Kamiya doesn’t “see a Bayonetta 3 happening in the future”

Friday, 30th August 2013 15:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bayonetta 3 isn’t something Platinum Games’ Hideki Kamiya foresees happening in the future, despite the fact “gamers want so many sequels.”

Speaking in an interview with 4Gamers, Kamiya said that while it’s fun to make sequels because developers can use left over ideas scrapped from the original title, he is also keen on creating new IP.

“I don’t really have a problem with making sequels,” he said. “Above all, I want to make games that are fun. This is the most important thing for me. So next to new IP’s, I also like to make sequels.

“With the first title of a new franchise, there are so many good ideas, so many things you want to do. Unfortunately, you can’t use all of them in the game. In the sequel, you can use cancelled ideas from the first game. I do have the feeling most of those ideas are used when you reach the third game though and that developers only make a third game because the fans want it.

“That’s why I don’t really see a Bayonetta 3 happening in the future. I am fortunate that I am able to create many games from scratch.”

Kamiya was also asked about a possible sequel to Okami, something fans have been asking about for years.

“If I am able to, I will definitely make it,” he replied. “But gamers want so many sequels, I don’t even know where to begin.”

Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U-exclusive upon release, and has not been dated.

Via: NeoGAF, Nintendo Life.

1. smashbrolink

Looking forward to Bayonetta 2, but I certainly hope he’ll reconsider making a third entry some time in the future.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    You can also add this:

Case and point: I actually think hes partially right, even though i still don’t like him.

Killzone 3 couldn’t top Killzone 2
    Uncharted 3 couldn’t top Uncharted 2
    Resistance 2 Couldn’t top Resistance 3
    Halo 4 (for some) couldn’t top pre-bungie developed games
    Fable 1 (for some) hasn’t been topped by successors.
    What else is there? Thats all i got.

But basically what he says does make some sense. I wouldn’t say its always the third game though.

#2 1 year ago
  3. wicktus

@3 blame the other for not even giving the opportunity for PG to make a sequel. At least nintendo gave them a chance.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

While I commend his desire to create new IPs instead of creating sequels after sequels (ironic that they are partnering with ninty, the most prolific sequelitis diseased), I will take this as an tacit admission that he (and indeed entire Platinum team) has given up any hope that Bayo 2 will be a success, or even match Bayo1 sales.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sylrissa

@2 Just how many accounts are you going to make?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

Well his name is backup so….

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gheritt White

@2: Tbh, Halo 4 was my favorite Halo experience to date. It just rocked!

Was it as ground-breaking as the first? No. But as a “Halo” experience, it was easily the most polished and well refined.

Halo: Reach does come a *very* close second, though. Halo 2 and 3 were entirely forgettable, IMHO.

#7 1 year ago
  8. FeaturePreacher

There may be no bayonetta 3, but I can’t wait for Bayonetta 2: Ultimate Climax on the ps3 or ps4.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OmegaSlayer

I wonder if the WiiU will survive untiil the release of Bayo2

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Start at 1:06

#10 1 year ago
  11. wildBoar

“exclusive upon release” don’t give us hope steph, it has forsaken these lands.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

Kamiya said this about a Bayonetta 2 happening. He also said that if he made a sequel, he would want Jeanne to be the star and main protagonist. And yet, Bayonetta 2.

#12 1 year ago
  13. antraxsuicide

Exactly. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2, and that’s the only reason it’s happening. It’ll flop, and then Kamiya will say, “I told you that would happen.” to Nintendo.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

Metal Gear Solid 3…best game in the franchise (and, imo, of all time)

All arguments are invalid.

On another note, I do get the feeling that he sees the writing on the wall and if Nintendo are why there’s a Bayonetta 2, he knows it won’t sell well enough for a third one to ever get made.

#14 1 year ago
  15. absolutezero

If that truly is the case then the second one would never have been made at all.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – No, because the deal was signed at a time when it looked like the Wii U might have actually done well. There’s still the faint hope that a game like Bayonetta 2 will turn things around.

Of course, anyone familiar with Platinum’s sales figures or simple logic will realize that this will simply be the niche sequel to a niche game (a game I loved, btw, but not a system seller), but Iwata has made so many mistakes the last few years I do not think he is cognizant of simple logic.

In truth, it wasn’t a bad idea by Nintendo to fund it, because they were trying to catch the hardcore market. Keep in mind, it was shown originally alongside Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge and Zombi U. They were trying to show that they had finally made a system for the hardcore.

