Gaikai’s PS4 launch window uncertain in Europe due to broadband concerns

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 08:27 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 is billed to provide a back catalogue of streamed PSone, PS2 and PS3 titles courtesy of Gaikai at some point down in 2014, however, the service’s European launch could face delays due to concerns over the territory’s broadband capability.

Speaking with Edge, SCEE president and CEO Jim Ryan explained, “The plan is to begin with North America next year and the plan is to provide a streaming service that will allow for PS3 content initially to be streamed to firstly PS4 then PS Vita and then PS3.

“And so that will happen in 2014 in North America initially. Now, and I touched upon these issues of broadband in Europe during the presentation – Europe is of course on the roadmap for that service to be deployed at some point in the future, but for reasons outside of our control we don’t yet have a timeline for it.”

Ryan confirmed that these issues are why Sony didn’t discuss Gaikai at its pre-gamescom conference last month. He explained, “At a show which is now pretty global in its reach but primarily aimed at a European audience, we didn’t really want to start talking about the virtues of this great cloud-based service without knowing exactly when it’ll come to Europe, We’ve got a roadmap, there’s just a few bumps along the road that need to be ironed out.”

Gaikai is a cloud-based streaming service that will provide access to Sony’s back catalogue, as well as powering certain elements of the PS4 hardware from a distance. The service will likely be discussed in greater detail next year.

Are you keen to learn more about how Gaikai will work with PS4? Let us know below.

Via CVG.

1. Bashtee

Fuck yes, I really want to see how this will actually work. 100mbit downstream,10 up. My body is ready.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Beukwama

There must be something else behind the European delay that broadband speeds. http://www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/

#2 1 year ago
  3. MFBB

I wonder if that will work out.

Latency will be a huge issue for many people.

Especially in all FPS games.

I got a 5-20ms latency for everything with normal cable internet but most people dont.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Christopher Jack

Looks like it won’t be hitting down under til early 2020s. No ISP can be fucked deploying fibre so now we’re relying on our government to do so :S

#4 1 year ago
  5. Goffee

And yet Sony signed a deal with Virgin as a broadband partner, so it knows where the speeds are good. Why not release the service via those partners first and roll out later where available? aka I want my Gaikai now dammit!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 my Virgin broadband is a pile of wank. Inconsistent, weak hub range. Not happy with it at all.

Also, I want Gaikai now too dammit! :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

Total opposite for me, Virgin has been great from the get go. On their highest speed and I’ve never had any real issues, I can’t even remember the last time it had any major down time.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 I think it’s interference from something else. I find switching the hub’s channel will help for a while before problems start again :(

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

@Dave, are you using wireless? I have the hub located downstairs next to my main TV and then I have one of those plug network adapter things that runs the network through the power lines to my room. There it’s connected to a network switch which connects my PC, 360, TV and my PS3 when I had it.

Might be why I don’t have too many problems.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Fin

What speed you get through the plug thing?

My Virgin’s 120mb, but I only get 11mb/sec+ when I’m within about a foot of the router. In my room (~20ft from router), it drops off to like 5-6mb/sec.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

Yeah Virgin Cable here too and it’s great. Where did Gaikai have big server centres before? Were they mainly US based? Think the delay may be on their side in setting things up and ensuring good connections to ISPs around Europe from their side too.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

What device? Sounds like it might be more limited by that than the router. Though like you I get fairly low wireless performance compared to wired. Wired all the way if I can.

#12 1 year ago
  13. viralshag

@10, When I speedtest at about 7pm I get around 30mb, after 9-10pm and during the day (off peak basically) anything from 30-70mb.

That’s based on memory of testing some time ago though, just for you I’ll have a go tonight and let you know. ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

I’m surprised they are even talking about Gaikai?

I didn’t expect it till at least a year in to the PS4′s life. Maybe something to demo at next years E3.

I will be very surprised if they can stream something like Uncharted 3 at the same quality as I can play it directly on my PS3 though.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Fin

It’s a laptop with 802.11n – can’t remember if I’ve the router set to n or g/n mixed though. I’ll have a look later.

Is that through the plug thing? What speed is your line?

#15 1 year ago
  16. viralshag

@15, That’s through the plug thing from my PC. I’ve got the 100mb currently, I think, it’s either due or been upraged to the 120mb but I’m not sure.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

Have you tried connecting the laptop wired? See what speeds you get then?

I have 60Mb/s and wired speed tests come out 56-60Mb/s so I’m pretty pleased with that. Live download speeds tend to be 40Mb/s consistent and PSN 30-40Mb/s a little less consistently.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Fin

Sweet, 70% of the speed is better than I was expecting.

Yeah through wired it’s fine, it’s just an issue with the range of the router.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DrDamn

Possibly interference – are there a lot of wireless networks in your area? Tried changing the channel it uses?

Alternatively when I reported wireless performance problems to VM when I had it installed they came round tried a few things and then left me with an extra wireless router I could connect up to use as a relay. If nothing else works then worth reporting the issue to see if they can help in some way.

#19 1 year ago
  20. viralshag

@18, I would highly recommend the plug things. I bought a cheap own-brand set from eBuyer ages ago so I have no idea what prices are like or if they still sell them.

It’s worked wonders for me though, I play MP a lot and I never have any issues.

#20 1 year ago
  21. MFBB

#18 same problem in my house, Wlan sucks.

I bought power lan adapters years ago and they are freaking awesome.

Never fail, no problems ever.

I am not loosing any speed or getting a higher latency and they work great everywhere in the house over 3 floors.

In the recent years I helped my brother and some friends, got power lan adapters for them aswell and installed them.

No one has any problems, so much better than Wlan and better than putting lan cables through your walls.

#21 1 year ago
  22. viralshag

@21, Totally agree to all of the above. It’s so amazingly sinmple I have no idea why they’re not more popular.

Wireless is great and all but these things make it all so much easier and stable.

#22 1 year ago
  23. SplatteredHouse

Hooray, I got 9MB down, but 0.9 up (and according to the comparison site, that’s close to the max for my area, if I didn’t sign back up with a provider that gave me a raw deal last time they were my ISP)
    It should be fun trying to Gaikai through that :p

#23 1 year ago
  24. yeoung

2nd highest percentage of broadband adoption, 2nd fastest connection speed in the world, country’s the size of a shoe. Guess the Dutchies will have to wait a bit..

Woe is me.