Killer Instinct’s Arcade Mode won’t release until conclusion of Season One on Xbox One

Saturday, 9th November 2013 18:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Killer Instinct’s single-player Arcade Mode will not be released until all of Season One lands on Xbox One, Microsoft Studios game designer Daniel Fornace has told OXM.

Fornace said at launch, six characters will be available for the game, and once the other two characters are released – bringing the total to eight – Arcade Mode will be released.

“Our Arcade mode is going to come out when we’ve done the eight characters,” he said. “So once the last character comes out then we’ll have Arcade.”

It will still include offline play in the form of Survival and Dojo Modes.

“Survival is like our endless mode,” Fornace said. “The way it works is you pick a difficulty and you go in, and you’re basically playing a long chain, and after each match you regenerate health, but as you go on you generate less and less, and even if you do beginner difficulty, as you get to the higher numbers the CPU does start getting tougher, so you’ll still hit a limit.

“You set your difficulty to where you’re at – so if you set it to Champion it’ll start hard and get even worse.

“The Dojo is our big tutorial mode. We’re teaching you about Killer Instinct, but we’re also trying to teach you about fighting games in general, and their terminology, because often you’ll hear people talk about fighting games, and you know they just don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Killer Instinct will launch with free-to-play character Jago with other characters running you £3.99/€4.99/$4.99 each. The Season Pass will run you £16.99/€19.99/$19.99 and comes will all eight characters.

It launches alongside Xbox One later this month.

1. CyberMarco

Not because you are rushing as hell!!!

I’ll laugh my ass off with all the wieners that will bitch and moan regarding the problems/issues of the next-gen consoles, PS4 and XB1.

Mandatory!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s&feature=player_embedded#t=103

#1 5 months ago
  2. Xbone

What a piece of junk! There is not one xbone excl. where I can say “yea… this game totally looks like a next-gen (or even a good) game”.

#2 5 months ago
  3. POOhead

@1 all free to play games do this retard

#3 5 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

@3 Yeah, all F2P games ask for a price fee “retard” -.-

#4 5 months ago
  5. Butcher8

Don’t forget there will be a second season with 8 more characters.

#5 5 months ago
  6. The_Red

This is just sad. If the game was really free then sure but they are pretty much using F2P as an excuse to charge 20-50 bucks for a fighter with less than 12 fighters and no arcade mode.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Eon

How is this sad? This was pretty well known a while back. The game could’ve released next year with all this content or they could’ve (and will) release it with an incomplete feature set, allowing fans to enjoy it earlier. The content is free later on with whatever package you got. This isn’t a F2P title, why people refer to it that way I have no idea. It’s a downloadable game with an extensive trial mode. Dear me, how VG247 has fallen.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Super Girevik

Like Eon mentioned, this is not an F2P title.

Ken Lobb said, “I just want to get as many people playing as I can. Some people are like, ‘oh, free-to-play.’ No. It’s not free-to-play. What is free-to-play? It’s a thing you really can’t ever own at all. Day one, if you want to buy our game, buy it. You own it.”

I believe their strategy will accomplish the goal of attracting people to the game. You have a free version with Jago that you can play for as long as you like. If all you care about is Fulgore for example, for $5 you’re set. If you want the entire game, $20 will get the job done.

How many brand new fighting games release for $20? If I was buying an Xbox One, this would be in my library day one.

However, I would rather see Microsoft demonstrate their recent “promise” to support Windows gaming by releasing this game for the PC.

#8 5 months ago
  9. airsick7

Dear god, what are they doing to this poor game?

#9 5 months ago
  10. Eon

@8. Agreed wholeheartedly. I’ll be picking up an Xbox One and most likely KI, it has been getting some good write ups. I’m not a hardcore fighting fan, more casual but I’m hoping to get into it more through Killer Instinct, as it seems to have quite a core fighting focus.

I suppose it depends how well it performs on the Xbox One first and at tournaments. I’m sure if it does well there then a PC version can only be around the corner.

They’re aiming to get closer to a 40 character roster when it’s all over with. 8 in season 1, 8 in season 2. I can see a long string of updates over the years if thats the case. Some people may not like that concept but I for one enjoy a game that gets expanded and encourages you to stick with it through continued support.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Legion

Can you play it? Yes.

Does it cost you anything to play it? No.

Then it can be considered FREE TO PLAY.

Is it limited to only a portion of the game experience? Yes.

Is this basically the premise behind all games these days, to pay more for added experience? Yes.

Is Sony basically doing a similar thing with their DriveClub game? Yes.

Get used to it people. It isn’t like MS and Sony haven’t been writing this on the wall already.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Super Girevik

Any demo version of a game could be considered F2P using your criteria.

#12 5 months ago