Xbox One won’t get a lot of “stuff” 360 has for “for a while”, admits Penello

Friday, 20th September 2013 08:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will miss out on some features Xbox 360 has had for a while now, according to Microsoft senior director of product management and planning Albert Penello.

IGN posed to Penello that Microsoft’s promise of all these great Xbox One features might be miss-selling the console to territories that won’t be receiving them, he replied, “I think even in the U.S., there’s going to be a lot of stuff that was on 360 that isn’t going to be on Xbox One for a while.

“Y’know, it’s an interesting dynamic that you find yourself in with console launches, but particularly when you’re coming from a super mature platform… in the old days of console transitions, the expectation of what would be moving to the next console was basically isolated to games. And if you think about all the stuff we’ve done with Xbox 360 and how much it’s different in the last ten years, you basically have ten years of innovation, ten years of experiences, and then, trying to take that and build an entirely new platform, with new hardware and a new software architecture.

“I mean, I totally understand people’s frustrations, and it’s hard to give an answer beyond the fact that, from my seat, it’s a console transition and this is part and parcel. There’s a lot of things that we’ll talk about in our vision for the product that aren’t going to be there at launch.”

Then came some Xbox One TV talk, which seems to be Microsoft’s ‘go-to’ topic as of late. Penello continued, “TV, if you want to continue, would be another criticism. We talk a lot about TV and that’s only going to work basically in Japan and the U.S. at launch where you have HDMI-in scenarios, so you’ll say ‘hey, what if I have a terrestrial over the air?’

“We won’t have a solution for that right away, but we still sell it as part of the vision. So it’s honest criticism and you’d love to have the new launch be everything that you had before and more, but unfortunately it’s an untenable [proposition].”

What do you think of Microsoft selling this “vision” as one complete package to territories that won’t be able to experience it for a while? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, Microsoft says that 42% of you Xbox 360 owners watch over 30 hours of video content on your console each month.

1. viralshag

MS of late have been doing nothing to make me want to keep my XB1 pre-order and it’s getting a little annoying. Even more annoying is I cancelled my PS4 pre-order (which was done after the “cut-off” point so didn’t feel too bad).

I have a feeling I’m going to go back to PS and Sony for now and let the XB1 “mature” and drop in price.

#1 10 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

It depends which bits he’s talking about I guess. Plugging in my Tivo or Sky+ box, yes, I can wait for that – it’s a new feature and I’d be okay with waiting a couple months for all that stuff to align.

Things like Lovefilm, Neflix, LastFM though…that’d piss me off. They’re the things (as confirmed elsewhere on this site) that a lot of people use every day, so to spend £430 on a new XBOX only to still have to use the old one for my favorite apps would be a harsh kick in the hairy boys.

#2 10 months ago
  3. torjs99

@viralshag

the only reason for keeping a xboner preorder is that you will not get a ps4 until april

#3 10 months ago
  4. viralshag

I can live with that. Besides, I think that’s highly unlikely that I would need to wait that long.

#4 10 months ago
  5. AngryConsumer

lovefilm, neflix, lastfm on the PS4 will be deliver right outta the box from day one. just another good reason to get the PS4 and even a better reason it got killzone the halo killer :D

#5 10 months ago
  6. super3001

xbox launch is all about the games. in that place it beats ps3.5 into the ground.

apps will come soon enough

#6 10 months ago
  7. AngryConsumer

@6 you ungrateful sod!

#7 10 months ago
  8. OmegaSlayer

I still can’t figure out how people that keeps themselves informed on gaming sites is willing to buy the XBOXOne in the first 6 months, first year.

It’s pretty clear that the console has been rushed in every single detail and Microsoft is trying to play catch up on everything.
    I’m really sure the XB1 will have big hardware problems.

As I said, if AverageJoe doesn’t imagine what’s going on with XB1 it’s OK, if DemonGamerJoe browsing gaming sites at least once a week buys an XB1…something is very wrong in his head.

Every console in its first month is prone to have a series of annoying problems, I think XB1 will set a new record.

#8 10 months ago
  9. super3001

xone has better games better controller better online better os and more features then ps3.5. xone and xbl is true next gen. ps3.5 and psn is just same old shit recycled

nobody with sense would pick sony half ass effort over xone

#9 10 months ago
  10. Hcw87

Because the chance of this happening isn’t any bigger than it happening to PS4.

If you buy a PS4 at launch, you’re just as ”dumb”. I’m getting both at launch.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

Weird. I can think of plenty reasons to buy X1 first. The launch lineup is one of them and a big one at that too.

