UK game chart: GTA 5 re-claims top, Pokémon & Beyond pose little threat

Monday, 14th October 2013 09:07 GMT By Dave Cook

GTA 5 has risen to the top of the UK charts once more, following defeat at the hands of FIFA 14. Newcomers Pokémon X & Y and Beyond: Two Souls have fared well but haven’t managed to topple Rockstar and EA’s battle for first.

Both Pokémon X & Y scored well in our review round-up, but it seems that X is Britain’s flavour of choice.

Beyond: Two Souls on the other hand, has received mixed reviews. See what the critics thought here.

Here’s the chart in full:

• 1. Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar)
  • 2. FIFA 14 (EA)
  • 3. Pokemon X (Nintendo)
  • 4. Pokemon Y (Nintendo)
  • 5. Beyond: Two Souls (Sony)
  • 6. F1 2013 (Codemasters)
  • 7. Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft)
  • 8. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
  • 9. Disney Infinity (Disney)
  • 10. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Nintendo)
  • 11. Saints Row IV (Deep Silver)
  • 12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)
  • 13. NBA 2K14 (2K Sports)
  • 14. May Payne 3 (Rockstar)
  • 15. PES 2014 (Konami)
  • 16. Splinter Cell Blacklist (Ubisoft)
  • 17. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
  • 18. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
  • 19. Dragon’s Crown (NIS America)
  • 20. The Last of Us (Sony)

We’ll have the rest of the chart once it’s published.

1. loveaya

#5 for Beyond: Two Souls, not a good start.

#1 11 months ago
  2. maxroy

@1 For a new, exclusive IP, I think that’s a pretty good start.

Also I think it’s impressive that both pokemon games reached so high on the charts seeing they’ve only been out for a couple of days.

#2 11 months ago
  3. DrDamn

The first two days of a big release is when it sells the most. The first “week” sales even when they are two days are normally well above the second full week. It will include all the pre-orders up to that point and all day of release sales too.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Double F

@1 & 2

There are no concrete numbers so we don’t actually know how it did.

#4 11 months ago
  5. polygem

not sure how to do the math with X and Y…it´s basically the same game. i´d realy like to find out it´s chart position if you´d add both versions – look at it as one game.
    i have a ps3 but i am not even slightly interested in beyond.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Luciferous

I’m quite impressed that Tomb Raider is still in the charts. Wonder how many copies that game has sold now…

#6 11 months ago
  7. Nfanboy

Pokemon pose little threat ???

What a stupid premise !!!

Pokemon X & Y are the same game, but for some reason ( a dubious reason ), the titles have been separated. So OF COURSE, GTA V keeps the tops spot.

But if you look at the REAL chart ( the individual chart track ) : http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

You see that Pokemon is WITHOUT a doubt the best selling game in UK !!!

Not to mention that the game has less than 2 days of sales…

Make your research next time…

#7 11 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECvs1C48gS4

#8 11 months ago
  9. DrDamn

@5 and @6
    Given it’s two parts of the same game shouldn’t we just count the intersection where people have bought both? ;)

RE: Beyond. Don’t want it either but I think it’s a very good thing that games that I have no interest in but other really enjoy do come out. Highlights the diversity in gaming today. Once upon a time you’d expect to play and enjoy every “good” game that came out. Now you can have fantastic games which you don’t want to play and probably wouldn’t enjoy – doesn’t stop them being fantastic and it is a good thing.

#9 11 months ago
  10. MFBB

Beyond got got kinda bad reviews and seems not to be as good as Heavy Rain.

Going to get it for free on PS+ or buy it for 10€ next year.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Pytox

