Guild Wars 2 trial period extended, game goes on sale for a limited time

Tuesday, 24th September 2013 14:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ArenaNet has announced its extended its Guild Wars 2 trial period which will give player seven-days to try the MMO out starting this Friday, September 27. The game will also go on sale from that date through October 7. Players will be able to purchase the Digital Heroic Edition for £27.99 . The game is subscription fee, and you can learn more through the links as well as sign up for the trial.

1. clorex

“Sorry! The Guild Wars 2 Free Trial period has ended” is all there is on the page, besides the newsletter sign-up box.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Arcnail

starting this Friday, September 27……….

#2 7 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 What @2 said.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Arcnail

Ya.. it was probably a message from an older, and expired offer.

#4 7 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I still feel so conflicted about this one.

I enjoyed the game as a game (the jumping puzzles especially), I loved my charr character, and I had fun with the dynamic events. It also wasn’t a grindfest, which I hugely appreciated. However, the writing and the world design lets it down so much. So, so much. I think they hired most of that out to other companies, or they just did a really poor job with it. It doesn’t fit the lore at all, and it’s a disjointed mess of a thing.

But the worst part of the game? The last 30-40 per cent of the story. If you pick the Order of Shadows, you get this guy named Tybalt and his writing isn’t completely bad. In fact, he can be quite funny. Unfortunately he’s replaced for that last 30-40 per cent by a character so painfully wooden, so flat, so completely obnoxious that he’ll make you crazy. His name is Trahearne, and he’s a total Gary Stu.

He’s supposed to be a military planner, but he comes with you on every mission, and pretty much takes credit for everything you do. By the 80 per cent mark I found myself asking if I could join the dragons, and a little later I found myself wanting to assassinate Trahearne. After that, I swore never to pick it up again, because it’s the most genuinely, painfully bad writing I’ve seen. It’s as bad as WoW, and maybe worse.

Then there’s how they’re afraid to let the game be anything other than a typical fantasy world, which irritates me. The charr have so much technology yet they don’t have trains, nor roads. They distrust the asura gates, yet they have no infrastructure. There are just many things like that that make the world completely unbelievable. I could just sit on my butt here and list off all of the things which contradict each other thanks to poor world design, but frankly, I don’t have the energy for GW2 stuff any more.

So I’m conflicted.

As a game, it’s fun. If you can completely ignore the story, the setting, and the lore then you’re going to have a blast. If those things matter to you, though, then there are many, many things which will just make you angry. It genuinely makes you ask where any of the better writers and designers were when this was happening.

And whomever was responsible for Trahearne shouldn’t ever be allowed to write for the games industry again. Ever. If you have a character that’s so bad that you’re left longing to join the enemy, you’ve done something very wrong. But the worst of it is that they kill an okay character like Tybalt just to give you someone’s Gary Stu.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jeff Grubb that was responsible, because he’s pretty much pissed all over the setting with his habits. As in how he’s basically turned a race I was once able to actually appreciate (the asura from Eye of the North) into gnomes.

So yeah, it’s… I don’t know how I feel. It’s a good game, but the writing is so bad. So, so bad. I still love the game as much as I did in the closed betas, but the thing is is that the more you progress, the more you realise just how much this game has been ruined by bad writing and bad world design.

#5 7 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

I played a mesmer for a bit in this, but I could never get the rhythm of combat. It wasn’t fun, so I haven’t been back after the few weeks early on, that I tried with it – other than a brief, re-attempt at around christmas time which also felt bad. There’s just no flow to it in the least. Dashing from one checkpoint to the next, and stopping every so often to climb things. Sometimes, you’ll be interrupted by zone events… I attacked and fought all the monsters I’d encounter, but combat was a chore of dancing around, hitting things and playing keep-away. I didn’t feel able to participate offensively. It’s that close to getting uninstalled. A huge disappointment after the epic series that is Guild Wars.

#6 7 months ago
  7. roadkill

Well, I didn’t like the game too much until I met this gorgeous, funny and intelligent girl and now I’m spending 10-12 hours/day in-game with her. Suddenly the game is fun. <3

#7 7 months ago
  8. viralshag

@7, Are you sure it’s not #5 in disguise?

On topic: It was a good game but it wore thin during the first month. I found it to be extremely grindy with box-ticking list of objectives each map. Sure, quest hubs sort of disappeared but in essence the same MMO style quests and mechanics are there. Go here, do this, complete and move on.

The dynamic events are good, I’ll give them that. The jumping puzzles and exploration is fun. The WvWvW doesn’t really work as the biggest advantage for servers isn’t skill, it’s time zones.

I’ve tried a couple of times to get back into it but I simply struggle with it. Mainly due to the combat being boring and skills/talents being completely uninteresting as they’re a case of stats and percentage increases.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Gekidami

Same, the game just isnt good. The framework for a great game is there, but whats built on it is boring and lame.

#9 7 months ago
  10. roadkill

@8 Nah. :) But yeah, I agree with you. It’s boring. I mostly play it just to spend time with her. I’m slowly going to switch to playing BF4 beta soon. Though not completely.

#10 7 months ago
  11. kondler16

Pro:
    - DE are a good addition
    - Jumping puzzle are fun
    - Combat system

Cons:
    - Camera
    - Living Story bring always a lot of borign farm/zerg content (also some fun content, but they lock it behind the farm)
    - Gear treadmill

If you like playing more than one character and you wanted to be on par with other players even just logging on casual schedule this was possible, but not now, even to full equip with BiS gear 1 single character you have to grind.
    Btw at the current state of the game BiS items are not required, you can play almost all the content without them (you will just have a slight disadvantage in the www pvp).
    We don’t know anything on the future, but I will not be surprised if they will start to lock new content behind a stats/items requirement (like they already did with high level fractals).

#11 7 months ago