can get in the fastest once downloaded or put in the system. I think it would be more comparable if we had info on such for MS exclusive titles like Forza, Ryse or Dead Rising 3.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Fin

Not if devs are mandated on one system and not on the other.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Djoenz

Here you go buddy:

#28 10 months ago
  29. Phoenixblight

What do you mean mandated? Is MS or Sony telling all developers how to install their game unto the system? I doubt it. There is no reason why Xbox One can’t do the same thing as KZ, none. And all developers and publishers would want the same thing. The last thing they want is something like MGS4.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Fin

I meant it’s not necessarily up to the game team – one platform might say “hey, you have to do this or you can’t master”, and the other one says “you can do this if you like, but we won’t push you to”.

“And all developers and publishers would want the same thing.”

Nope, they want what’s easiest for them. Things that they wouldn’t do by themselves, the platform holders force them to do.

#30 10 months ago
  31. fearmonkey

Thats one thing I definitely don’t like about the Xbox One, the Hard drive is not upgradeable.

When I bought my first Xbox 360, it had a 20GB drive in it, and I later got a 120GB for it and was always running out of space, and that was without mandatory game installation. When you have games like Oblivion/Fallout 3 with all that DLC it eats alot of space, and I could see the HD space in the consoles going very quick.

I’ve heard that it can use external storage, but can you run games off of that? If true, that softens the blow a bit, but I would rather be able to throw a faster and bigger HD in there. By the time I get one, I hope they increase the storage, but unlikely.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Ireland Michael

So if I bought, say, Killzone at retail for the PS4, I would still have to install the whole game on the HDD?

Are you guys *positive* about this?

#32 10 months ago
  33. Phoenixblight

Of course there are devs that go the easy way but not all devs will be doing the same thing. As I said we should wait to see how MS exclusive titles handle before we start thinking this is the norm especially when comparing to activision of all people.

Yes all games are installed on both systems. Its to help with read times of Bluray.

#33 10 months ago
  34. Fin

External storage for X1 (though not at launch, afaik), replaceable HDD for PS4 (+maybe external storage in future, I think).

It’s a limitation of BluRay read speeds. Also, it’s not exactly breaking news.
    You buy KZ at retail, you have to install it, but boot to first level is 2m44s – it installs during play.

No the comparison shouldn’t be between first parties, it should be between multiplatform games. Granted, we’ve no info yet.

#34 10 months ago
  35. monkeygourmet

How comes you have to install COD on ps4 / Xbone yet on 360 / Wii U, no install is required?

Surely the Bluray drives are fast enough now or is it purely a copy protection thing?

I’m almost 100% that all retail games require installation on both consoles.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Fin

Bluray read speeds.

#36 10 months ago
  37. Djoenz

Quick googlesearch and its shockinh:
    45 GB mandatory Killzone ShadowBallz
    Ghosts is 55 GB

:O

I knew it I will buy ps4 when there is a slimmer version without the bugs and kinks AND it will have a 1tb hard drive.

So long suckers muwhahahaha!!!!!! Next gen my ass. Digital future my ass twice!

#37 10 months ago
  38. Hcw87

My point is that you can play while DOWNLOADING, as in buying digital which is what @21 was asking. And you said it wasn’t possible at @20.

On both PS4 and XB1 you can play while DOWNLOADING and while INSTALLING, the amount of time you have to wait depends on the games.

#38 10 months ago
  39. monkeygourmet

But surely they are at least double the speed of PS3 drives?

A quick search said PS4′s drive is 3 times as fast as PS3?

#39 10 months ago
  40. Phoenixblight

I am just saying you are comparing KZ to COD. COD should be compared to another third party but COD is all we have thus far.

@39 Still slower than HD DVD Drives :P

#40 10 months ago
  41. Fin

Yup, show me when I said it wasn’t possible to play while downloading.

Yeah fair enough, but I’m more optimistic about PS4′s download sizes/install speeds.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Ireland Michael

@34 Blu-ray read speeds? Bullshit. That was a valid excuse 6 years hem the PS3 drive was slower than molasses, but that doesn’t swim in 2013, when the read speeds are over 8 times faster.

I don’t care how long it takes – unless the game requires read / write data outside of the available RAM, there is absolutely no excuse for it now to run straight from the Blu-ray.

My HDD would be full within six months. At least with the PS4 I can swap in a bigger hard drive, so I guess thats pretty much seals the deal for me as far as hardware goes.

#42 10 months ago
  43. aseddon130

i’m 100gb down on just the launch titles, shit this 500gb ain’t gonna see me till 2015!!!

#43 10 months ago
  44. Hcw87

”you can play at least KZ while installing on PS4 (TBC other games), you’re not able to do so with at least Ghosts on X1”
    ”You can play Ghosts while it’s installing, but not until it’s halfway through”

Sure, it’s about installing, but it’s contradicting nonetheless.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Phoenixblight

Yeah I honestly see no point in going digital for next gen especially with the size of games at least with the physical versions I can uninstall it and put it back in and use very minimal bandwidth. Indie and small games sure but triple A titles naw I’ll pass.

#45 10 months ago
  46. Djoenz

Dont forget the extra money to buy that hard drive.
    Come on ppl I knew 500gb was way too insufficient and now yall ready to buy that extra.

