GTA 5: Sony apologises for file leak, Rockstar “deeply disappointed”

Sunday, 25th August 2013 23:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has confirmed leaked Grand Theft Auto 5 assets originated with PlayStation Store pre-orders, and apologised to fans. Meanwhile, Rockstar has called on said fans to stop spreading spoilers.

“Regrettably, some people who downloaded the digital pre-order of Grand Theft Auto 5 through the PlayStation Store in Europe were able to access certain GTA V assets. These assets were posted online,” Sony wrote in a post on the PlayStation Blog.

“We have since removed the digital pre-order file from the PlayStation Store in Europe. We sincerely apologise to Rockstar and GTA fans across the world who were exposed to the spoiler content. GTA V is one of the most highly anticipated games of the year with a very passionate following, and we’re looking forward to a historic launch.”

In a comment on Rockstar Newswire, the publisher responded to the leaks.

“As you can imagine, we are deeply disappointed by leaks and spoilers being spread in advance of the game’s launch. GTA 5 represents years of hard work by many people across the world, and we all couldn’t be more excited to finally share it with you properly this September 17.”

Rockstar said it would revoke commenting privileges for those who tried to share links to the leaked assets on its own sites, and thanked fans for their “understanding and support”.

As the upload of pre-release download files suggest, GTA 5 has gone gold ahead of its September 17 release on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, Eurogamer, Joystiq.

1. monkeygourmet

RDR2 confirmed as Xbone timed exclusive.

#1 11 months ago
  2. SlayerGT

This is why we can’t have nice things..because of assholes.

#2 11 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

How did the files leak, just as a result of placing a pre-order? What actually took place. I’ve now read right back to the R* blog, via your source, Joystiq, and the PlayStation blog, and it’s still no more clear!

WHY were people downloading anything to do with GTA V, weeks ahead of its ship date?
    Was there some kind of illegitimate access?
    The articles state that these were people who pre-ordered, so that doesn’t seem likely.
    Was there some kind of poor control of the data in Sony’s care, resulting in the files being accessed without their okay? What were those things even doing at this time, being on the SCEE server!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

@3 it hasn’t been made explicit, but if you pre-order a game on PS3 you can often download a fair whack of it ahead of time, so that when it unlocks on launch day it’s ready to go. It sounds like some clever clogs managed to get into those downloaded files and fish out some interesting bits.

#4 11 months ago
  5. 2-D

Rockstar “deeply disappointed”

Are they getting divorced now?

#5 11 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

@4 Thanks, Brenna :) I’m not that familiar with current PS Store policy and that, so I was just trying to see whether there’s more to this than “Rockstar games got pissed, and Sony apologetic, after pre-launch snafu”.
    @5 Probably not, as Sony stands to gain a lot from the alimony.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Diingo

They’re hardly spoilers, it’s mostly just audio files and the intro loading screenshots.

#7 11 months ago
  8. spazman

rockstar disappointed for what? Cheap b-side tracks; they should be grateful for the free press. Now I got to drive around switching stations every time Britney comes on. Take-two are cheap bitches that’s the real news.

#8 11 months ago
  9. deadflowers

#9 11 months ago
  10. silverstorm

And guys, every spoiler you’ve heard is probably false. They are just rumors and there is no precise way to know if they’re true just by listening to some audio. So discard every spoiler you’ve heard til now.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Diingo

Rockstar may very well release it for Next Gen consoles in about a year. Many people doubt it… but if GTA Online is to last another 5 to 6 years… keeping people on it will require it to be on Next Gen. In time people will slowly but surely abandon current gen.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Kreion

I doubt R* is really disappointed because of that, more that Sony couldn’t even keep their game files under wraps…it’s not a good thing for a company to do. I would say it’s a break of trust, but that doesn’t really exist in the business world – but if you can think of an equivalent then that’s it.

I have to wonder how this happened, I mean I don’t think you can do that wort of thing with Steam pre-downloads? Then again WoW has always been datamined as the patches rolled out so who knows.

Eh, these things happen and it’s not worth the consumers getting worked up over it. As I said it might have more of an impact as to how R* deal with Sony and releases on their platforms in the future. But they’re still gonna be making shit for the PS4 etc.

#12 11 months ago
  13. BurritoZ

this reminds me of when XBL hackers got their hands on that Mass Effect 3 beta. This does seem like a fuck up, but i doubt R* will care in the end since this game will sell extremely well on both consoles.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Mike W

Sony and rockstar both knew the risk of having their customers have the ability to pre-download their copy of the game now……period.

