Battlefield 4 PC System requirements released by DICE, recommends Windows 8

Monday, 9th September 2013 23:31 GMT By Ewan Miller

DICE have released the final system requirements for Battlefield 4 and as usual, the recommended specifications will do nothing but make you sad. Quad-core CPU, a 660 GTX or higher and the x64 build of Windows 8 are just of the not so modest impositions DICE is prepared to make. Check the full list out after the break.

Aside from explicitly not recommending Windows 7, the specifications look pretty standard to me, although I’d always subscribed to the “no real program uses more than 4GB of RAM” adage. Perhaps it’s time for the enthusiast machine to go up to 8.

The minimum specifications are surprisingly lenient, allowing you to run the game on the workhorse of this generation, the 8800GT. I wonder if that’s something they consciously spec for given the install base. I can’t imagine the game looks great on 512mb of vRAM though.

What machine are you planning to run Battlefield 4 on and what settings are you hoping for 60 frames on? Let us know in the comments below.

Image via the Battlefield Twitter.

1. pcbros

The recommended specs are identical to the PC I was going to build :)

– AMD FX-6300 (Six-Core)
    – 8GB RAM
    – EVGA GTX660
    – 1TB HDD
    – Windows 8 64-bit

#1 11 months ago
  2. Tech-N9ne

Nice! Looking to generate some web traffic I see.

“Aside from requiring Windows 8″ requiring how?

Edit: article has now been changed to “Aside from explicitly not recommending Windows 7″ LOL

What are you a troll Ewan? So you now know better than DICE what runs their game best?

#2 11 months ago
  3. JewyMcJew

pcbros, I’m curious. How much would your system cost to build?

#3 11 months ago
  4. Ewan Miller

@2 Yeah that was a terrible word to use and not what I meant at all. Sorry about that, I’ve edited to hopefully convey my surprise that Windows 7 is being left out. Sorry for the confusion.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Erthazus

Yeah. MY PC is already more powerfull by x2 so i’m ready for my 60+ frames per second juice with high end graphics and not some of this “Next Generation of fad”:

P.S. but I don’t have Windows 8 and not planning to buy it even for This game or any other game. Period. Windows 8 sucked balls and will continue to do so until the next revision of Windows. End of story.

#5 11 months ago
  6. DarkElfa

I wonder how much Microsoft paid them to flog Windows 8 as the recommended OS for this.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Chief Thunder

I highly doubt any current single chip graphics card will be able to run this at 60 fps in 1080p with all eye candy turned on…660? no way! 60fps is kinda slow anyways…

#7 11 months ago
  8. pcbros

@3 – If you shop at Newegg.com, you can get it for around $700 (maybe cheaper if you wait for some sales). Also, you get Batman Origins for free (comes with a GTX660). So you are essentially paying around $650 ;)

@5 – Have you tried Windows 8? I was put off at first but I’ve been using it for a few months now and I like it. It definitely shines on touchscreens but I still think it works for desktops.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Pytox

@6 it;s cause of Dx 11.1 prolly cause it;s only on win8

#9 11 months ago
  10. pcbros

@7 – lol… 60fps is kind of slow? Your eye can’t even notice anything after 60fps.

You won’t be able to run BF4 (Highest settings) @ 60fps on a GTX660. If BF3 is an indicator, then we are looking at close to 30-40fps. But then again, you won’t be able to do that on an XB1 or PS4 neither.

Now if you go for something like a GTX780, then it will eat BF4 for breakfast.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Chief Thunder

@10 so I’m guessing you haven’t played games on a 120Hz+ screen? and your eyes are not limited to a certain amount of ‘fps’ lol… you can go as far as your brain allows you to…

#11 11 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

So windows 8 is recommended but not necessary?

#12 11 months ago
  13. dexfx69

Ha! Windows 8 has NO advantages to run ANY game. Microsoft must have paid the devs a tidy sum to get them to recommend Windows 8. Yet another reason to dislike Microsoft.

