Tom Clancy: author and Red Storm Entertainment co-founder passes away at age 66

Wednesday, 2nd October 2013 15:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Author and co-founder of game development studio Red Storm Entertainment, Tom Clancy, passed away today in a Baltimore hospital at age 66.

Clancy wrote espionage and military science novels and co-founded the game stufio Red Storm Entertainment in 1996 before publisher Ubisoft Entertainment purchased it for undisclosed sum.

“We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy’s passing and our condolences go out to his family,” Ubisoft said in a statement. “Tom Clancy was an extraordinary author with a gift for creating detailed, engrossing fictional stories that captivated audiences around the world.

“The teams at Ubisoft, especially at the Red Storm studio, are incredibly grateful to have collaborated with and learned from him, and we are humbled by the opportunity to carry on part of his legacy through our properties that bear his name.”

Game franchises developed based on his intellectual properties include: Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, EndWar, H.A.W.X and the upcoming 2014 online shooter Tom Clancy’s The Division.

The latest game to be released based on Clancy’s properties was Splinter Cell: Blacklist which released in August.

1. diego-rbb-93

FUCK NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

#1 12 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Terrible news, such a shame.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Max Payne

I guess he found about what Ubi has done with Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell.
    R.I.P.

#3 12 months ago
  4. DSB

Wow…. That’s extremely sad.

Kinda feels wrong to mention his later novels (I don’t think he was really writing them himself) and all those games that really only had his name slapped onto them.

He did really good stuff. A true war geek to the bone.

#4 12 months ago
  5. lookingglass

Sad news. I’ve played a lot of rainbow six in my day and he was a great author.

Tinfoil hat time…

He was researching UFOs for his last novel and someone fed him information he wasn’t supposed to know.

#5 12 months ago
  6. aaron_avelino

Sleepwell to my idol Mr. Clancy. I’m not gonna play GTA Online tonight to pay respect over your death.

#6 12 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

Sad news.

Given how much of a genuine survivor he was, almost unreal to see him go so young.

Wonder what it was.

#7 12 months ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

Tango down, Rainbow Six (feet under), En route to the big Extraction Point in the sky etc.

…I’m going straight to hell.

Sad news though, honestly; the guy was linked to some of the best tactical action games I’ve ever played, and there was rarely a bad one. Ubi won’t skip a beat in continuing the Clancy franchises though I’m guessing.

#8 12 months ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

RIP Tom, we all enjoyed your work. Indeed a sad day. :(

#9 12 months ago
  10. Edo

A sad day indeed …R.I.P

#10 12 months ago
  11. digmouse

R.I.P Mr. Clancy. Thanks for all the exciting nights brought by The Hunt for Red October and The Sum of All Fears.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

Oh man, only 66. He brought some extremely amazing entertainment for us and for that i think you Tom Clancy. Rest in peace.

#12 12 months ago
  13. fearmonkey

He was rather young to pass away…A real loss.

#13 12 months ago
  14. NeoSquall

Maybe he didn’t survive the emotion of a Splinter Cell game that was actually good like the first trilogy…

Jokes aside, I’m saddened by Clancy’s passing, reading his books, especially The Hunt for Red October and Rainbow Six is what introduced me to modern militaria and ultimately led my younger self to embrace military shooters, starting from the first Call of Duty, back in what was it? 2002?

I think I will have to re-read Rainbow Six someday soon.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Darksider123

Way too young! RIP <3

#15 12 months ago
  16. antraxsuicide

I’m definitely buying The Division, just for support. Tom Clancy, the games bearing your name are excellent.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Pitts

Wow, only 66?

#17 12 months ago
  18. bradk825

It’s a sad day for story-telling in general. His talent made it’s way to print, film and gaming and was always top-notch.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Moonwalker1982

What was the cause of his death?

#19 12 months ago
  20. freedoms_stain

Bet they continue to pump out books with his name on them. Most of the books with his name on them were co-authored anyway. Tom Clancy is a brand more than an author these days. It’s not uncommon. Virginia Andrews has been dead since the 80′s and they’re still pumping books out with her name on them.

#20 12 months ago
  21. DSB

@20 Yeah, sadly that’s also what happened with Red Storm Entertainment. Some got “absorbed” by Ubisoft, but it was never the same as the days where you had that whole team making really serious games.

Force 21 and Shadow Watch were quite good too. Shadow Watch was basically a reduced nu-XCOM, before nu-XCOM.

I really miss those days.

#21 12 months ago
  22. Tecknologee

RIP Tom Clancy…

And you may want to look out for any trolls commenting on this article because that’s what happened to IGN and Gamespot and they had to close their thread

#22 12 months ago
  23. sebastien rivas

Extremely sad news,

I send my sympathy to his relatives and may his ideal and ideas never die!

Rest in peace, long live Tom Clancy!

#23 12 months ago