#11 10 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@9 http://media.giphy.com/media/irHPuKSWLADm/original.gif

#12 10 months ago
  13. AngryConsumer

@11 because you have been lobotomized i guess…

#13 10 months ago
  14. _LarZen_

I just hope MS do not drop the ball for Europe like before. I can wait for some feuteres as I am getting it mainly for the games. But I gotta say the feeling that I should just stick with the PS4 is sneaking up on me just more and more.

And to the moderators on this site, please…can you enforce some of that power you have. You know who I am referring to, we do not need people like that on vg247.com

#14 10 months ago
  15. gomersoul

Xbone has not got that good a launch line up, pretty much fuck all for both consoles. It’s obvious Sony are looking better with ps4, what’s the point in trying to say otherwise

#15 10 months ago
  16. Arnvidr

I still don’t get this “PS3.5″ bullshit. WHAT is this fantastic new thing that X1 does that 360 does not that makes it so “next-gen” compared to PS4 vs PS3? So far I’ve seen absolutely nothing NEW, that doesn’t have some sort of equivalent on the rival console.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

Oh those are just words from an xbox troll, apparently having a forced kinect, a network none of public have personally experienced in full glory, pre-uturns vision, the exact same features behind a paywall and arrogant attitudes were the so called leading innovations in next gen :D

Oh well maybe next time MS can bend us over more successfully so the smaller minority get what they want…

#17 10 months ago
  18. Ge0force

Xbox 0.75

#18 10 months ago
  19. OmegaSlayer

To each his own, it’s pretty fair.
    I heard there’s some people that like to see their wives/girlfriends intercoursed with other people, their choice, like picking up an XB1.

If super3001 wants to buy himself and enjoy so much a MasterGodzillaAnalTractor who am I to say “Stahp it”.
    His friends watching him through Kinect 2.0 would miss a great show too.

I’m not that evil ^___^

#19 10 months ago
  20. Professor Zoom

First the Sony trolls complain about all download, online authentication and forced camera and now they complain about 180′s, apparently they must have something to complain about every time, so they can convince themselves that they’ve made the right purchase. One can’t expect all consoles to have the exact same price, and the exact same stuff. So far I think Microsoft have the strongest line up of games.

Let’s see:

Titanfall (game of the show)
    Halo 5
    Quantum Break
    D4
    Killer Instinct
    Fable Legends
    Ryse
    Dead Rising 3
    Sunset Overdrive
    Forza Motorsport 5
    Below
    Untitled Black Tusk Project
    Fifa and Madden (exclusive content)
    Battlefield and Call of Duty (timed exclusive content)
    Project Spark
    Kinect Sports Rivals

#20 10 months ago
  21. super3001

of course xbox has the best games lineup controller online and os/ui. everybody knows it just some cant admit it because of losing respect from rest of sdf

the one and only thing ps3.5 has going for it that is is cheap

#21 10 months ago
  22. CyberMarco

All I have to say to the “fools” that are going day-1 with any console, be it XB1/PS4/WiiU etc. is this:

#22 10 months ago
  23. Jmc

#20 Only 4 of the exclusives you listed are coming out soon, the rest won’t be here until end of 2014 & possibly 2015.

PS4 has 30 exclusives (only on PlayStation, not PC too) (twice as many as you’ve listed) releasing in the first year alone.

Also, mass PC devs migration to PS4 (there are already like 50 PC games coming to PS4 while only around 10 PC games coming to X1).

And have you forgotten about exclusive PS content for AC4 Black Flag and Destiny.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Djoenz

Dumb xbots have to mention Sony and Sony fanboys need to mention freaking Xbox one.

You are all retards if you preorder,buy at launch or within the first 1-2 years of its lifespan.

Some people never learn. Keep making excuses for yourself, but dont cry like a bitch afterwards.

Being a hardcore gamer isnt exactly something to be proud of, unless you make a living out of it.

#24 10 months ago
  25. CyberMarco

Personally that’s a good thing for me, as a patient gamer, leave all those “suckers” buy the product and let them find out all the flaws and problems for you. Then you can buy it cheaper and with more confidence!

#25 10 months ago
  26. Professor Zoom

#23 Interesting, post that PS4 list then, and not all PS consoles together, because PS4 isn’t backward compatible and I didn’t post the Xbox 360 list either. Those for Xbox One are announced, and that’s important, people wanna know what they’re gonna be playing, if you don’t announce anything then you don’t know what you are gonna be playing on your system.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Jmc

#26 You want a list of PS4 exclusives without any mention of other “ONLY ON PLAYSTATION” games? Then why half of your xbox one game list is on PC, X360, PS3 and PS4? Look:

Titanfall is better on PC and No need for a $60/year Gold membership to play it on PC.