That’s why the whole game isn’t leaked, it’s just some audio files and some stupid ass soundtrack. So I can see why they’re disappointed, because they know both them and Sony messed up. Some of you guys shouldn’t be so naive to think that PSN got hacked or RS is the victim here. Come on people, be smart.

#14 11 months ago
  15. taylorlauder

Sony execs in Europe are stupid as fuck… that’s all I can say.

Releasing the full contents of the game three weeks ahead?

This ain’t Last of Us, this is GTA V… hello? Sony, what the fuck are you thinking?

#15 11 months ago
  16. Mike W

Where are you getting this information that the whole game was leaked?

#16 11 months ago
  17. TMRNetShark

@16 the whole game DID leak. It’s just locked. People are able to look at the game’s scripts and can reveal plot related secrets.

I’ve personally never been a fan of the story of GTA games, but they definitely have amazing characters.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Diingo

The entire game could be leaked on Youtube and people would still buy it. There are no brakes on the GTAV hype train. This sort of accident just fuels the publicity and marketing awareness to consumers since it creates shocking reveals on message boards everywhere. If anything this leak will help sell the game.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Hcw87

According to some sources, the ending have been leaked.

The internet isn’t safe anymore.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Dendroball

The incredible thing was that someone posted a direct link to Sony servers over the GAF boards and anybody was able to freely download the 17 go file. I guess it’s a bit embarassing for all the people working for the security of PSN, some people over GAF said this thing is possible since the beginning of PSN, even more worrying.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Mike W

That’s interesting I was on neogaf this past weekend and never saw anyone post such a thing. The only thing I saw that was posted was the sound track and some audio files. When you pre-load a game off the PSN it partially download a certain portion of that game and the rest will finish closer to the due date. I believe the person on neogaf stated in his/her post that the rest of the leak was encrypted and the game was not playable. So I just find interesting where you guys are getting all this extra information from that the ending is leaked and Sony’s PSN was hacked and their information to their server was posted on neogaf? I’m confused.

#21 11 months ago
  22. Unknown_Gamer

Whoever does that is NOT A NORMAL HACKER , Sony did improve their PSN Security lately and I highly doubt it comes from a group of hackers who works specifically for M$ to do this Disgusting move

whether or not , I highly doubt its from M$ and probably something around them trying to ruin the relationship between Sony and Rockstar

#22 11 months ago
  23. Dendroball

@23 Just to be clear I don’t really know how the link was obtained but from what I understood it was not the result of a hack, it’s just that it was pretty easy to get the URL of the server and anybody using that URL was able to download the 17 go file (I tried myself from my PC and the download started, I cancelled it after). This file like you mentioned was not the final game but a pre load file with some files required to unlock/decrypt it, so it was unplayable but still people managed to extract some information from it. If you didn’t see it on GAF maybe some moderation has been made and I don’t seem to find the thread anymore so I guess it got deleted.

My initial point was that as someone who doesn’t have a PS3, nor having pre ordered GTA V from the PSN, I was able to get the pre load game files directly from the Sony servers as simply as clicking on a URL and initiating a download. Even if the main game is not compromised, it’s still a bit embarassing for Sony that people can access those kind of sensitive files so easily.

#23 11 months ago
  24. xxJPRACERxx

Why everybody called this a leak. It’s not a leak, it’s a pre-load and it’s legal and it happens with a lots of games on PSN and Steam. You don’t need to be a hacker to pre-load a game lol…

And more lol @ 24! Man, are you serious!?! lol

#24 11 months ago
  25. KineticCalvaria

Makes me laugh that PS3fanboy keeps going on about only PC players being hackers… well, yeah.

But of course he will have an excuse for this which still makes Sony the shining light in his eyes, as always.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Mike W

No worries, like I said I was pretty much on Neogaf a good percent of the weekend and I didn’t noticed this URL
    at all (nor was I looking for it). I was trying to make the thread understand that the PSN wasn’t hacked.

#26 11 months ago
  27. smartalves

I’m also deeply disapointed with Rockstar CEO, CIO and all other guys because who have failed us all, by not telling us what are you going to do with PC version or if it will be a PC version at all. Not all of us are console guys (my respect to all owners of that) and we deserve to know the truth.
    Gamers want this and thank god for the leaks because we want to know all about it.
    This story is rather ironic, considering some console fanboys are claiming GTA 5 won’t be coming to PC just because PC gamers are ‘generally pirates’ and thus harmful to the developers. Deadflowers you are absolutely right!! Thank you!!

#27 11 months ago