The Amazing Spider-Man 2 announced for multiplatform launch in spring 2014

Saturday, 12th October 2013 20:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been announced by Activision. The game is in development with Beenox, and builds on the story of the previous game with an alternative take on the events of the upcoming movie.

The game will once again be a free-roaming affair where Spidey can web his way through a greatly-enhanced Manhattan cityscape.

The game also contains the “Hero or Menace” system, which incentivizes Super Hero behavior by rewarding the web-slinger’s crime-fighting efforts, and adds consequences for letting criminality fester. Spider-Man’s personal brand of web-swinging and up-close-and-personal combat will see a variety of new features as well.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game is planned to launch alongside the feature film next spring for 3DS, PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One and Xbox 360.

The original Amazing Spider-Man comes out later this year on Vita.

Teaser below courtesy of AGB.

1. TheWulf

Yes! Oh, I was so hoping that Beenox would develop this one. They did such a good job with the last one.

The most difficult thing to get right with Spider-Man is actually Peter’s personality. If you overdo it, it can get obnoxious and you’ll learn to despise him. Brian Bendis’ horrible writing on Ultimate Spider-Man, which carried over to the USM game is a great example of how overdoing teenage obnoxiousness ruins Spidey.

He’s not hip, he’s a nerd, and he’s supposed to sound like a nerd. Making a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles joke was a brilliant example of that. But then, Beenox have a great sense of humour overall. There was a guy in that game ranting about ‘the man,’ all the while wearing an Acivision-Blizzard cap. No, really, I’m not joking. It was amazing.

Furthermore, there’s this ridiculous idea with fairweather Spidey fans that Peter can’t calculate a web on the fly in order to swing straight, and the end result is that he’s careering around the city like a person on acid who’s just found their first high-tech grappling hook.

That’s not what Spidey does.

Beenox actually managed to marry the ‘you can only swing as high as the tallest building’ with ‘hey, Spidey can swing straight, now!’

What this means is that instead of spending every second of the game concentrating so that drunken Spidey doesn’t go splat into the nearest wall (thank you for that, Spider-Man 2), you can actually play the game and enjoy it whilst not having the problem of Spidey swinging from a cloud. At least, that’s how it was on the PC version, which is the one I played.

So they got his personality right, and the mechanics right, and I’ve frankly never played a better game than The Amazing Spider-Man. And I’ve played and own all of them. (From the original Spidey on the PSone, right up to more recent efforts like Ultimate Spider-Man, Web of Shadows, and Shattered Dimensions.)

It’s funny because Ultimate Spider-Man was the biggest disappointment for me.

It’s aged beautifully, the cell-shaded graphics are laudable, and the city… man, the city is perfect. Yet Peter’s personality is so incredibly snark, bitter, and hateful (thanks Bendis!) that I can’t stand that version of him because he’s reduced to a snark machine, and the swinging isn’t just broke, it’s drunk.

So, yeah, Amazing Spider-Man turned out to be the most fun I’ve ever had and might ever will have with Spidey.

If this one is nearly as good as the first, I’ll love it to bits.

Edit: For those who aren’t familiar with Bendis’ awful, awful writing and thus don’t understand what my beef is… I give you Bendis’ Doctor Doom!

One of the most complex characters of the Marvel Universe reduced to a potty-mouthed, misogynist gangsta. And no, that’s not an edit someone did of the panels, that actually appeared in one of Marvel’s comics. Thanks Bendis.

#1 11 months ago
  2. DSB

If you overdo it, it can get obnoxious and you’ll learn to despise him.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Juice_Man101

Hahaha

#3 11 months ago
  4. Takeshi

@1: Interesting post. And yes, that writing does seem kind of terribad.

1. Beenox did a fairly good job on the last game. I’m excited for this next one if they manage to apply some of the feedback that was given by many of the reviews. That is assuming they will have time and money to do it.

2. The trailer’s graphics look fairly outdated? Certainly worse than the reveal trailer for the first game.

3. “and builds on the story of the previous game with an alternative take on the events of the upcoming movie.”

Huh, it won’t be a long story after the events of the upcoming movie but rather an alternative take on it? Given how the upcoming movie is about Electro, Rhino, and they have said that this game will “revolve around Spidey hunting Uncle Ben’s killer; it’s set in the movie universe but existing in its own continuity.”

Well, that just makes me a bit confused. If it makes a better story in the end though then I am all for it.

4. That last shot where he swings into the screen looks really bad. =/

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Except that I don’t really snark all that often. On the other hand, you just made a comment that was nothing but snark.

If we’re having an obnoxiousness contest, you’re winning!

But then, you always do win those.

It’s funny that it’s always so easy to prove that those who accuse me of doing or being something are always more guilty of it than I am, by a huge margin. It’s like a self-defeating effort that I don’t fully understand the purpose of.

Oh, that and I’m not a comic book writer, so it’s an invalid comparison there, too.

I think people just like making themselves look stupid.

That said, what do you offer the comments section that isn’t bile and snark, most of the time, anyway? At least I try to post insightful things. It’d be nice if you’d do the same.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Amazing Spider-Man was an absolutely terrible game game in every conceivable way, and considering this is Activision, I expect this to have the exact same cheap, shoestring-budget feel and terrible PS2-throwback mechanics as every other game they make.

Bendis isn’t a bad writer, that’s just a bad line.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Panthro

Dude, Spiderman is for kids…

A guy your age isn’t expected to like this game, get over it ;)

I like it, mostly because I play a lot of kids games with my little sister and they sort of grow on me now.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@8 Hahaha.

So is Pokemon, but that hasn’t stopped a dozen 30 something men I know, with wives and kids and full time jobs, from picking up the new one and spending every waking moment playing it.

I’m a big Marvel fan, and while I hate what they’ve done with the character, in recent times pretty much everything *good* about the character in the past half a decade has been written by Bendis.

#8 11 months ago
  9. bradk825

@8 Spidey is for all. Enough of the “silly rabbit” stuff.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Panthro

I didn’t say grown adults cant enjoy it, I’m just saying the people developing the game no doubt created it with things in mind for children.

I like some spiderman stuff, mainly spiderman for PSX, Spiderman for PS2 and the ‘death of spiderman’ arc in the ultimate comics, mainly because I found him a bit to complainy and emo in the previous issues and it was nice to see him die (muhahaha).

…spoilers

#10 11 months ago
  11. bradk825

@11 My favourite Spidey stories are the Marvel Civil War ones, and the ones right afterward. Haven’t read anything since then though.

#11 11 months ago