Witcher 3 behind-closed doors gameplay footage escapes gamescom

Monday, 2nd September 2013 10:27 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay was shown behind closed doors at gamescom 2013. Raw cam footage of the session has leaked online.

You can find the gameplay footage over on VGLeaks, by way of NeoGAF.

Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Dark.

1. sh4dow

Well… they could’ve used an HD camera is what I think.

BUT… Still…

Hot damn! O_O
    Those tree and plant animations look mighty fine. I just hope that they’re also created in a way that won’t make them look like flapping billboards.
    But considering the already great looking plants in Witcher 2, I’m confident that they’ll pull that off.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 You’re absolutely not allowed to film those behind closed doors sessions at all so I’m surprised whoever did this got away with it to begin with.

#2 11 months ago
  3. GrimRita

@2 Indeed. Just a shame the odd few can’t play by the rules. By doing this, he is breaking the level of trust a developer/publisher has in close door activities, therefore making it harder for the media to look at stuff in development.

#3 11 months ago
  4. GregSolidus

It’s no where near that grave.Hell the Deus Ex leak was great publicity back when it happened and that was a whole chunk of a game.

#4 11 months ago
  5. mongbatstar

@3 Out of interest, what’s the advantage of this? If the press can’t discuss what they’re shown then what benefit do they have of it being shown?

#5 11 months ago
  6. GregSolidus

They can discuss it but not show it.

#6 11 months ago
  7. sh4dow

Obviously. So?
    I would find that all the more reason to use decent equipment. IF you risk getting caught, might as well make the most of it.
    But… maybe whoever recorded it didn’t know it would be shown and so he didn’t prepare.

#7 11 months ago
  8. sh4dow

And may I just point out how pathetic I think it is that nobody here even bothers to discuss the actual content of the video. Just the fact that it HAS been recorded. Are you people kidding me?!

#8 11 months ago
  9. TheKeyPit

@6 But people actually want to see how games look like.

#9 11 months ago
  10. GregSolidus

Until they see ONE janky animation and then you get thirty threads on how your game sucks and is a betrayal along with the resulting flame wars on your main forums, no sane dev wants to put up with that.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@7 decent equipment is harder to hide. That’s my point.

#11 11 months ago
  12. sh4dow

And a good one it would be, was it not e.g. for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5isClRnyq0&t=2m15s

At least based on the jerkiness, it seems to me that whoever recorded it, used a phone or some other handheld device that was not attached to his body in a hidden way, like a spy camera or something would be.

#12 11 months ago
  13. NeoSquall

@2 I think I actually saw the dude who filmed it, while waiting in the mini-hall with the beautiful Witcher tabletop game; he left in a hurry from the entrance door, maybe to avoid being caught on the exit.
    Also the devs inside the showing room insisted in telling us to not film anything, so maybe they were already aware someone already did it.

#13 11 months ago
  14. TheWulf

Augh. Was the Left4Dead 3 thing not enough?

Let me preface this by saying that it’s not the fault of VG24/7, hardly, they’re just reporting the news. I actually like that they just report the news. So, nothing to be said there.

As far as this goes, though, I’m a little ashamed of gamers as a whole. We keep doing this, and why? To what end? Doesn’t our conduct matter any more?

I don’t know. The footage is nice, but it’s a shame that it happened.

#14 11 months ago