I’m not really interested in Beyond either

#11 11 months ago
  12. polygem

@9: i just thought it would be interesting to see the sales total of the new pokemon games. they´re basically the same game with slightly different pokemon in it, which makes sense because it´s a game about trading different critters. i don´t give a shit about comparing sales anyway. i am happy if a game that i enjoy sells though, sure, that means there will be more of it.
    regarding beyond: i haven´t played beyond and therefor i cannot judge it. looking at it from my experience with heavy rain and by watching some reviews i am just not interested in it. that´s all. no problem. (i´m not interested in gtaV either atm :) IV disappointed me and i am not feeling like playing gtaV atm – maybe later.) i must admit that i look at these movieesque games with very mixed feelings. i personally actually see it more as a threat to gaming culture than as an evolution of it. right now we really see a trend of broadening the audiences by making the experiences more shallow, more movie influence, getting actors in, more sports games, combine your sports with a game, tv, episodic games, f2p. call me old school but i just don´t like these trends. at all. to me, this looks like it´s watering down gaming, which to me still is a very interesting, unique and creative form of entertainment with lots and lots of gems to be found. i´m not as negative about it as it might sound right now but going more mainstream in a biz where cash is all could in the end kill lots of smaller projects. only positive i can make out of this is that we´ll probably see a more and more healthy indie scene to counter trends.
    the big aaa gaming loses it´s magic for me completeley atm – for the most part – this was different only a few years ago and yeah, this leaves me with mixed emotions.

#12 11 months ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

Beyond is going against giants.
    The fifth spot is not bad at all if you look at the first 4 games.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Nfanboy

Beyond is selling extremely well !!!
    Nobody was expecting the title to be in front the Juggernauts like GTA, Fifa and Pokemon.

#14 11 months ago
  15. DrDamn

Was only joking on Pokemon – not my thing. Tried one a while back Blue/Red era maybe? Bored me to tears. So I’m not really clear on actual difference between X&Y and whether people would normally buy both or just one.

I don’t see games like Beyond as a threat at all – purely diversity. Not my thing but I don’t want all games to be aimed at me and I don’t expect to enjoy or want to play all games (even the 10/10 ones).

GTAV is a lot more enjoyable than GTAIV. Main story/mission wise it feels like much more of a cohesive game – rather than simply a load of missions set in a sandbox. I think the variety in main characters helps that. So when they have a good idea for a mission they can tailor it to the character it best suits. So doing things generally don’t feel out of character. That’s before all the out of main mission stuff which is again a lot better than GTAIV. Wait until you are in the mood for this type of game and pick it up then though.

#15 11 months ago
  16. polygem

@15: i will probably check gta V out at some point, it´s just that right now i don´t feel like picking it up.
    i like diversity too of course, there are lots of great games that i am just not feeling because of genre/ setting etc. eventhough i know they are superb games. it is indeed great that these days -we really have much more options to game. there are certain trends though which i really don´t like – like making games more like a movie for example…but hey, i can be a grumpy ol´ party pooper sometimes
    pokemon: never really got into it. game came out when i was in my early twens. i had other stuff to do back then. i checked it out but it really didn´t grab me at all.
    i started playing x and after the first few hours (5 or 7) i thought, ok, that´s it, it´s kind of fun but nothing i really want to put more time into, there are so many other games worth my time…then, somehow, it clicked and it clicked like crazy. i am 18 hours in now and i love it. everytime i turn it off, only 30 minutes later i want to turn it on again (which can become problematic, it´s not the weekend anymore. i need to really control myself not to hide under the office table or go in a cafe for lunch break and never return :) )a friend has a copy of y. he´s a pokenoob as well. we talked on the phone about the game for more than an hour yesterday. can´t wait to trade stuff and get into online more.
    the game is a bit on the easy side (i picked the fox as a starter and he pretty much blew everything out of my way right from the start) but it really is a joy to play. i really started to want to catch some of those later pokemon now. they look like they would be a great addition to my party. the concept of the game really is freaking awesome – so addictive.

#16 11 months ago
  17. SplatteredHouse

I couldn’t care less about GTA V. I don’t foresee a time, sale or otherwise, that I set out to play that game. The whole idea sounds dry, and I’d sooner see something set somewhere else, elsewhere, with other casts of characters released and capture interest and imaginations.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Joe Musashi

I think Beyond, a new IP on a single platform is doing pretty well considering.

Looking at the strength, profile and heritage of some of the other titles in that chart – including those spread across multiple platforms, it’s an encouraging sign for a game that doesn’t follow an established template.

I wonder what Sony’s forecast for it is..

JM

#18 11 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

#19 11 months ago
  20. Gama_888

@13, very true.Those 4 above it literally are some of the biggest titles in the industry.

#20 11 months ago