Project Gotham Racing revival seems unlikely as Spencer deems racing space “full”

Friday, 1st November 2013 12:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Project Gotham Racing seems unlikely to make a come-back any time soon, according to new insight from Microsoft’s Phil Spencer. He reckons the racing space is now too crowded for it to return.

The game was mentioned during an IGN podcast with Spencer. It’s the same episode that saw him say that Xbox One hardware will sell out after launch without Titanfall on the slate.

When asked if the PGR series was partof Microsoft’s plans for Xbox One, Spencer replied, “Maybe,” and added, “The Kudos system we had in PGR was the real secret sauce. That was the thing people really loved. It had a great feel. It was there at launch, which I think was important, for both the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

“It’s funny. I was playing the new Need for Speed on Xbox One the other day. That team and EA are doing an amazing job. The next game looks fantastic in that arcade racer space. Some of the rumours around PGR were probably us working on Forza Horizon with Playground, and people were guessing it was a PGR game.”

The future of the franchise has hung in the balance since developer Bizarre Creations was shuttered by parent Activision. That said, the PGR series does come up in conversation at Microsoft.

Spencer revealed, “We talk. Alan Hartman [Turn 10 studio manager] and I talk about PGR. We’re full in the racing space right now when we think about our franchises. But I know there is a lot of love for that franchise out there, and it would be interesting to think about what we could do. I don’t think we would ever have three console racing franchises. That seems like a lot for a first-party, with Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport.”

He concluded, “Forza Horizon is not PGR from an arcade style, but it’s not me sitting on a circuit running lap after lap. It’s more of an open world. There’s maybe an opportunity for us to look at some of the stuff that worked in PGR and think about how to…”

What do you think then? Has PGR had its day or could it happily co-exist among other racers out there? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. TrickyAudio

Sadface. I might actually of gotten an Xbox One for PGR. Well, not JUST for that, but it would of been a sweeter deal.

#1 11 months ago
  2. antraxsuicide

Smart move. It’s basically their strategy in every genre, which works better than the Sony method for sales and developer relations. Don’t cannibalize sales of another developer if you don’t have to. Then you’re not stepping on toes.

#2 11 months ago
  3. fihar

I have absolutely no idea how can anyone say with a straight face that the racing genre is crowded.
    4 or 5 years ago, maybe, but it’s definitely not crowded right now.

Shame really, because PGR used to fill that nice little gap between sim and arcade with perfection.

#3 11 months ago
  4. nollie4545

PGR 2 for me was the highlight of the whole Xbox experience. It has not been equaled before or since. It was the right combination of playability, physics and looks which made for some damn good close and plain old fashioned multiplayer fun.

#4 11 months ago
  5. mistermogul

@4 – Yep I totally agree. In fact PGR2 is my favourite racer of all time. Superb game.

Missing PGR was one of the reasons I didn’t want to go PS4 next gen so this news has eased the pain! :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

I never liked the series, even the original Dreamcast games it started as.
    However, many people liked the Kudos system and it’s a shame that that they allow the brand to die.

It was a very polished racer and unique in it’s gameplay, MS should revisit it sometime soon. I hope they arent planning a Forza yearly release thin…

#6 11 months ago
  7. nollie4545

PGR was never in the same world as Forza or GT, that was the point. PGR was a simple arcade style racer which was forgiving and yet very intense. I spent much more time playing PGR2 than any other game on any platform since. I was horrified at how they managed to completely cock PGR 3 and 4 up, I don’t know what happened but it is like the sole emphasis was graphics and it amounted to a much much poorer experience.

#7 11 months ago
  8. XanderZane

I definitely think they need to bring another PGR game out for the XBox One. Sometime in 2015 or 2016 would be perfect. They also need another Conker, MechAssault and Rallysport Championship game as well. If anything, bring out Rallysport before PGR. There is plenty of room for more racing games. The market isn’t flooded at all. The FPS market is what’s flooded. More racing and fighting games would be nice. M$ really need to work on my RPG’s as well. They really don’t have any of those for XB1 right now.

#8 11 months ago
  9. antraxsuicide

Honestly, they’re just going to do what they said they would with Horizon; two separate franchises. Forza Horizon 2 will be the arcade-ish racer (like PGR) and Forza Motorsport will be the sim.

#9 11 months ago
  10. redwood

@2 that’s a stupid strategy man.. they could do forza and pgr on alternate years and keep everyone happy.. forza isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. also with in-house development they can use it push more boxes AKA exclusive title list.

#10 11 months ago
  11. antraxsuicide

@10 See my comment #9. Forza Horizon is how they’re filling the arcade-but-not-arcade genre. The name is irrelevant.

#11 11 months ago
  12. UuBuU

@9 Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon and PGR are all semi-sims. They all have too many realism elements to be considered arcade racers, yet they’re not realistic enough to be considered true sims.

Despite all being semi-sims, they’re all unique. I certainly don’t consider Forza Horizons to be an adequate void filler for PGR.

#12 11 months ago
  13. sh4dow

Does that mean they’re going to make Metropolis Street Racer 2?!

Haha…

#13 11 months ago
  14. xxJPRACERxx

Without Bizarre Creations I don’t think they would be able to recapture the feel of PGR. Damn I miss PGR and Bizarre… :(

#14 11 months ago
  15. AnklaX

that may be true but i think PC is still a good platform to go for now

#15 11 months ago
  16. Hyperx64

Between Forza 5 and Gran Turismo 6, F1 2014 and Dirt(4). Most racing genres are covered! What we do need is another racer that goes back to the “beautiful journey” style of point-to-point racing pioneered by the original Need 4 Speed (1 & 2) and Test Drive (3, 4, 5 & 6) The only game to really give us that in the last decade is Outrun 2/Outrun Online Arcade!

Filling a genre that is not there is really the only safe bet for devs who would otherwise crash N Burn going up against Turn-10, Polyphony Digital and Codemasters.

On another note, racers I’d like to see are;

Road Rash 4 http://youtu.be/vJCquupzmSo
    Outrun 3 http://youtu.be/ou1fJ6CoRcI
    Dirt 4 http://youtu.be/fUoIUv79xRQ?t=1m34s
    Sega Rally 4 http://youtu.be/wVIBJgrVxWU?t=1m50s
    Flatout 4 (bugbear is making another http://youtu.be/XORYQ52migc
    Micro Machines V5 http://youtu.be/vKnVEwU_IYg

#16 11 months ago
  17. torjs99

metropolis street racer best racing game ever!

#17 11 months ago