#13 11 months ago
  14. solid71

Well I will hope to get 60fps with a
    AMD FX8350 (8 core)
    16 gigs of ram
    windows 8 pro
    2 GTX 660TIs in SLI
    and well over 4TB of HD space

#14 11 months ago
  15. ChandlerL

Wait so.. BF4 PC is NOT 64-bit? Guess they need less than 2 GB given the minimum requirement. Battlefield 3.1. ;)

Didn’t DICE say that Frostbite 3 would be 64-bit? :shrug:

One could almost say that the installed PC base is now holding back the 64-bit consoles. :D

#15 11 months ago
  16. mark6IKX

Well prepared for this, my PC was built 2 months ago with BF4 in mind

AMD FX 8350 (8core)
    16GB Ram
    Windows 8
    3TB of HD
    and a AMD Radeon HD 7950

This game will decide for me whether it’s time to crossfire, i want at least 40fps on ultra. I’m just hoping!

I also have 150gb free on my SSD out of 240, do you guys reckon it be worthwhile installing on there? Or do you think it will become too much with all the updates and dlc.. Thanks

#16 11 months ago
  17. traumadisaster

Most important spec for me is vertical sync. Some games can run wonderful with no vsync and allows greater than 30 fps on my 30hz restricted tv. With no need for AA at 4k resolution one titan is enough. Ive actually got used to 30fps same as you get used to 120. If I drop down to 1080 though the tvs hz does do 120 which is nice but not as naw dropping as 3840×2160.

#17 11 months ago
  18. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Sorry Dudes i don’t like that Origin and i dont’t want the NSA App…

#18 11 months ago
  19. Phoenixblight

NSA is involved with anything internet related. You would be a fool to think otherwise.

#19 11 months ago
  20. II-WAR-STEINER-II

I know i know… It was quiet irony… But Origin is a great tool to play with the NSA App..

#20 11 months ago
  21. Playmaker

Derp derp m$ft paid them whhaaaa!!!!

You sound like idiots. Sorry but the business relationship doesn’t work that way dumbasses. Win8 is the future. Actually 8.1. Get over it douche69. And enjoy it on your laptop!!!

#21 11 months ago
  22. cartina

The devs already said why, just because you asshats doesn’t like the “metro” UI doesn’t mean windows 7 is the ultimate, never to be beaten OS.

This is why Windows 8 is recommended:
    “We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1. This will be in BF4.”
    -Johan Andersson, Technical Director on Frostbite at DICE

#22 11 months ago
  23. Llewelyn_MT

Any PC capable of running BF4 is 64-bit, unless the owner was stupid enough to install a 32-bit system on it. At least it will have a 64-bit executable this time around (why else would they recommend 8 GB RAM?).

#23 11 months ago
  24. cluggy89

@15, where from that did you get that there isnt 64bit play here, it says the complete opposite

#24 11 months ago
  25. EVO V

I should be ok.

i7 2600k @4.7ghz
    8gb corsair vengance
    Asus 660ti 2gb
    Win 7 64bit :p

#25 11 months ago
  26. lubu

your good to go, you gpu is 10% better than gpu they recommend

win8 is good for this game becuase of DX11.1 for cpu performance boost in this game but win8.1 is better and compatible win it too.

#26 11 months ago
  27. aseddon130

thats it mate, you fuel the fire by adding the ‘Windows 8′ comment.

You should know people like to bash Win8 because its cool to and not because there is a justifiable reason to bash it.

#27 11 months ago
  28. silkvg247

I wonder how much MS paid them to put 8 instead of 7.

It’ll likely run faster on 7. Just saying.

Won’t be buying it anyway.

@28 I think the fact it benches slower on some games does make the bashing somewhat justifiable personally.

#28 11 months ago
  29. CyberMarco

I managed to get 90-100 even 100+ fps @1280×1014 and around 70-80+ fps @1920×1080 with everything maxed out in BF3 with my PC.

i7 950 stock
    6Gb Ram
    GTX 480 stock
    Win 7 Pro 64-bit

So I hope I’ll have some decent quality, at least a high+.

