UK Charts: Saints Row 4 takes first, Splinter Cell: Blacklist in at second

Tuesday, 27th August 2013 09:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Saints Row 4 has stormed to the top of the UK gaming charts, with fellow launch title Splinter Cell: Blacklist in at second. Disney Infinity has debuted at a commendable fourth.

Score-keepers UKIE has confirmed that Saints Row 4 is the UK’s fourth biggest game launch of 2013, behind Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us, yet it has failed to match the opening week sales of Saints Row: The Third.

Meanwhile, a recent report suggested that Disney Infinity has cost Disney $100 million and that failure to ignite sales could force real change at the company.

1. Saints Row IV – Koch Media
  2. Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist – Ubisoft
  3. Disney Infinity – Disney Interactive Studios
  4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition – Microsoft
  5. Call Of Duty: Black Ops II – Activision Blizzard
  6. FIFA 13 – Electronic Arts
  7. Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Nintendo
  8. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – Warner Bros. Interactive
  9. The Last Of Us – Sony Computer Ent.
  10. The Bureau: XCOM Declassified – Take 2
  36. Crysis 3 – Electronic Arts
  37. Planes – Disney Interactive Studios
  38. The Sims 3: Island Paradise – Electronic Arts
  39. Medal Of Honor: Warfighter – Electronic Arts
  40. Dead Island: Riptide – Koch Media

1. Lengendaryboss

Those three titles performed well which is expected because its been marketed heavily on TV here in the UK: The rest is the usual movers and shakers.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Francis O

So how much did Saints Row 4 sell?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Ouch the Wonderful 101 flopped hard, not sure how i missed that.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 because not a lot of people have a Wii U in the UK, which is why I said last week that the game – while published by Nintendo – is a waste having it JUST on that format. It deserves to be played by more people as it’s good.

#4 11 months ago
  5. The_Red

Well done Nintendo, they truly sent The Wonderful 101 to die. No marketing or no ads while also releasing it so close to the similar looking Pikmin 3.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

@Dave
    I know what your saying Dave, but don’t you regret saying that
    “is a waste having it JUST on that format. It deserves to be played by more people as it’s good.”

Caused quite a controversy with that one comment.

Even Pikmin 3 had Ads here in the UK, see nothing for The Wonderful 101.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 Not at all, having it closed to one format literally curbs the amount of people that can play it. It’s a great game that should be enjoyed by millions.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

Okay.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Rockin a Jack D

Same could be said for every exclusive game regardless of the platform.

I thought your article was gaming journalism at it’s poorest. A troll piece to get hits. Basically.

#9 11 months ago
  10. KAP

The fact GTA4 is still in the charts after 5 years is a testiment to how awesome the franchise is, GTA5 will demolish the charts not to mention Saints Row 4 lol

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@9 “Same could be said for every exclusive game regardless of the platform.”

No, it couldn’t, because the Wii U is selling poorly. End of discussion.

It wasn’t a troll piece and I don’t need your traffic.

EDIT:

“You should write an article about what a waste The Last of US, Halo 4, Forza, KillZone, etc, are for being exclusive to Sony/MS platforms and that millions of gamers are missing out because of their exclusivity.”

No, I couldn’t because those formats sell well, therefore those games will be enjoyed by many people.

Are you so blind that you can’t see I like The Wonderful 101 and that I WANT it to sell and be enjoyed by millions of people? It won’t because not that many people own the ONLY format it’s on.

This really isn’t difficult to understand. It really, really, isn’t.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Rockin a Jack D

TW101 was paid for by Nintendo. So the game would’ve never been on other platforms anyway. The article you wrote was a troll piece. Period.

You have a cheek calling yourself a journalist.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@12 Yep, I know it was paid for by Nintendo and it’s great that the game exists at all, but it wasn’t a troll piece because I state repeatedly that I like the game. Hell, I even like Wii U. It’s a neat format that is failing to ignite sales. That’s just hard facts.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to take pot shots at me because I cast dismay over a game you clearly have a hard-on for then do whatever you need to make yourself feel good, even if you look like a dick in the process.

I’m done with this issue.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Rockin a Jack D

The PS4/X1 won’t have a huge install base on release, but Forza 5, etc are exclusive, therefore they are waste by releasing on that platform. That’s what you’re saying.

