Deus Ex in the works for PC, next-gen – Human Revolution: Director’s Cut releasing this month

Wednesday, 2nd October 2013 15:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A Deus Ex title has been announced by Eidos Montreal as being in the works for PC and next-gen systems. The firm has dubbed its ongoing projects in the franchise the “Deus Ex: Universe” as it’s “an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games.”

Here’s the blurb from studio head David Anfossi:

“I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling Deus Ex: Universe. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before.

“Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc.

“I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game.

“It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.”

Anfossi also confirmed the release date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut which will hits stores on October 22 in North America and October 25 in Europe.

It will release on Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC with use of second screen remote play on SmartGlass for Xbox 360, Vita for PS3 and the Wii U GamePad.

The first piece of concept art is below.

1. Fin

Sweet!

Sounds like an MMO?

#1 10 months ago
  2. yeoung

Does sound like an MMO alright. If so, I’m particularly curious about the type of model they’ll be using.

Also wondering if stealth-focused gameplay would translate well to an MMO.

#2 10 months ago
  3. TheBlackHole

Another MMO?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#3 10 months ago
  4. BrahManDude

nice i was wondering when they were going to make another, this franchise has alot of potential

#4 10 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

Doesn’t sound like an MMO. Just sounds like a brandname for the franchise. Kind of like the ” Compilation of Final Fantasy VII”. Remember that one? They just want the brand have more recognition.

Anyway, glad to hear there is a new DX in the works. Here’s hope they hired better writers.

#5 10 months ago
  6. wickedcricket

I hate how English is a poor language and how easily people, after reading an article, are simplifying other’ people thoughts, deducing wrong conclusions in the end.

What part of what the man said says it is an MMO?

It’s more likely to be 1-3 New Games based on the same IP Rights, during the “next-gen” life cycle – that is what I read.

But reading that there is a new Deus Ex in works…..maaaaaan, today was a good day.

#6 10 months ago
  7. YoungZer0

@6: Calm down, they probably only read the first paragraph and wanted to be either excited or angry.

#7 10 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I didn’t mind Human Revolution so much. I agree with #5 that the writing was patchy here and there, but it won my heart in the end by allowing me to complete the game without killing people. I like a game like that every now and then, where I’m permitted to make that choice.

I’m weird about that, see.

With a game like Shadow Warrior, Saints Row IV, or Deadpool, I’m not so bothered by it because it’s silly and completely over-the-top, it’s impossible to take it seriously. It’s not meant to represent reality in any way, shape, or form. The character there is a force of nature, and not a human being with a conscience. In the case of other games though, it’s bothered me.

Mass Effect is a fine example, as much as I loved it. Shepard is a homicidal maniac one moment and then a philosopher of the ethics the next. This is true of all of the games in the series, but it’s most true of the first two as it isn’t all out war with them. There’s really no reason to slaughter mercs where you could have them arrested.

So Human Revolution was refreshing, as it got away from that.

I kind of dug it at least touching on transhumanism, too. It didn’t do that as well as Deus Ex or Invisible War, but it did an okay job of it. It was a very mainstream game in that regard, as it seemed to be terrified of pushing people too far, or showing the error of bad choices. Personally, I felt that the Helios ending of Invisible War is one of the most incredible I’ve ever seen.

But yeah, not bad, not bad. And not as bad as I thought it would be, though not as good as it could have been.

I’m happy to hear they’re making more, though, even if the best thing to come of it is that it’ll be another game where I won’t have to kill people.

#8 10 months ago
  9. thesamy

“I FUCKING ASKED FOR THIS!”

#9 10 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

Please DO NOT make a MMO out of this franchise.

I don’t mind a game world where multiple games take place in it, but taking a single player series known for stealth into an MMO sounds like a bad idea.

it actually sounds more like an Assassins creed kind of deal, where they will have constant games.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheWulf

People will jump to conclusions, it’s human nature. Though personally I thought ‘continuation of IP for a trilogy of new games’ too, rather than MMO. I guess expectations are at play, there.

#11 10 months ago
  12. wickedcricket

@7 yeah I think I’m both…sitting here looking at spreadsheets running reports, trying not to vomit from the smell of my colleague sandwich, thinking of getting a call sick for the rest of the week…so I can just BF4 Beta whole fricking day :P

#12 10 months ago
  13. Pitts

Where is everyone getting MMO from?

Sounds a lot more like they’re just putting a proper name to the entire franchise.

If it pushes them to make more content, I welcome it!

#13 10 months ago
  14. yeoung

“meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis”

That’s where I personally get an “MMO” vibe from. Well, that and the “Universe” moniker. Speculation, yes. I’m not discounting the trilogy idea in any way, it just seems like something SE would pull.

In fact, personally I’m hoping for something more in the style of Human Revolution, which I thought was rather excellent, barring the ending.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Pitts

@14- Y’know after reading the source at the blog, I think what sounds confusing is Anfossi calling it a “game world” which makes it sounds like a single, physical thing. Which would be an intriguing concept.

But none of the other language actually points to a giant multiplayer experience, most notably the promise of “several games”.

So I think it sounds a lot more like the IP will get the Fabula Nova Crystallis, or Ivalice Alliance, or Compilation of FFVII treatment.

Which could make sense considering they are owned by Square Enix.

Either way, we get DX 4! *high five*

#15 10 months ago
  16. Dendroball

#13 Maybe people are connectiong the dots after what some Square Enix executives said previously : http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/square-enix-plans-to-develop-more-persistent-online-games-going-forward/

In other words, Square Enix wants to develop service oriented games in order to expand the life cycle of their different titles (i.e. multiplayer oriented titles in a much more disruptive way than a simple multiplayer mode added to a single player experience). This strategy is the direct result of the recent restructuring of the company and its latest single player AAA titles costing too much to develop and earning not enough money.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Armitage Shanks

I absolutely asked for this,Thank ye noble cyberpunk gods.

#17 10 months ago
  18. nice_shot

@ #8

I get how you feel. There’s this character dissonance that happens every so often with certain games. Uncharted is pretty notorious for this and I feel Paragon Shepard, for lack of Mass Effect’s gameplay variation, also falls prey to it.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Pitts

@16- Possibly…

Though I have to admit it seems odd to jump to MMO from a post that specifically says “I’m not talking about an MMORPG” when discussing the subject. Sounds more like jumping the gun.

What I wonder is… what the eff is the plan if it’s NOT an MMO?

#19 10 months ago
  20. dexfx69

Great. Sounds like another online subscription based online game. Yawn.

#20 10 months ago