PS3 sales pass 80 million worldwide, 4,332 retail titles on system to date

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 08:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has sold over 80 million PlayStation 3 consoles worldwide, according to new figures released today.

To put this in some kind of perspective, Sony stressed that since the console originally launched in November 2006, a total of 4,332 games have launched on the format, excluding digital-only releases.

Sony added that an additional 300 titles will launch across the holiday season, and that there are now 222,000 pieces of digital content on PlayStation Network. Of that figure, 72,000 items are video game content.

It comes ahead of the PlayStation 4′s launch in North America on November 15, followed by its wider launch on November 29.

To ramp up excitement, Sony has released these four PS4 trailers. What do you think.

Via GI.biz.

1. CyberMarco

Not bad considering all the wrong steps Sony did. Could have been better though…

#1 10 months ago
  2. Pytox

Isnt it more than 360 now?

#2 10 months ago
  3. Nam3M3King

^^ does it matter if it’s sold more or less than 360, at the end of the day those are good numbers, in 3/4 years could surpass ps one sells

#3 10 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 I think it was simply an honest question.

#4 10 months ago
  5. SCAssassin

@2 Last I heard it was neck and neck judging by the reports from yesterday.

#5 10 months ago
  6. CyberMarco

Xbox 360 units sold worldwide: 79.4 million (as of September 30, 2013)

#6 10 months ago
  7. Nam3M3King

@4 I didn’t mean sound aggressive was try respond as lightly as I can :)

Didn’t want make my debut on VG make me look like an ass

#7 10 months ago
  8. Christopher Jack

I’d put money on Sony not only having surpassed Microsft’s Xbox 360 sales, I would also bet that they have a larger install base (people who still own the console, so that’d be taking broken consoles, etc out of the equation) but the fact is MS have a higher attach rate (software sales) & have made loads from peripherals (the profit margins from simple HDDs in a silly enclosure & pretty standard wifi adapters must be enormous before even considering Kinect’s sales). I think since Sony introduced the competing PS+ things have improved for both MS & Sony but seeing the PS4′s MP put behind the same paywall makes me want to skip next gen & keep going with my PC.

Let’s also not forget XBL Gold- many fans would claim that that money was put back into making it a better service, that’s probably not true, MS already had the infrastructure & know how to run a successful network like XBL. They added the premium because it’s an excellent additional cash flow that obviously many are willing to shell out for. I personally never liked the concept & in my opinion it has had a negative impact on the industry (from a consumer’s point of view) no matter the benefits I dislike the idea of putting MP behind a paywall, the very reason I’ve never touched a subscription based MMO & never will.

If I were to also make another bet, I’d wager that MS may have done even better with the Xbox 360 than Nintendo did with the Wii- which also made a shit tonne from peripherals but I think it’d be quite close. I think it’d be difficult to directly compare the 2 though as Nintendo’s financials probably includes the wildly successful DS.

#8 10 months ago
  9. CycloneFox

@2: I thought it was in January, that PS3 passed the Xbox360 with 77 mil PS3s to 76 mil Xbox360s and now it is at 80 mil.

The PS3 has always been selling better, the Xbox360 just had a year ahead. And it could have been much better for the PS3, if Sony hadn’t done su many failures after the big success of the PS2, but it was good anyway.

This time with the PS4, the people don’t have that strong image of the PS2 anymore and the Xbox is, at least in the US, more in mind than ever, but Sony managed to get rid of all the flaws, the PS3 had at the beginning and this time, both consoles will start at the same time. And on top of that, the Wii U is not doing so well, which is sad, of course, but good for Sony and Microsoft. And I think Nintendo is doing fine, anyway. Everything is pointing at a tense console duel.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Pytox

So ps3 won the marathon and 360 won the sprint :p well it’s very close gap then anyway, better than having one dominating console

#10 10 months ago
  11. Keivz

#11 10 months ago
  12. freedoms_stain

I’ve always found this number pointless considering both consoles had pretty bad failure rates early on (with MS winning that shitty honour), plus the hardware revisions that went on. I’d wager there aren’t many launch PS3′s or Xbox360′s in active use these days. They’ll either have died or been replaced by newer models.

#12 10 months ago
  13. dkpunk

@12 my fatty ps3 gave up the ghost a few years back. Launch 360 is still trucking away im happy to say.

#13 10 months ago
  14. dravenkaze

The 360 came out a YEAR before the ps3 and the sales are 78.8 for 360 and 80.4 for ps3 and thats from vgchartz both consoles made mistakes red ring of death being the main one. This is fact end of no point fan boys commenting more on this topic

#14 10 months ago
  15. Sadismek

@12 Yup, that’s probably true. Of my few friends who own a PS3, only one still has the launch one. I can’t believe it’s still running perfectly after all these years and hundreds of hours of games…

#15 10 months ago
  16. PEYJ

“I thought it was in January, that PS3 passed the Xbox360 with 77 mil PS3s to 76 mil Xbox360s and now it is at 80 mil.”

Yeah, that’s how I remember it too. Really odd.

#16 10 months ago