Is it so hard for ppl to wait a extra year or two? :(
    Am I the only one. Oh and CyberMarco :D

#46 10 months ago
  47. KineticCalvaria

@42, Here ya go Mike.

Definitely need another HDD.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Ireland Michael

@46 Nope. I don’t find myself touching any of the new hardware until the start of 2015 at the earliest. It would take an absolutely monumental title to make me even remotely consider putting down money on it sooner.

@47 Bah.

At least it’s fast caching. I really don’t want to sit and watch Snake smoking a cigarette for ten minutes in MGS5.

#48 10 months ago
  49. KineticCalvaria

@48, My thoughts exactly, I also didn’t know about this.

:( sad panda.

#49 10 months ago
  50. Phoenixblight

My ps3 has worked for 6 years so throwing 400$ for a new console is a drop in a pond especially if it lasts at least as long as the PS3 has provided me. As I said I can just uninstall games I am not playing its not a huge deal and buy a bigger HD at a later point especially since I bought a 2 TB HD a few months ago for less than 100$.

#50 10 months ago
  51. Fin

“Yup, show me when I said it wasn’t possible to play while downloading.”

“Sure, it’s about installing”

CLOSE ENOUGH

#51 10 months ago
  52. Hcw87

You still provided a false statement, so no need to get on your high horse yet.

#52 10 months ago
  53. Djoenz

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps a new Naughty Dog game or FFXV, but I can wait.
    I mean I can buy it but not afford it tbh. A lot of bills. I dont want the YLOD fiasco so I will wait for the slim version like I did with ps3. To each its own.

#53 10 months ago
  54. Phoenixblight

That is fine but don’t be passing judgement on those getting a system at launch. I have money and I know its an investment and as far as the YLOD or RROD there are warranties for such and all I have to do is do a backup on an external drive. The only thing that is really lost is time of the system getting repaired.

#54 10 months ago
  55. Phoenixblight

That is your right but passing judgement on those that do have the money to purchase a system at launch is uncalled for. There are such things as warranties and you can back up your data on the HD so the only thing that is lost if a YLOD were to happen is the time getting the system repaired.

#55 10 months ago
  56. Djoenz

Oh yeah many solutions and actions you can take for a product that shouldnt have these issues in the first place. Keep fooling yourself and I will keep passing judgement for that is my right as in freedom of speach.

#56 10 months ago
  57. Phoenixblight

Well then you will keep coming off as jealous prick.

#57 10 months ago
  58. TheDeathKwonDo

Games install as you download them. Disc installation-to-play will be much quicker than download-to-play, which will be determined by your download speed.

#58 10 months ago
  59. livewired500

Well the OS is going to chew up some space. Plus if you have more than one profile, that will take some more. Then you will need room for updates. Don’t forget apps like Netflix and Hulu. Then you have DVR/Share button that you will be trimming movies and dropping those onto the drive as well.

Then you have games getting much bigger and looking like they will get smaller. Don’t forget all the DLC they will shove at you for games like BF4 and Ghosts.

In reality, it looks like you may only be able to have a very limited amount of games installed and ready to play at one time. I think that is going to get old very quickly.

I would not be surprised if Sony has a 1tb sku in the works already and we could see it by next spring. That will be okay for myself since I won’t be picking one up until at least then.

Going to be an interesting launch to watch.

#59 10 months ago
  60. Judicas

Rofl comparing those two nba game install sizes no wonder nba live looks current gen and nba 2k looks next gen!

#60 10 months ago
  61. sebastien rivas

Considering the OS itself needs space and considering all games combined at launch is already more than 500 gigs then good luck swapping/uninstalling/installing.

Games are swelling and a 2 TB or bigger should not be uncommon.

#61 10 months ago
  62. noamlol2

so many shitty titles, so little space

#62 10 months ago
  63. CPC_RedDawn

Well done Microsoft you just made it so your user base will only be able to install around 10 triple A games on your system if each game is 50GB in size. With no option to swap it out that is just a joke. I, and many others don’t want yet ANOTHER device attached to your already ugly box (external HDD) to install games on.

I have had a 1TB HDD in my PC for around 5 years now, and right now I have 2x1TB drives(one for media and one for games), and a 240GB SSD (OS Drive).

This is the most backwards way of doing things, oh yea and installing an SSD into either the Xbox One or PS4 will result in a pointless buy as they are STILL using Sata2 connection not even Sata3 which is common place on PC. Heck even my girlfriends £299 laptop has Sata3 and USB3 as standard!

#63 10 months ago
  64. DSB

Yeah I don’t see any reason why they’d go with a 500GB HDD. They’re cheaper than dirt.

That’s kinda disastrous if you want to be a digital platform.

#64 10 months ago
  65. G1GAHURTZ

Use an external HDD.

Problem solved.

There… That was easy, wasn’t it?

#65 10 months ago
  66. Phoenixblight

FOr storing, I am not sure you can. The PS4 will not support Ex HD and the Xbox One will support them at some point later on.

#66 10 months ago
  67. Legion

Don’t worry. You don’t have to worry about numbers of titles on release for your system of choice. Seeing that Indie titles appears to be the main focus of your choice this generation. ;)

Xbox 360 allowed some games to be have portions of disks saved to external (GTA V for example with one of the disks) so that possibility is still there. I have a 350GB HDD for my Xbox 360…. and feel that 500 HDD is an acceptable amount.

#67 10 months ago