Saints Row 4 sold over one million units during its launch week

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 20:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Saints Row 4 has sold over one million units during its launch week, Deep Silver has announced along with the news that in the first days of availability, the PC version more than tripled its first week’s sale numbers over Saints Row: The Third.

“We are incredibly happy of the reception for Saints Row IV as a critical and now a commercial success,” said Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of parent company Koch Media. “The development team at Volition is second-to-none as a driving creative force in the entertainment industry and we are very proud to have them as part of the Deep Silver family.”

The Saints Row 4 online community also saw its registrations increase by a million in the first week alone, accounting for over 1.3 million user accounts for the game in total, with custom content equaling 806,908 pieces of new user-generated content since the release of both Inauguration Station and Saints Row 4 itself.

1. Aullah

Its kinda sad…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

finished the game. Liked it but I thought that the Third was much better.

I can’t call this Saints Row IV cause basically it was a DLC.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@2, yeah only recently completed SR3, not sure I really wanna play it again so soon.

It is essentially the same game, let’s be honest. Maybe I’ll give it a go when it’s cheap as chips.

#3 1 year ago
  4. cw5th

Got the Platinum today. Great game.

I have high hopes for the first next-gen Saint’s Row.

@3:

No it’s totally not. Only the city is the same(as was the city in 1 and 2 but nobody mentions that anymore… strange). The powers and the movement alone are a night/day difference to the formula.

I’m really glad that the game is selling as expected. I can’t remember the last time i played a game this much in such a short time.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sylrissa

Glad to hear it!, this an amazingly fun game, my fiance and I are having a ton of fun playing through the co-op

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

I played it and beaten it. I dunno how but I had more technical issues in this game than I did in the previous version. Screen tearing out the wazoo, freezing on more than one occasions, then the framerate was all over the place. The game was fun when it was stable but that was rarely the case. It honestly just felt like a cash grab before GTA V comes out.

#6 1 year ago
  7. CPC_RedDawn

That must be your end I have only come across a few bugs in the game, one game breaking but its rare and the others are just funny and actually add to the humor a lot.

Plus the game runs butter smooth for me at 1080p Ultra settings and it never dips at all below 45fps most the time its at 80fps without vsync. I also get zero tearing that is visible when playing but that maybe due to the fact I’m playing on a decent monitor with excellent response times.

Here is a video I made with a few bugs showed :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

I can play a lot of demanding games with no issues so I find it hard to believe it is my end when Saints ROw series is known for its bugs. They have always been to Bathesda level in their games. I just found it weird that this game that is an obvious Expansion pack from the original game is playing worse than The Third did for me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. loki

fail over 1 million fools bus this crap

#9 1 year ago
  10. Animeboy413

Loki stop hating

#10 1 year ago
  11. Animeboy413

Sales for Saints Row 4 are good. nice to know

#11 1 year ago
  12. Sethos

Terrible shit game that shouldn’t cost more than 15 quid. Only reason why people are buying it is to hold them over until GTA V.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Sylrissa

@12 Funny you should say that, since I actually have no intention of buying GTA V, doesn’t look like fun to me at all, gta games never really appealed to me.

But you don’t see me going around hating on the game just because it isn’t my cup of tea, so stop hating and to each their own.

#13 1 year ago
  14. NeoSquall

Wow, that’s kind of a surprise!
    We should ask ourselves if this hit is just a natural evolution of the player base built upon SR:TT or maybe it’s the result of THQ failing and Volition’s acquisition by Deep Silver.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

I feel so weird saying this but Saints Row IV actually has something in common with art games like Gone Home and Shelter — it’s not for everyone.

The problem with Saints Row is that up until IV it was trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it was casting its net very wide and trying for broad appeal by going for more mundane things. With each game it seemed like Volition was overruling this in favour of something more focused.