The Wii U hasn’t even been out a year! Get a grip!

Your article was nothing but Yellow Journalism.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

Give it a rest, your putting words in his mouth: thats not what he is saying. Moving on.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Clupula

Sounds like Jacky has anger issues.

Actually, seems a lot of the Nintendo faithful do…

#16 11 months ago
  17. Clupula

Or he could just be exceedingly stupid and actually not get the difference.

#17 11 months ago
  18. dreamcastnews

Nintendo’s problem for me coming from a retailer standpoint is that when you take early lifecycle published games like Lego City, W101, Pikmin 3 etc they sell poorly due to a low install base within the first year, but like the Wii I can see a trend where if the console does start to take off, will you be able to buy these games new in year 2-3? Of course not. Look at things like Excite Truck, Wing Island, Pangya and others for the Wii that launched in 2006 and by 2008 you couldn’t find a new copy of these games because Nintendo for some reason will print maybe 30,000 copies for Europe and that’s your lot.

Looking at Sony and Microsoft now, most of their games that didn’t sell well to begin with have at least been available for ‘slow-burn’ sales and even in some examples (Heavenly Sword) have been re-issued far later into the life cycle to garner some more sales.

Why Nintendo don’t re-release all the early stuff as ‘All Stars’ rather than the stuff like Mario that’s paid for itself a thousand times over is beyond me. This contributes to Nintendo’s ‘they don’t have any new IP’ argument – there’s plenty of it, they just don’t expose it the way they should be or even give it a chance.

Wonderful 101 was a £34.99 release, how that didn’t sell to every Wii U owner is quite surprising really, I hope Japan can push the sales to at least made it worth making.

EDIT : Clupula, I think the last thing we need is you casually side-swiping those who choose to like Nintendo.

#18 11 months ago
  19. viralshag

@18, Agreed. The problem isn’t Nintendo releasing this game, it’s the fact they’re releasing it into a market of poor console sales. We’ve already heard about retailers dropping the console and games from their shelf space.

In my opinion they needed to get their big hitters out on the system to shift more consoles. Games like Pikmen and W101 are good games but not system sellers.

If the console does pick up, let’s say in six to twelve months, will people still be able to get copies of this game? I reckon doubtful and if so, probably second hand if they’re lucky. I imagine if the console picks up they’ll re-release this in some sort of “platinum range”.

#19 11 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

Wonderful 101 is great, but yeah, I found it hard to see where Dave’s article was coming from.

In a utopian society, there would only be 1 console and everyone could enjoy ever game every made.

Of course that is not the case.

If Wonderful 101 came to other platforms, the Wii U would tank even more than it is already. It needs exclusives like this. Even though this hasen’t sold a shit load, it builds up the profile of a console.

When / if people decide to take the plunge it will be because of games like this.

If it had gone multiplat, well they may as well just scrap the Wii U.

After playing it, Im also suprised by Dave’s idea, I don’t see how the game would even play very well without the Wii U pad. Sure, it could be changed, but then, whats the point of that? Just leave it where it is and enjoy it on a console that costs £200 less than it’s closest ‘next gen’ rival (PS4).

Look at Rayman, that games getting great scores, if Nintendo could have kept that exclusive, it would have been another feather in the cap.

10/10 from Eurogamer, could have really helped the Wii U alot. But now it’s multiplatform, no ones going to give a shit about the Wii U version…

#20 11 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

I might pick up a ‘second copy’. I cans see this one going for £70 on Ebay in a year or so! ;)

#21 11 months ago
  22. dreamcastnews

@19 that’s exactly what they should be doing. These earlier games need to be the ones that Nintendo are shouting from the rooftops with saying ‘look, we’ve got these games as well as Mario’ I have little doubt that the Wii U will pick up once Mario Kart is released, it’s just such as shame that they didn’t just make the machine with a smaller touch screen in the controller, maybe a cheaper RRP from the get-go would have prevented all of this.

Considering I only use the Pro Controller for mine I think we could have got by with Nintendo paying for exclusives rather than trying to forge them with different controller / hardware configurations. They are quite right in going with the stance of coming in late with the tech, some Wii U games look fantastic and this is under a year. The machine shouldn’t have been anymore than £199.99 without that silly controller.

