GameStop has 1.5 million members on PS4 first-to-know list, 700K on Xbox One list

Thursday, 22nd August 2013 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameStop feels the next-gen console launch this holiday season will be “the largest console launch in history.” These words were uttered by GameStop CEO Paul Raines during the company’s Q2 2013 call to investors today. Bartel also said the retailer’s launch allocations for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were “much stronger” than for PS3 and Xbox 360, with the retail chain increasing the supply chain capacity by 60% to ready itself for launch. On the call president Tony Bartel also said that PS4 seemed to be the most popular system with its PowerUp Rewards program members, as firm has 1.5 million members on its PS4 first-to-know list and 700,000 on the Xbox One list. Thanks, GI International.

1. deadstoned

Guess thats what Microsoft gets for taking the hardcore audience for granted, with the consoles first disastrous month of PR blunders.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Gigabomber

PR was bad, but the disappointments with the PS4 will be revealed when they still can’t properly stream netflix.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Francis O

I remember people on this site saying the Xbox One and PS4 have more pre-orders than the total number of Wii U’s sold.

But anyways, good for Sony and MS. I think this gen will take off a bit slow. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are both still capable machines and the majority of the big games coming to Xbox One and PS4 are coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I still haven’t decided which system to get first between the Xbox One and PS4….

I’ll probably wait till Final Fantasy 15 comes out and see which console runs that game the best. Price is a factor as well. PS4 is cheaper.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

What the hell are you on about? PS3 streams netflix just fine.

#4 11 months ago
  5. revsouly

@2, ??

My Roku and Tv App has given me fits, then I used the Ps3 netflix app…

never looked back since

#5 11 months ago
  6. Froseidon

1.5 million is really good, well done to Sony. 700,000 however, still isn’t bad, not by a long shot. The Xbox One will do fine.

#6 11 months ago
  7. TD_Monstrous69

I can’t say this surprises me too much.

#7 11 months ago
  8. pcbros

None of my friends are on a “first-to-know list” or have pre-ordered anything. Yet they will end up buying a XB1 or PS4. So these numbers don’t mean a lot.

It does indicate that there is hype for both systems and that people are interested in both.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Jesus Christ

So Sony’s paying stores to tell lies now? Jesus…

#9 11 months ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

@8 Exactly. Hype. And figures like this can’t be labeled as very scientific anyway. I am a PowerUp Rewards member myself, and have never bothered to be put on any list. I hate lists. :p

#10 11 months ago
  11. Animeboy413

@9, Please shut up nobody tells Gamestop what to do.

#11 11 months ago
  12. DeVitowned

First-to-Know list doesn’t really mean much. Sure, it shows interest, but not necessarily preorder numbers. I have mine preordered from Amazon since it first became preorderable, but I may consider canceling due to first batch always having bugs.

#12 11 months ago
  13. FuntimeBen

Yeah, first-to-know lists do mean nothing particularly, but game pre-orders mean a hell of a lot as it shows peoples stickiness to a console. The PS4 is doing a lot better than the Xbox One in regards to games pre-ordered as of August in the US.

#13 11 months ago
  14. bradk825

Not surprising considering this:

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

That list is a little unbelievable COD on next generation leading in preorders on PS4 rather Xbox One and Killzone Shadow Fall above it: something is up :? Of course keeping in mind this doesn’t translate into sales, or is accurate or is in one region that was Xbox dominated.

Topic is does show which product the customer is interested in more but again doesn’t translate into sales.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Kreion

I wouldn’t trust any pre-order figures right now, it’s just not worth the risk of incorrect info. Plus for all you know they could all be cancelled by next week, it’s unlikely but a possibility.

I’d say wait until the consoles are out and then look at the actual sales figures, which are likely to be more accurate. That’s not to say that PS4 isn’t gaining more people too it at the moment, but just saying that it’s better to stay cautious about internet statistics xD

#16 11 months ago
  17. xXNapsterManXx

What the hell is a First to know list and how does that mean anything.

@1 if anything people on a First to know list from GameStop aren’t the hardcore Sony are going for, the hardcore would be on gaming news sites not waiting for that email from GameStop with 3 day old news.