Fable Legends Will be better on PC

Ryse, a 4 year game originally planed for x360, canceled due to Kinect not able to handle it, Xbox One Kinect gameplay also canceled, now it is a button masher for a $500 console. If Kinect gameplay was scratched, then why not release it on x360 as originally planed? x360 can mash buttons just fine.

Below, will be on x360 and Playstation.

Fifa and Madden (exclusive content), Do you even know what this extra content is? 95% of gamers will not even look at it and will only play the main game.

Battlefield and Call of Duty (timed exclusive content) I can wait a week for the same DLC on PS. The games are not timed exclusives, they will release before X1 is even out.

Project Spark on x360 and PC

Kinect Sports Rivals, barely rivals a PS2 eyetoy game.

Halo 5, I’ve played Halo3, ODST, Reach, 10th Aniv Ed and Halo 4 on x360. I don’t want another halo game that’s like any of the above. It will have to be out of this world.

The PlayStation echosystem will have more exclusives. The PS4 alone will have more exclusives than X1 just as PS3 has more than x360.

Again, only 4 of the games on your list will be available on X1 soon enough. 30 PS4 exclusives (in the first year) will not be seen on PC or x360.

#27 10 months ago
  28. mistermogul

After being with Xbox from the beginning 10 years ago, I can safely say I am 100% happy with my decision to go PS4 next gen.

MS worked hard to lose my custom but they managed it and for me their exclusives don’t interest me as much as Sony’s franchises.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Professor Zoom

#27 Again, where is your evidence for 30 PS4 exlusives within 2013? I’ve only heard about 3 or 4 PS4 exlusives, while the Xbox One will get 15 exclusives, while 7 of which are brand new franchises.

#29 10 months ago
  30. fearmonkey

Of course the Xbox One won’t have everything the 360 has right away, it’s taken years to get the 360 where it is now, so bringing everything else over will take time. Hardly a reason to get upset or hold back on buying one.

Xbox One will have Halo, Fable, possibly Gears, and all the Kinect titles you can ever dream of playing. I will be buying one eventually for Halo and Fable.

PS4 will have Infamous, Uncharted, Killzone, etc and I am more excited about those as I never played any of them since I have only owned Xbox’s till this next gen.

The PC is going to get Project Spark, Titanfall, Battlefield, COD, etc and those will be where I would play those titles.

What I am most excited about are games not even announced yet, the games that really start taking advantage of the new hardware. Xbox Had Halo2 which looked amazing late in its life, The 360 had Halo 4 which looked amazing, PS3 has the last of us which looks amazing, so i am looking forward to those type of titles. I can’t wait to see what the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles will be like, and RPG games in that ilk.

#30 10 months ago
  31. Jmc

#29 No one claimed that in 2013 which is only a month a half from release to end of 2013, that there will be 30 exclusives (you just made that up). Xbox 1 will not have 15 exclusives in 2013 either (it will take until 2015 to see that many (probably in its life time). In 2013, as I’ve stated, there will be only 4 Xbox One exclusives.

Anyway, Here are some PS4 exclusives:

Games with PS exclusive gameplay (not found on any xbox):
    AC4 Black Flag (Exclusive Gameplay) + Controller Touchpad support
    Destiny (Exclusive Gameplay/content)
    Watch Dogs (Exclusive Gameplay/content)

AND:

N++
    Guilty Gear
    Rime
    Dream Club
    Switch Galaxy Ultra
    Velocity 2X

And you know these exclusives may be on their way (that’s just 13 out of a ton of Playstation exclusive brands):
    Uncharted 4
    God of War
    The last of us 2
    Resistance 4
    MotorStorm
    Starhawk 2
    Socom 5
    Twisted Metal
    Sports Champion
    The Fight 2
    Sly Cooper
    or Jack&Daxter
    or Ratchet&Clank

Also, PC games coming to console:
    PS4: 42 games
    Xbox One: only 7 games (3 of the 7, you listed as X1 exclusives)

#31 10 months ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

You’ve done the same as him but on slightly worse level. Hypothetical games and some oddballs.

Some of those games are coming to other PlayStation Platforms (PS Vita/PS3). But it is interesting how people will disregard other platforms in favour of Exclusive to Xbox One And PS4: Titanfall and Yakuza Ishin isn’t exclusive to PS4/One Deal With It.

#32 10 months ago