EDIT : @Monkey, I still believe Rayman would have been a system seller temporarily, there should have been a 6 month exclusive on that one really.

I see where Dave is coming from that it’s a shame that the game isn’t being enjoyed by as many as possible, I also see the views from the other side of things where the Wii U needs these sort of games, if not for individual systems sellers but maybe as a collective list of reasons to buy the machine.

#22 11 months ago
  23. viralshag

It’s really not that hard to understand what Dave was saying. Dave can correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is simply him saying it’s a shame that more people won’t play it because it’s on a poorly selling console, not because it’s an exclusive to a Nintendo console.

In fact, it really has nothing to do with Nintendo other than they’re the manufacturer of the console. I’m sure he would say the same if it was on a poorly selling MS or Sony console but that isn’t the case.

At this point it’s not worth mentioning previous MS/Sony exclusives because they launch onto popular platforms and often sell copies in the millions. In a years time, if the PS4/X1 sees a similar situation then sure, compare then.

#23 11 months ago
  24. VibraniumSpork

For my two cents I think W101′S sales results here do bear out Dave’s arguments and I think they’ve been taken way too subjectively; he’s saying that it’s a great game but the lack of people supporting that game’s chosen format would hamper its reach into gamers’ homes/hearts/minds. The above kinda proves it. If The Dark Knight had only been released on VHS it still would have been a great film, but only a few people would have been able to enjoy it. What’s so hard to stomach about that?

In other news…anyone getting a little weirded out (in a good way) by the sudden price drops in top tier games, at least on the internet? Payday 2 – £22.99 (though ‘top tier’ there is questionable). Saints Row IV – £30.00. GTA V – £35 (Amazon pre-order). It’s almost like certain retailers are pre-empting the arrival of next-gen with something of a fire-sale on current-gen software. The consumer wins I guess, but still…I wish prices had been at this level for the last few years rather than just the last few weeks.

#24 11 months ago
  25. VibraniumSpork

@23 +1

#25 11 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

I know what you mean, but news sections are rife with negative (although somewhat true in many cases) news stories about the Wii U.

The same could have been said regarding ANY of it’s ‘exclusive’ titles, non of the have set the world on fire. Likewise with the PS Vita, many titles are great but fail to sell a huge deal.

I think a game like this deserved more of a celebration rather than a focus on who might get to play it.

I’ve read many reviews of the game, and from what I have read, it seems like many people didn’t even understand the concept or mention many of the features (5 player Powerstone style co-op anyone?).

Obviously it’s Dave’s choice as to what articles to write, but I felt it was the ‘easy option’, and ultimatly didn’t do any help to the game.

If he had wanted to see many people try it, maybe the focus should have been on how different and interesting the concept and execution was? Especially on a platform that needs this kind of unique title.

#26 11 months ago
  27. dreamcastnews

@24 when the 360 was first announced and Nintendo and Sony were about to show off their machines, must have been around 2005 I think – most new titles at that point dropped from £39.99 to between £32.99-34.99 in the Gamestation I worked in.

This trend should have been happening this generation too, but retailers like Game are actually pushing the prices up with stupid DLC versions costing us £44.99. Splinter Cell on Wii U is £49.99 in Game yet Zavvi will sell you the same game for £38 – it’s such a massive difference.

I’d happily pay £35 for my new releases and as such, I’ve been doing that with my Wii U games, some of which are costing as little as £29!

#27 11 months ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

It just means you get more bang for your money, nothing wrong that as you say the customer wins in good deals and good value.

#28 11 months ago
  29. dreamcastnews

@26 every format goes through it. I was just thinking that Folklore, Everybody’s Golf World Tour and Eye of Judgment probably didn’t make their money back which in the case of Folklore is a real shame.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Dave Cook

@26 despite saying repeatedly that it’s a great game that deserves to be played by many people?

The hard fact is that the Wii U isn’t selling well. To say otherwise is pretty silly tbh. The game is ace, but the format is slow-burning.

Saying this doesn’t make me anti-Nintendo as I love my Nintendo formats, it makes me someone who can see the harsh reality of the situation instead of kidding myself.

#30 11 months ago
  31. monkeygourmet

I think most people are just waiting for ‘next gen’. I really can’t see what more the Wii U can do to attract people.

