SNK demands ‘termination’ of Neo Geo X production

Sunday, 6th October 2013 22:08 GMT By Ewan Miller

SNK Playmore has terminated its license with Tommo Inc, distributor and manufacturer of the ill fated handheld NeoGeo X. Effective October 2, SNK’s demands demands include the immediate sales cessation of the NeoGeo X Gold, all six game packs and the SNK branded arcade stick Tommo produced.

The NeoGeo X only went on sale last december, however low sales have likely prompted this licence termination. In the announcement, SNK specifically its intellectual property rights over “NEOGEO” and “SNK”, promising to take “decisive action” should its demands not be met. The system ceased production earlier this year in Japan due to poor sales.

If you like the idea of picking one of these things up, Amazon and Gamestop still seem to be selling them.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. sebastien rivas

It was a good idea and revival but lack of creative marketing and game production potentially led to its failure.
    For instance, I remember reading briefly about Neo-Geo handheld roughly a year or perhaps 2 years ago but a brief is like a pebble in an ocean of competition.
    Does that men Neo-Geo will never work, no, it may but it is my belief to say, not in that current way.

#1 1 year ago
  2. absolutezero

I have one and it stinks.

Its an old emulator running on a half decent piece of hardware, as such its actually better to run Neo Geo Games on almost anything else other than this, a PSP is almost perfect. I don’t really know how they managed to balls it up that much but they did.

#2 1 year ago
  3. fengato

Good. Now SNKP, please bring the cream of the Neo Geo games to Vita (specifically Garou Mark of the Wolves.)

#3 1 year ago
  4. MrWaffles

The NEOGEO was amazing and its legacy will live forever, but nowadays it’s just an old console with a even smaller audience willing to pay for hardware anymore.

SNK’s IP’s on the other hand, need a face lift asap.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Surely your sitting on a huge future collectable though? Especially if they shut this down!

Cha-Ching!!!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Jp555

There are a lot of mixed reviews for this but I have one and I absolutely love it. I do play on the handheld device much more than the actual console, means I can play it on the train and stuff. On top of a jailbreak tool has been released by Xploder meaning that you can put other stuff on the Neo Geo and play like gameboy games or NES stuff. It’s probs going to become a little bit more rare because of the whole SNK Tommo stuff I guess. If you played one when you were younger you will love it. I just remember playing it at arcades playing Metal Slug. It’s not exactly the same but it’s an awesome experience to re-live.

#6 11 months ago