Rockstar advises owners of GTA V on Xbox 360 not to install the “play” disc

Monday, 16th September 2013 15:45 GMT By Sherif Saed

Rockstar has advised a fan on Twitter not to install the “play” disc of the game.

GTA V ships on two discs on Xbox 360, the first of which, the “install” disc, is the only one required to be installed. The installation weighs in at just over 7GB. Some fans were expecting to also install the second disc for better performance, but apparently that’s not the case.

The publisher said to expect more details at launch.

GTA V finally launches tomorrow on Xbox 360 and PS3, be sure check all the review scores here.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Sethos

I believe it was Halo 3 that also had a performance / load impact if you installed the disc.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sherif Saed

@1, Yeah.

Good streams btw :P

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sethos

@2 Haha, thanks

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kuwabara

by installing the second disk , the graphical improvements causes they game to run at a bad frame rate.

#4 1 year ago
  5. pukem0n

i mainly install games so they dont run around in the drive all the time…

#5 1 year ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

Fucking shit! One of the major reason I’ve pre-ordered the 360 version was to do a full install. Why they tell us this when it’s too late…

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

Told you so.

There’s a reason they’ve been demoing it on the PS3.

#7 1 year ago
  8. AngryConsumer

so its already broken on the xbox… why dont the reviewers say anything about it??… they all gave it 10 or 100 or whatever best score. not a word was said about this.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Sanwiches

shut up angry consumer, didnt you read the goddamn thing? It’s not broken if it works

#9 1 year ago
  10. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Sony make.believe

#10 1 year ago
  11. Sethos

#8 Are you that retarded or is it an act?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

You’re going to be so disappointed by the Digital Foundry test tomorrow.

#12 1 year ago
  13. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#12

frames are better on PS3 i have both of them here

#13 1 year ago
  14. Hcw87

I don’t trust the opinion of ps3fanboy/angryconsumer.

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Don’t you have to install on the PS3 anway?

I’m going for 360 because: pad / online

#15 1 year ago
  16. gomersoul

This is why I bought mine from psn, it’s ready to rock at midnight and at 49.99 it’s a surprisingly low price, even better when you gameshare and pay half :-)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Hcw87

PSN is the version that may have issues, since that’s installed to HD by default.

#17 1 year ago
  18. II-WAR-STEINER-II

# 16

I got it by amazon for 39

SPOILER

#18 1 year ago
  19. Mike W

Give it a rest bro, you come in here entirely to much defending MS products. It sounds like you are going to get the 360 version of this game anyway, so why do you even care how the PS3 version looks or performs?

Please grow the fuck up, you talk about ps3fanboy, but you’re no different than him/her.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

””GTA5 isn’t available for digital delivery on Xbox Live, but we are curious what the impact – if any – will be on the PS3 version, as that is available as a PSN download. The Digital Foundry Face-Off – due tomorrow morning at 11am – is based on comparison of the two retail disc versions of the game.””

Just quoting Eurogamer, and i didn’t say the PSN version looked any worse or better than the Xbox version.

Don’t get your panties in a bunch.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Cobra951

Hmm. I’m holding off buying GTA V until this issue is resolved. I don’t spin the DVD disc to play anything on the 360 anymore. I can’t even conceive of letting the thing grind, vibrate and make noise for hours-long play sessions. I haven’t suffered through that old problem for years.

Perhaps it can be installed to another storage device, such as a USB stick? That would mean I need to buy one large enough to hold the play-disc image. Makes playing it that much more expensive. I have my hands full with other games right now anyway. Time to wait and see.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

”The video, below, shows footage of the game played with the “install disc” installed to the Xbox 360 hard drive, as is mandatory, and the “play disc” installed to a USB flash drive. Doing so appears to eradicate the performance issues found when both discs are installed to the Xbox 360 hard drive.”

Yes, installing to USB seems to work fine.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Cobra951

@22: Thanks. I figured it was an issue with performance improving if the data is streamed from 2 separate devices, rather than all from the HDD. Same was true with one of the Halos (I forget which). So I guess now I need to buy both the game AND an 8- or 16-GB stick (depending on how big the play disc is, and how much user space the stick actually has). Ouch! Gonna be expensive, but still essential.

Edit: 16GB stick. The play disc is 7.8, and no way in hell will the Xbox give me that much on a supposedly 8GB stick. Damn.

#23 1 year ago