Third Party doesn’t matter as most people access those on 360/PS3.

It has many exclusives.

Games are cheap, £30 as you pointed out.

Basically, people just don’t want it!

#31 11 months ago
  32. viralshag

@26, It’s not his job to sell the game for Nintendo, that’s up to them.

Like #18 said this should have at least sold to every WiiU owner and it clearly hasn’t even done that. Dave’s (accurate) opinion of it not reaching the hands of many has been backed up by the (estimated) poor sales we can see here (based on chart positions).

You need to stop linking this as some sort of slight he has made against the WiiU. He stated his opinion, by most accounts he was absolutely right.

#32 11 months ago
  33. dreamcastnews

@31 it’s almost certainly the price of the hardware, I was shocked even back in 2012 when they said it was going to be £300, I thought back then even as a day one Nintendo console purchaser that it was a hard sell.
    If they can find a way to make it £199 for the 32GB and include a demo disc (remember those!) rather than Nintendoland they could go someway to making Wii U a viable second console.

It’s a real shame, I saw the Wii as a real breath of fresh air in a stale video game market, it was so simple yet so radical – it was cheap and the games were there. I don’t understand why this credo wasn’t used for the Wii U!

@30 You’re often reporting on Nintendo news and I can see by your style of writing you’re fond of the company.

#33 11 months ago
  34. monkeygourmet

I know exactly what your saying, just feel the 2 ideas should be seperated.

I think the sales of Rayman Legends should be a good indicator. I almost guarentee the Wii U version will sell like shit compared to 360 / PS3.

Eurogamer even reviewed the 360 version because Ubi didn’t bother to send out the supposdly superior Wii U build?!

So a game that was once exclusive doesn’t even get reviewed on the original system it was intended for! They even mention some bits don’t seem to work aswell on the 360 as it seems like they were designed for Wii U.

Maybe Wonderful 101 would have similar problems if you changed development halfway through?

It’s great that gamers can play it on whatever platform, but doesn’t really help Nintendo out one bit. If anything, it makes their console look weak that they can’t hold onto exclusives.

That is the case in this scenerio, Ubi took it else where (Rayman). But if Bayonetta 2 goes multiplatform, Zombie U etc… What is the point of the Wii U even existing?

Maybe Nintendo should have had Zelda, Mario and more from day 1 to get the install base first. But, it’s a chicken and egg thing now. Such a shame.

Ultimatly, I think the timing of the console was wrong and as Dreamcast said, the initial price was too high.

It needs a serious re-launch at this rate.

#34 11 months ago
  35. dreamcastnews

@34 I can’t see either of those two ever going multi-format to be honest. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta and are overseeing it’s production and Zombi U just seems dated already (could be ported downwards to Vita maybe though)

Nintendo lost Rayman and Ninja Gaiden : Razor’s Edge I assume because it was some sort of honour agreement between those companies and Ninty rather than money being exchanged whereas Nintendo are paying for Platinum to make Bayonetta for Wii U.

Nintendo should really be looking at buying up some small independent studios really, get some extra talent on their payroll and knock out exclusive eShop games that are easily made compared to full-price disc releases, if not to save the Wii U but maybe better prepare for it’s successor – a stitch in time and all that.

#35 11 months ago
  36. Clupula

@18 – Key word is “a lot.” Doesn’t mean all, but when I see Jacky dumbing it up, Francis trolling, Siliconera’s Ishaan banning anyone who says they aren’t Nintendo fans, and the utter horror that is the Wii U board on gamefaqs, I do have to say I see many fans exhibiting a surprising amount of constant hostility. There are still many who can have intelligent debates, but it seems they are declining in number, the worse the Wii U does.

#36 11 months ago
  37. Dragon246

I have said it many times that once either X1 or PS4 exceeds Wii U sales, its DEAD.
    However, I am not sure anymore. Wii U is the most dead platform right now, only supported by ninty hardcore audience (who will probably buy anything with ninty name on it). Neither mario, nor pikmin and most damningly, not even new exciting IPs can save it.
    Japanese 1st week sales are supposedly LESS THAN 10K. Wii U just cant be more dead. A Japanese game made by a Japanese dev cant even sell in Japan.

Super Dead Brother.