Only problem was all of those titles dried up very quickly and now this is one of the few for that market left. Still, there’s the hope that it’ll get people to buy the system.

#16 1 year ago
  17. sebastien rivas

I hear bayonetta this, bayonetta that.

What is bayonetta to you in first place?
    Is it the story,
    gameplay,
    Its mechanics…

What is it?

I just read abotu bayonetta on wiki and it sounds liek it is heavily ported on emotional and story driven game.
    Is this what you all loved about bayonetta? and wish to see again in another form or formulation in bayonetta 2?

after what I read on wiki I consider bayonetta 1 story-wise and it may be hard for 2nd sequel to top it without goignin redundancy or taking lines of story far enough to make gamers ponder where is the connection between the 2.
    This said, it is completely possible to make it happen but as to satisfy every bayonetta lovers…. not so sure.

#17 1 year ago
  18. salarta

Only Kamiya knows what he’s thinking (duh), but I agree that from an outside perspective, it looks to me like he expects Bayonetta 2 isn’t going to sell well. I think this is a result of it being exclusive to Wii U, which is guaranteed to make it have lower sales than Bayonetta, as well as the various complaints about things concerning Bayonetta 2. Some of it is complaints that they’re with Nintendo at all or that they’re not multiplatform, and I’ve had two complaints that I expect others have had as well (I don’t like the changed Bayonetta and Jeanne hairstyles, and I see the game controller screen implementation as a gimmick forced on the game that detracts from the franchise’s very reason for being made gameplay-wise).

I still plan to get it, of course. But even I’m starting to feel less and less like I need to get it day one, and more like I can wait until there are more games on the Wii U that I want to play.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@17 – Emotional and story-driven?!? Wow, you really haven’t played Bayonetta.

The story in it is pretty much a parody of the entire hack and slash genre and it’s more funny than emotion, filled with ridiculously over the top sexuality and constant references to other games made by Sega.

And it’s got the best gameplay in the entire hack and slash genre.

#19 1 year ago
  20. SplatteredHouse

I have not yet grasped the fact that Okami and Otogi, are, sadly two very different things. I keep muddling them. :p Sublimely animated demon hunting > Amaterasu paint-time.

#20 1 year ago
  21. waffleryebread

Bayonetta is great, but I would LOVE to see a sequel to Metal Gear Rising someday. That game took a lot of people by surprise, me included. The most fun I’ve had in a single player game in a long, long time.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OmegaSlayer

Platinum choosing to go exclusive has been a bad move.
    I think that EVERY third party developer going exclusive makes a bad decision actually.
    It only hurts them.
    They lose revenues from the platforms they skip and gain a bad reputation from the players they alienated.
    And for a small developer like Platinum it’s very VERY risky.
    Loads of time I keep hearing: “buy more platforms”, “we’re gamers”, etc…
    That’s ok for those who have loads of free time and doesn’t have to pay bills, which IS a major part of the young audience, but shifts completely when you move to the older audience.

Regarding Bayo2, I’ll repeat my stance.
    It would have been better to keep the IP frozen for a while and release it for everyone at the right time, that feelin’ the hassle to release a product anyway.
    That’s the mistake that was done with Bayo1.

Platinum is very competent gameplay wise, but they surely don’t know how to “work”
    I still wonder how such a small team can work on 3 games at the same time (MGRising, W101 and Bayo2) without compromising quality…though if you keep your eyes open you see reused same assets here and there like textures and stuff, even from youtube videos.

I hope Platinum can pull themselves together with some smart decision, for the sake of the gaming business, but if they shut down because of clearly dumb decisions I won’t shed tears.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Dragon246

^It all depends on how much Ninty paid. I hope they paid a shit ton so that Platinum can enjoy independence and not become clover studio 2 again.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Clupula

@22 – I’m not sure you could say they chose to go exclusive. They kinda get paid to do put stuff where they’re paid to put stuff, you know?

#24 1 year ago
  25. absolutezero

Platinum have already created three games in-sync and only one of them came out slightly sub-par. That was when they first formed aswell.

I would say their reputation was damaged more by allowing Sega to handle the awful PS3 Bayo port than going exclusive with a game that would not have been made otherwise. You think they never asked Sega if they wanted to continue the Bayonetta series? Showed it around other publishers?

It never sold. Mirror’s Edge is another game that apparently has a rabid fanbase eager for more of the series that no one bought in the first place. It’s really really weird.

#25 1 year ago