Rockstar doesn’t see another Grand Theft Auto taking place in London, is interested in next-gen tech

Thursday, 19th September 2013 22:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rockstar’s Dan Houser has said the team is interested in next-gen systems, as far as coming up with ideas on how the tech can be used, but right now it’s not thinking of Grand Theft Auto 6 and it’s doubtful the games will ever return to London.

Speaking with the Guardian, Houser said that while GTA London was “cool for a time,” but limited as well.

“These days I think we would love to set a game in the UK, set in London, whatever, but I don’t know if it would be a GTA game,” he said. “I think there are plenty of great stories we could tell about the UK, great environments to showcase, great gameplay mechanics that could have a UK bent to them – I just don’t think it would be a GTA necessarily.

“There are so many games we’d like to make that we just don’t have the bandwidth to make at the moment. But we always think, well the future is long and varied, and that’s what the future’s for. Speaking for myself – and normally I’d be as militant about saying ‘we’ as much as possible, because it certainly isn’t only me at all, thank god – but my own personal feeling is that GTA is America.

“With this game, I think, we’re very happy with the location. It let us do something iconic.”

Plus, with GTA 5 releasing at the end of a console cycle, the team is already thinking about what it plans to do next, but it’s not thinking about what the next iteration of the franchise will look like on the new systems.

“Of course we’re interested, but no, not in terms of GTA, because we’re always working on the current game,” Houser said. “e look at the tech at a more practical level: what will be ready for which game that we’re working on further down the line. We don’t have another GTA in development, we don’t work on three of these games at a time. That would be phenomenally depressing.

“So, in terms of GTA, no. We get pitched by the hardware manufacturers on what they’re planning to do and our tech guys come up with ideas on how that could be used. Does this influence design decisions? Of course. But we’re not sat there fantasizing about 10 years down the line. We’re so busy with what we’re doing right now.”

GTA 5 launched Tuesday and according to internal Take-Two estimates, sell-through on both platforms in Europe and North America have hit around $800 million.

1. mreko3230

I have to agree. GTA is just something that only feels right being set in America. Changing the location to the UK would be like a Doctor Who series set in Chicago. It just doesn’t feel right. Wouldn’t mind seeing something along the lines of “The Getaway” though.

#1 1 year ago
  2. hives

They don’t need to go outside USA. I guess next GTA will be either in Vice City or maybe they will come up with some new city and time period? Who knows.

#2 1 year ago
  3. diego-rbb-93

Exactly for this arguments, its for what I dont get why Sony killed The Getaway franchise.

It could have become their own GTA with some changes. Instead they chose Infamous as new great sandbox but… I wish they really bring something in the future.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

Say what? GTA is American? You guys are some cretin ass motherfuckers.

The London episodes were some of the best in the franchise.

#4 1 year ago
  5. absolutezero

JASON STATHAM.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

Wow, the writing really hasn’t changed at all has it?

#6 1 year ago
  7. gswat85

Just think of how big the next gta map will be with next gen consoles

#7 1 year ago
  8. DarkElfa

None of the Cities are real, why does it matter where it’s set? Set it in South Korea next with insurgent missions into the North.

#8 1 year ago
  9. datass

Nobody wants even gloomier GTA game than GTA IV was…What’s so special about London? Awful people, awful weather, shitty taxi cars etc…Plus British are so uninteresting that even making fun of them in game wouldn’t be interesting

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

Maybe not London, but somewhere else? I think England isn’t such a bad setting at all.

GTA in America isn’t interesting anymore. I can see most of the jokes a mile away. I think there was only one thing in this game that made me laugh real hard and that was the trailer to a post apocalyptic film. The other jokes are so over the top that it’s get annoying.

I just don’t care about Los Santos. With all it’s details, it’s size and its people, it still felt kind of empty and shallow, like it’s people.

And the story is garbage. I think we should be able to say it for once. GTA stories always have been, but this one is so lose and out of focus that I had to force myself to finish it.

I think it’s time to move on. Leave Liberty City and San Andreas behind. Go somewhere new.

#10 1 year ago
  11. PEYJ

Its not my series – but when was it ever in London?

#11 1 year ago
  12. spoffle

Grand theft auto is an American term, so it’s no surprise really.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TrickyAudio

It’s always going to work best in America – it’s a massive piss take on American life and the people in it which is the funniest part.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Talkar

Thank you, GTA London is competing for being the worst GTA of all time with GTA IV as its competitor in my mind.

#14 1 year ago
  15. sonny

it does matter because:

LibertyCity is based on New York City.
    Vice City is based on Miami, Florida.
    San Andreas is based on the West Coast.

In parts the cities are really close to their real life counterparts:

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gheritt White

The next GTA will be set in Vice City, *blates*.

#16 1 year ago
  17. hypeb147

@10 ok how about this…the next GTA set on the fictional Caribbean island of Bahados (Mash between Barbados, Haiti, and the Bahamas) and features voices of entertainers of Caribbean descent (ie Rihanna, Wyclef, etc.)!! Me and my friends always thought about that and how coo it could be.

#17 1 year ago
  18. nikk900

They started working on the next GTA game 4 weeks after they finished up GTAV. From what I know they are debating on an international game.

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@18: And you are?

#19 1 year ago
  20. nikk900

@19 I’m nikk900.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Native Chief

RockStar games should make united states map in the next GTA. they should also make were you can be a police officer in the game not only for PC but PS3 & Xbox360 as well.

#21 9 months ago
  22. fihar

Honolulu, or somewhere in Alaska.
    Still in America but isn’t in America.

#22 9 months ago