UK game charts: Batman Arkham Origins enters at one, GTA 5 slips to second

Monday, 28th October 2013 08:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Batman: Arkham Origins has topped the UK gaming charts, pushing GTA 5 down a place. It’s a solid debut for Warner Montreal, which has inherited the cowl from Rocksteady Studios.

I’ve been playing the game over the weekend – as have many of you, clearly – and you can watch me play the first ten minutes of the campaign here.

You can also get our full Batman: Arkham Origins review round-up here.

Here’s the chart in full. We’ll add more once UKIE gives up the details:

1. Batman: Arkham Origins
  16. Max Payne 3
  17. Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  18. The Sims 3: Into The Future
  19. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  20. Sonic: Lost World

1. TheWulf

Wait, what? LEGO Batman 2 is still selling that strong? Oh my. Hooray for TT Games!

#1 9 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

What’s going on with this site? It’s cutting off comments, seriously where’s the rest of The Wulf’s essay?

#2 9 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

@2: http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

#3 9 months ago
  4. The_Red

It’s the closest thing DC fans have to LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. Seriously, Warner really needs to stop focusing on soon-to-be annualized Batman games and give something to Green Lantern, Supes and Wonder Woman fans.

#4 9 months ago
  5. DrDamn

There have been fairly universal Lego game sales in shops and online recently – might explain it and also Lego The Lord Of The Rings. Might also be a few disappointed teenagers who asked mum to get them the latest Batman game at the supermarket ;D

#5 9 months ago
  6. Goffee

The Vita/3DS Batman Blackgate game didn’t even chart? Well that was worth developeing then! (Just checked the 3DS version is out next week) Even so, that’s pretty poor…

#6 9 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I can’t help but have a low opinion of some gamers, especially those who love violent games. I see them as being sociopathic at worst, and having poor social skills at best. This plagues my mind a lot, and then I view this article and I see your comment and I think… maybe I’m not wrong at all. Not even remotely.

What was the reason for that bile? What was the point?

Do you ever think about this before you post? Do you ever think about it after you post? Do you ever sit back and wonder why you posted what you did, or whether it was necessary? Does it concern you that you’re preoccupied with other people to the point of hatred when you shouldn’t be?

All you’re doing is fuelling my poor perception of the common gamer.

I’m sure I’m going to see a lot more snark and bile, but that just fits the pattern, really. I don’t say what everyone else does, in the same way that everyone else does, so I’m met with sociopathic rage. It’s hard to not see gamers like that, and you’ve just made it that little bit harder.

Thanks.

There’s your essay, jerk. Written with as much honesty as I can muster.

#7 9 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I hope that isn’t why, but it could be. Hadn’t thought about that.

#8 9 months ago
  9. TheWulf

That’s also a very fair point. It’s actually surprising now that I think about it, but unsurprising at the same time.

See, I’ve often been told that Marvel presents a better ‘media front,’ in regards to movies, cartoons, and games. Though I would personally disagree with the ‘cartoon’ part of that, aside from some corkers (Spectacular Spider-Man et al). But when it comes to movies and games, I can see it, yeah. There’s a distinct lack of focus on anyone but Batman, and with Warner, it seems to be Batman O’Clock all the time.

Nothing against Batman, but they have a stable of equally interesting characters that they could pick from. I can’t even imagine how crazy a Doom Patrol film or game would have to be (at least, if it wasn’t watered down). That might actually be happening though, I forget.

Still, I can understand your viewpoint, and now I feel bad for DC fans. Though there was the DC Scribblenauts game, though for most that probably wasn’t what they were looking for.

See, I can empathise because I like exploration/puzzle/parkour games. I was in a sea of grey-brown violence for a while, and then that started to change. I’ve experienced many wonders of late that have made me feel better about the state of gaming. Even the recent Stanley Parable made me feel really good. I think the only thing missing from my life now are good werewolf games, but even those seem to be trickling in.

So having just gotten out of a drought myself, I empathise for them. I hope there are more games featuring around other superheroes, soon. That would be awesome for them.

Batman is great, he sells, but he’s not going to sell forever. Not even to the mainstream. Everyone has to get tired eventually, right?

I get tired before most, so I got tired of how Batsy’s used up all of his potential a while ago. So I’m glad they’re doing something to reinvent him with New 52, and especially Morrison’s Batman Inc. But I digress. They do have some pretty rad characters and teams, and it’s a shame they never get to see the limelight.

Marvel does tend to be more fair in that regard.

So, yeah, point accepted. I hadn’t thought of that, either. I like comic book games, really, too. I’m more of a Marvel fan, but I appreciate that I’m not killing everyone, all the time. I’m… weird, I find it hard to feel good about that, and not many understand that, or even want to.

So yeah, I like superhero games, and I’ve had some great ones, lately. The Amazing Spider-Man was beautiful, honestly. And the demo for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes was sublime. So… I hope they get their games.

If I were a DC fan and I were longing for non-violent games featuring my favourite heroes. Yeah, that’d suck.

#9 9 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

@9 Green Lantern would probably make for one of the best DC games. If they did it right it’d be not so much an open-world as an open-galaxy game; trotting from one planet/sector to the next, solving crimes, taking down bad guys, helping out aliens etc. Mass Effect-meets-GTA.

You wouldn’t even have to play as Hal/John/Guy/Kyle (though why wouldn’t you want to play as Guy!?!) as character creation could be open-ended; there’s all kindsa funky Guardians out there! Throw in a few fan-favorite story arcs in there as a larger backdrop (Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night etc.) and you’ve got the makings of a truly epic game.

Plus: playable Mogo. Gotta happen :D

Still, to do that right it’d take a buttload of money, time and effort…and realistically (as much as myself and others might love the GL universe), without a popular, proven movie franchise to hang its hat on it just ain’t gonna happen ;( At least Batman games never have to worry about this problem.

P.S. Nice to meet another comic fan on here. Wasn’t down with your Bendis-bashing on another post a while back (I’m an unashamed fan) but I respect your opinion all the same ;)

#10 9 months ago
  11. pcbros

Go Batman! This is a must buy for me. Just waiting for a Steam’s Black Friday sale :)

#11 9 months ago