SCEA’s Boyes feels “nobody gains from console exclusivity”

Saturday, 5th October 2013 21:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA’s VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes is of the opinion that console exclusivity doesn’t benefit developers nor console makers.

“Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder,” he said via Gamaurta. “Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity. Developers now have the option to deliver on a huge number of platforms.

“We want developers to be successful.”

Boyes said that while exclusivity can help drive console sale, he doesn’t see see long-term exclusivity as being productive to either console makers or developers.

1. Crapgamer

Exclusives are what drives consoles at launch, the Wii U didn’t have many and it has suffered because of it. I weighted the PS4′s launch lineup and announced 2014 lineup against Microsoft’s launch lineup and announced 2014 lineup and went with Xbox One because it has more exclusives and more announced games.

Pretty simple really. I’d say later on in the generation it wont matter as much, but at launch it’s one of the most important things, you want to see a payoff for that hard earned money, and you want to see what these consoles can do.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

That’s why PS3 and PS4 had not a lot of exclusive games.
    Most of them are first party and it’s not much really.

Some Sony exclusives this gen was hit and miss. Most of the time it was miss or total failure like Playstation All Stars Battle Farts or Ps Move heroes or whatsoever and other shit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Exactly, a ton of average exclusives… Having exclusives is only a plus point if they’re actually good…

#3 1 year ago
  4. DGOJG

Translation: “Titanfall pls come to us too”

#4 1 year ago
  5. Cleaderwoo

Well, at least we know that none of the above comment have actually read even the first line of the article.

@2 Uh, I don’t know about you but Sony has the best exclusives in the industry. Killzone, LBP, Ratchet, Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Beyond, etc. All of them great exclusive games. So your point about them being shit/not being a lot is wrong.

But feel free to continue your biased hate lol.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Joe Musashi

@Article “Speaking in a keynote at IndieCade yesterday, Boyes said Sony wants developers to be successful, even if that means going multiplatform.”

Seems like the usual suspects are, as usual, giving their textbook knee-jerk responses to a headline and not taking any notice of context.

Perhaps the article image was too subtle?

JM

#6 1 year ago
  7. Biscuitpants

well bungie gained alot…

#7 1 year ago
  8. ChunkyLover112

Well, Sony doens’t gain anything because they make low quality games for very little money but Microsoft has gained a lot from this! Halo, Gears of War! Millions of gamers bought the console just to play those games!

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

Wow, that’s pretty sharp, and I couldn’t agree more.

I don’t see who gains from it aside from the fanboys getting one more pointless thing to obsess about.

I get that it adds a little e-peen to your brand, Halo and Uncharted. But the reason I bought a 360 was because of multiplats.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Bashtee

@8 what

TBH, I actually buy the PS4 mainly for the exclusives. I don’t play much these days (thanks to university), but if I play, I want to experience a good story or gameplay or whatever. If there is a multiplat title for PC, I usually get this version with very few exceptions. For example Watch_Dogs and Ass Creed 4. They would probably be better on PC, but the GPU would cost the same as a new PS4. So screw that.

#10 1 year ago
  11. sebastien rivas

Nobody profit yes indeed but it has its purpose and that is….
    For publishers whom some are multi million dollars publishers with shareholders who like growth but certainly not graphs like a yo yo up and down here comes a roller coaster “generally speaking”; hence timed exclusive may help elongate longevity of a product cycle across multiple platforms, and so with multiple title then you show up as a more prosperous publisher.
    Though in the meantime effectively developers do not instantly benefit and console manufacturer often have to pay a good load just to brag.. so… where is the efficiency? for nobody but perhaps, just perhaps for shareholders and publishers to brag about a title at hand.

If I were a next gen console buyer, I would hate being bragged at by another manufacturer and would certainly tell the dude to stick it up and deep and with a smile; hence nobody wins

#11 1 year ago
  12. Francis O

It depends. In Nintendo’s case, a lot of developers don’t want to develop on the Wii U. So Nintendo needs to purchase exclusives like The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Sonic Lost World, ect.

But I would be completely down with all third party developers making games for all systems, however, it just doesn’t work like that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

I’m dying to play State of Decay. I wish they’d bring that shit to the PSN.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Llewelyn_MT

Only timed exclusives make sense to the developers. TBH exclusives only benefit the console makers. I won’t ever play Last Of Us because I’m a PC gamer. It’s always hard to accept, except for first party games.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Ignore him he is an Xbox fanboy hes the equal to Nintendo loving fanboy at @12, feed them as much as possible and they run away at somepoint.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Legendaryboss

Topic this being said at an indie event i would assume he is talking about indie developers, so the majority of comments don’t make sense.

It took Minecraft a while to spread its wings, it did eventually. Can Minecraft developer still be considered indie? So like i said eventually all timed exclusives will come to other platforms.

Tired voice: Titanfall is not exclusive.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheWulf

Nice words. Though I’ll believe it when I see Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, Journey, Lair, and other similar titles on other platforms.

#17 1 year ago
  18. gomersoul

I said this last week and everyone disagreed… Suddenly Mr Sony says it and it makes sense… Exclusivity ruins it for gamers, whether it’s games or dlc. I can’t afford more than one gaming device apart from my smartphone so I have to miss out on many things. God I miss the ps2 days

#18 1 year ago
  19. VibraniumSpork

I’m finding it hard to find solid data on this, but I’d assume that there’s noticeable spikes in hardware bundles when AAA exclusive titles like Gears, MGS and TLOU are released. I know that I bought the Infamous PS3 bundle due to that game’s exclusivity even though I already had a 360.

For Sony and Microsoft these deals must make sound financial sense, surely? And for developers too; I’d imagine that such deals factor in the financial loss and risk the developers take in opting out of multi-platform, and allow those developers to focus on making a product that fully takes advantage of their chosen platform. I can’t imagine anyone at Naughty Dog is going hungry…

#19 1 year ago
  20. DGOJG

@16 Unless I’m mistaken its not been announced for anything other than Xbox consoles and PC.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Legendaryboss

Tired voice: your mistaken partly, thats not the definition of exclusive.

Exclusive = One platform, not three.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

Tired voice: Where exactly did @4 say Titanfall was an Xbox One exclusive? All he said was that Titanfall was NOT coming to Sony’s platforms any time soon, which is pretty much correct atm. The guy didn’t even mention the word ”exclusive”.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Legendaryboss

Article is about console exclusivity and reaffirmed by the response (20) to not exclusive “Unless I’m mistaken its not been announced for anything other than Xbox consoles and PC.” So forgive me for jumping to that conclusion.

“I don’t see why you get your panties in a bunch every time someone mention Titanfall and Sony in the same sentence. Butthurt much?”

For me to be butthurt i would have to care about Titanfall and buy it, i’m not so your butthurt about me not being butthurt. The only thing i could be butthurt about is your comment. I care because i do, i don’t have to explain myself to you. I don’t see the need for you to respond. He never said Sony, so much wrongness in your post, like usual.

Also how can you have a tired voice if you aren’t reiterating that point over and over again.

More wrongness.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DGOJG

@22: Thanks for the defence.
    @23: Its still technically “console exclusive” to Xbox. I personally don’t care but that’s what I was driving at anyway.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Legendaryboss

Much better, sorry for the misunderstanding.

#25 1 year ago