Apple announces iPhone 5C and 5S, Infinity Blade 3 announced – out September 20

Tuesday, 10th September 2013 18:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Tim Cook CEO of Apple announced today during the company’s iPhone event the firm would release iOS 7 later this month for free.

Cook said during October the firm would ship its 700 millionth iOS device, stating iOS 7 would “quickly become the world’s most popular operating system.”

Craig Federighi came on stage to state that with it, Siri has been improved and shows some of the latest tweets, and you will be able to choose a male voice for the program instead.

iOS 7 will be free starting September 18th for iPhone 4+, iPad 2+, iPad mini, and 5th-gen iPod touch will all get iOS 7.

Phil Schiller took the stage to discuss the two new iPhones designs as well as announced the iPhone 5C which comes in green, yellow, blue, white and red.

Comes with a 4-inch retina display, integrated touch, full sRGB, widescreen video and more.

On the hardware end, the iPhone 5C’s innards are similar to iPhone 5 as it contains an Apple A6 processor and an 8-megapixel rear facing camera.

Price wise, the 16 GB is $99, and the 32GB is $199 with a two year contract. The UK prices are: 16GB -£469, 32GB -£549.

Along with the more economical version, the firm also announced the iPhone 5S which comes with Touch ID and in black, gold and silver as previously outed.

The sensor is 170 microns thin, has 500 ppi resolution, scans “sub-epidermal skin layers”, can read multiple fingerprints and has 360-degree readability all inside the Home button, and can authenticate purchases from the App Store, according to the live blog.

It contains the A7 chip, with 64-bit architecture and contains 10 hours of LTE browsing, 40 hours music playback, 10 hours of 3G talk time, and 250 hours standby.

The iPhone 5S starts at $199 for a 16GB model with a two-year contract. The 32Gb model is $299, and the 64GB model is $399. In the UK it will run you 16GB – £549; 32GB -£629; and 64GB – £709.

Both phones will be released in the US and the UK on September 20 as well as Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, and Singapore. By December 2013, it will be available in more than 100 countries.

Infinity Blade 3 was announced by Epic Games and Chair Entertainment at the event. Chair’s Donald Mustard came on stage to state that the game is the conclusion to the trilogy and contains up to eight worlds each of which are as big or bigger than the entire first game.

You can also play as two characters and according to Mustard there’s a new boss “that eats the old boss for lunch.”

It will be made available alongside the iPhone 5S.

Post being updated as news happens…

Via Engadget live blog.

1. CyberMarco

From DTOID:

“A new home button ditches the little square graphic and adds a fingerprint sensor. The 5S does away with pass codes, replacing them with Touch ID. It scans at 500 ppi resolution, getting down to even sub-epidermal skin layers. You can use this to not only log in, but also to authenticate for iTunes purchases. It also gets us past touching or swiping to unlock the phone.”

Seriously, do we even need this shit? What’s next? An implant-chip directly connected to our brains so we can be Applebots 24/7?

But nevermind, keep giving them more access to your privacy and personal life.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Supposedly your print isn’t stored on the apple servers or in the cloud but in the same way your print is stores on a laptop.

#2 7 months ago
  3. GrimRita

Predictable pitch from a company bang out of ideas. Long live Android! :)

#3 7 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

@Steph, probably it’s like that, but you never know if they can spoof that information. Like everything you say at Syri is recorded to Apple’s archive.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 I am hoping it’s not a “forced thing” I haven’t heard otherwise just yet. Not that I am getting one that I know of so I dunno why I said “hope”. Prob just because. Ignore me. :p

#5 7 months ago
  6. mr_krunchi

@1, it’s a more useful feature than Android’s face detection unlock. That thing just sucks ass. And of course we don’t need it, but some people will find it more useful than others. Also, it’s obviously optional, so people aren’t required to use it. I think it’s nifty.

@3, lol…I like both mobile platforms, but Android is definitely running out of ideas by providers (ex: Nexus 7 vs. Nexus 7 2nd Gen; Note 2 vs. Note 3; Moto RAZR vs. Moto X; HTC One X vs. HTC One). All they offer now is bigger screen sizes and faster processors, but feature-wise, it’s all very similar or contains gimmick features.

#6 7 months ago
  7. _LarZen_

iOS 7 color palette is something I could see Mimi from The Drew Carey Show could pick out.

Her she is: http://the-drew-carey-show.edogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/drew-carey.jpg

Other then that it’s nice with a cheaper iPhone but I found both of them to be frankly boring. There is nothing with them crying out buy me! And right now!

No new iPad, no new AppleTv and no watch.

Samsung is running over Apple and this is coming from a pretty hardcore Apple fan. I am considering getting changing to a Android phone after this…because this is just getting pathetic. And I am in no way sticking with Apple to be loyal or anything…I want new good products.

And Apple is losing their appeal fast now.

#7 7 months ago
  8. CyberMarco

Also a plastic case for the new iphone 5C for 29$? What a rip-off!!!

#8 7 months ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

@7 I am going to look at the Galaxy phones myself when I head to the Sprint store later this month. My contract is up, so I will be looking at that and the iPhone as well. I am a bit unsure of a Samsung phone after the fiasco (re: piece of shit) that was the Instinct (“THE IPHONE KILLER” – [yeah right]) and while I like my HTC EVO 4G 3D (I got it for the processor, have NEVER ONCE used 3D) after two years it’s getting glitchy and locks up all the time (and I baby my phones, I really do).

So, I am just going to have to get my hands on both and see which I like better. I heard the Galaxy is rather large and meant for “women’s purses” and not a man’s pocket though :P

#9 7 months ago
  10. thesnowman

@1 I have to put a 6 digit passcode on my 4s as I get my work emails to it, and I am super happy that they have the fingerprint scanner on it. Having to punch in the code 10-20 times a day gets annoying.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Keivz

Am I mistaken or don’t they usually let the previous gen iphone (iphone 5 in this case) occupy the price point of what the 5c is doing? I suspect the 5 is too expensive to manufacture to justify selling it at the 5c prices, so it’ll just be phased out.

#11 7 months ago