Rockstar’s Dan Houser on making another Bully: ‘I know I want to.’

Wednesday, 25th September 2013 15:25 GMT By Dave Owen

While Grand Theft Auto 5 is busy breaking records, Rockstar’s Dan Houser has commented on the possibility of making a sequel to Bully, the 2006 title set in a private school. It’s not going to happen any time soon, but it’s something Houser would love to do in the future.

The game caused a great deal of controversy upon release, but received strong reviews and sold reasonably well, if not quite to standards Rockstar has set since. Polygon asked Houser about the possibility of a follow-up.

“I know I want to,” Houser said. “Well, hopefully, you never know. There’s a lot of directions I could go with that one, it’s funny.”

When asked about the fan suggestion that Bully protagonist Jimmy Hopkins could grow up to be a GTA character, Houser was less keen.

“I never saw him as being that level of degenerate,” he said. “I saw him as a bad teen, because he comes from a tough home, who could go either direction. He’s not going to be a carjacker. He’s too white collar for that already. He’s at a shit private school, but he’s going to end up being really happy because he’s at the worst bit of his life, or being a sort of messed up white collar doofus.

“He was an unpleasant soul, but he had a heart. To some extant you could say the same was true of [Grand Theft Auto 4's] Niko in a bizarre way. But [Jimmy's] not trying to burn down the school, he’s more trying to stand up to injustice.”

Do you like the idea of a Bully sequel?

1. DSB

Bully was an original. And that alone makes it precious. Why is everything today either warfare, space warfare or crime?

Why the hell wouldn’t you make a game about a punk kid at a boarding school?

It’s brilliant, I wish we had more games like it. Outrunning an angry jock or teacher is every bit as fun as outrunning a million cops.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Dragon246

Man, this guy really knows his shit. I am sure he is laughing in his basement reading at all the free publicity GTA receives courtesy “concerned adults who hate GTA” while wading through piles of cash.

Its not bad though. No one does open-world like Rock*.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Yoshi

@2 Why would he be laughing from his basement? He probably has a pool XD

#3 10 months ago
  4. mistermogul

I’d rather have another Red Dead please Mr Houser!

#4 10 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@2 I’m sure he’s the one of the two Houser brothers who lives at Truman Capote’s house in New York. His basement is probably bigger then your whole house man ;)

#5 10 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

Just echoing the comments above really, but Bully was *so* good, and I’d love a sequel. I always thought it benefited from having a much smaller map than any other Rockstar game; I 100%ed that game and by the end of it I knew the school and the town like the back of my hand, almost like it was a home away from home.

As awesome as Los Santos is, I think I’ll always feel a bit like a lost stranger there (though that could well be intentional on R*’s part).

#6 10 months ago