Saints Row IV isn’t for everyone. It’s not… It… So I guess I’m saying that I’m so used to mainstream games trying to be the most generic, desaturated, inoffensive thing at this point, that Saints Row IV just doesn’t feel like it is a mainstream game. It doesn’t belong there, it’s not the kind of thing you’d expect.

Look at how desaturated and homogenised games are, from Call of Duty to Assassin’s Creed, essentially they all end up looking and feeling the same, and trying to be inoffensive. They want to give their audience more of the same, but slightly different enough to justify a price tag.

Here’s the thing: Saints Row II fans were hoping that Saints Row IV would set aside this silly notion of vision and making something for the love of making something in favour just making Saints Row II again, since that’s what they wanted. And that’s what all of the complaints have been about, because Benjamin King wasn’t enough, they wanted it to be a slightly silly Grand Theft Auto spoof again. Something down to earth. Something grounded. Something that was easy for them to understand.

Instead, it’s nerd-bait.

It’s filled to the brim with sci-fi silliness, both retro and modern, it’s got spoofs of sci-fi films and games aplenty, even spoofing Star Fox at one point. It’s a love letter to sci-fi fans, which Saints Row II players just didn’t want. It’s also hands down one of the best damned superhero games I’ve ever played, which when combined with the attitude and the personality of the boss is just all the more fun and genuinely amusing. But once again, that’s not what they wanted.

Some people embody homogeneous to such a terrifying degree that they just crave unending, desaturated sameness.

Not me.

Saints Row IV was a good reminder of what a fun video game is. If anything, it reminds me more of the LEGO games than anything else because it is just so genuinely fun. It’s put player agency above all else, and everything you get seems designed to just make the game more and more fun, in this building crescendo of utter joy. It’s grand.

It’s like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction meets The Matrix, with so much sassy humour on top of that.

The following is VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK but it adequately sums it all up.

It’s not for everyone, sure… but bouncing around as a werewolf in a suit with a powertie and a dubstep gun? (A gun of make everything go dancy-flashy-happy-fun as opposed to the usual blood & gore?) Considering that? I just feel like this was made for me.

You spoil me, Volition. And you spoil anyone else interesting enough to enjoy it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheWulf

This is what’s funny: Ask Erth what the best Saints Row game is, and he’ll tell you that it’s II. II was built upon the city of the first Saints Row game, just as IV is built upon the city of III. IV doesn’t use content from III in the same way that II doesn’t from I.

It’s funny how things can colour a person’s perspective and make their biases so completely transparent. Erth prefers the desaturated, dull approach to gaming, I know that already from his obsession with fidelity. It’s also colouring his opinion regarding Saints Row IV, but he can’t actually consciously say that, so he’s just complaining about something that wasn’t a complaint for him about II — of course.

Same with #6, really. I had no problems with the game at all. I know what his real complaint is, but instead we have this lacklustre complaint about performance, and a cheap shot about it being a cashgrab.

Sigh.

I’d have more respect for people if they could just admit their true nature to both others and themselves.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Hcw87

The game DOES run quite bad on consoles, with some severe slowdowns occasionally.

And sure, i enjoy the game for what it is, it reminds me a little of Prototype to be honest, as you’re able to fly around, climbing buildings etc. But that’s pretty much all i enjoy, running around collecting Data Clusters and the activities.

The story is terribad, and i just wish they had a little more humor suited for adults, rather than the teens out there (dubstep gun, dildo’s etc).

#17 1 year ago
  18. budoshi

Put a dildo and cheap jokes and you got 500,000 units sold from day 1..

#18 1 year ago
  19. Kreion

It IS a cashgrab. The studio was in trouble and this game being succesful will help them out of that pit. I’m not saying it being a cashgrab is a bad thing, it keeps the studio alive, but that doesn’t mean I’ll ignore things like the movement being ripped straight from Prototype and the engine being EXACTLY the same as it was before.

But even though I don’t like Saints Row as a series, I hope that the devs can take the money they make from this game and make something more distinct from its predecessor for Saints Row 5.

#19 1 year ago