#29 11 months ago
  30. cluggy89

um isnt it win 8 because no other ones have DX 11.1? got nothing to do with MS giving them moneys

#30 11 months ago
  31. lubu

how stupid people can get ? it’s easy just read these comments: @29 @13 @6 play with your consoles kids.

#31 11 months ago
  32. CPC_RedDawn

You guys are idiots.

Recommended specs mean nothing when it comes to maxing a game out. These specs are given as an indication to what will give playable frame rates.

Read this Q&A from DICE developer:

Repi:

Q: Is windows 8 recommended due to directx 11.1?

A: Correct! we have some good CPU optimizations that Microsoft implemented in DX11.1 on our request

Q: Than you also need a Graphic card that is DirectX 11.1 optimized. Which cost a bit more…

A: Actually no, the DX 11.1 CPU optimizations works on standard DX11 GPUs as it is in software

Q: Can you lighten us why Bf 4 requires “only” 32-bit OS?

A: We manged to scale down the requirements to 32-bit without sacrificing anything for our 64-bit version

Q: recommended means Ultra ?

A: Nope. Ultra requires significantly more powerful GPU, at least at high resolutions & with MSAA

#32 11 months ago
  33. gralphr

Im running the folowwing:

AMD 1100T oveclocked to 3.8
    16Gb ddr3
    AMD 7970 3gb Gpu
    1.5tb Hdd

I want to go intel next build, but I think this should last me awhile. I still wonder if the CPU bottlenecks the GPU though……

#33 10 months ago
  34. Christopher Jack

It recommends the 7870, I have the 7850. Maybe it’s a sign that I should crossfire it sooner rather than later. I should get similar performance to a 7970GHz or GTX680, maybe even a slightly better frame rate in many games. Then again frame lag is another factor.

Ah screw it, whenever I have some spare cash I’ll grab a second, paid $135AUD for the 2GB Sapphire 7850, if I can find another for that price I’d end up with similar performance to last gen’s best costing 33% less.

#34 10 months ago
  35. smartalves

Erthazus,
    Windows 8.1 is the next iteration of Windows without that creepy windows tiles, so you get start button again. it be released in October before the lauch of bf4.
    Win 8.1 as directx 11.1 extensions that frostbite 3 uses but no graphics card today support those (ATI maybe??).

#35 10 months ago
  36. bjoggi24

I got…
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 – I think it’s only 1 GB
    Intel Core i5-2400 – 3.10 Ghz
    8 GB RAM

I know I probably need to upgrade my GPU… What should I buy?
    Do I need a better CPU?

#36 10 months ago
  37. LinkDNBUK

Yes Yes just pre-ordered.

going to be running this on:

Win 7 ultimate
    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.2 Ghz
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz DDR3
    VTX3D Radeon 7870 X-Edition [clocked to 1Ghz]
    GPU has 2GB GDDR5
    1.5 Tb HD Space

I dont see many sound buffs though, surely the sound adds to the experience?

Audio wise :

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface
    2x KRK Rokit 8 G2

with the sound set to “WARTAPES” [this is a must by the way, try it !! :D]

@ bjoggi24, you can pick up a 7870 for around 150£ sterling these days, Id suggest grabbing one of those if your budget allows it, it has 2GB GDDR5 on it.

With this current setup i can play bf3 on Ultra with everything up to max, getting around 50 – 60 fps solid on Conquest, on a TDM map i get 70 – 80 fps solid.

Hope this helps.

Origin – LinkDNBUK

#37 10 months ago
  38. seanomono

Will I be able to play BF4 on Ultra?

Motherboard – Intel i7 3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    Proccessor – Quadcore
    RAM – 8GB 1600mhz
    GPU- CHOOSING BE BETWEEN- EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit OR EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5

Help me on the graphics card situation if you can. Having a hard time choosing.

#38 10 months ago
  39. LinkDNBUK

blatantly you should get the 4gb edition if your budget allows it :)

#39 10 months ago