#17 11 months ago
  18. FuntimeBen

@15 – I don’t think it is all that unbelievable. What this is telling me is 360 owners are not necessarily moving to next-gen right away and instead waiting. PS3 users seem to be moving over to the PS4 as their pre-order sales seem to be down across the board. As a 360 user moving to PS4 this seems fairly consistant with my experiences.

COD is not a system seller the way Killzone, Battlefield 4, or Titanfall are. Most of my 360 friends are not going to buy a Xbox One to play COD as most of their clans are not all moving to the next-gen systems. The thing I do find interesting is I would assume games like Ryse or Titanfall would make an appearance on the list and they haven’t.

#18 11 months ago
  19. FuntimeBen

@16 – I wouldn’t trust a few preorders, but when you see the larger picture it gets a little bleak. I mean who knows. Maybe microsoft are slow to report their numbers and the two consoles are running neck and neck, but it doesn’t look like it.

#19 11 months ago
  20. fearmonkey

I cant wait to see the tallied sales after the holidays. MS is launching in less territories and yet have lower Xbone’s to go around is the impression I am getting, Where PS4′s are launching just about everywhere and have more per store. At least this what my local stores have told me, and that the PS4 is still the most asked about and pre-ordered system.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Kreion

You do understand that less competition = a bad thing, don’t you?

Yeah, like I said, overall the PS4 has the lead but hopefully it won’t be by too much. Sony are already being pretty lethargic with their campaign for the PS4 and I’d prefer BOTH companies strive to keep doing better.

#21 11 months ago
  22. pcbros

@20 – “I cant wait to see the tallied sales after the holidays.”

Why? I’ve owned a PS3 and Xbox 360 for several years and I have ZERO clue who out sold who and by how much. But if sales help you feel better about which console you chose, then so be it.

Why do people pick sides? It’s not like Sony or Microsoft are going to send you some money for being loyal.

#22 11 months ago
  23. sebastien rivas

@ 20 and @ 22

Both MS and Sony would get back on their feet pretty quickly even if their console have a huge false start or a flat pulse at launch.

They would loose money which would make their teeth grind hard but not to the point where they have to dissolve the rights or sell the rights.

On the other hand, Fearmonkey is right to keep an eye on sells overall. It is a serious indication if 3rd party AAA developers will be working on their platform. Although even if Sony beats MS by 15 millions units worldwide, what depends much and most is how many units MS sold. So really who beats who does not matter much unless like Ouya you start launch with a flat pulse (not enough units sold) and almost no 3rd party developers jump in the bandwagon.
    It is all connected and yes competition is fierce but competition is needed at many level.
    Think of why would you spend more if you can spend less and still have same result and you know they all would come to you anyway. (monopoly strategy)
    Now think that you have a competitor, of course you don’t want to go bankrupt so you plannify before you launch your new toy and a good cash for PR but again just enough to overcome or best the competitor, nothing more because you absolutelty want to make profit as fast as you can.

It is a very very basic understanding but that is why you hear here and there that competition is needed
    all spending ideas goes toeward PR – R&D, and all this goes in hand with paying thousands of emplyees for a period of worked time. So you better have a back up plan just in case you have a flat pulse at start, I am not worried for MS nor Sony on that matter.

#23 11 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

@21 – Of course, but I want MS to be humbled so they come back stronger and less “MS”. I couldn’t stand Sony in the PS2 and PS3 years, and now Sony is better after eating humble pie. After all these months of the 360 being on top selling wise, id be great to see Sony wipe that smirk off their face.

@22 – See above for my reasons…I am no fanboy, or I would be sticking with Xbox as I have not owned a PS at launch since the original PS. I hated MS’s decisions and attitude during the Xbox Reveal and I want to see them have to work hard to get their customers back.

So yes, I love competition, it made Sony better for the PS4, and made the Xbox One better and hopefully whatever comes after.

#24 11 months ago
  25. pcbros

@24 – They did do a complete 180 on their policies in response to Sony.

I hope they both sell equally and competition stays strong. I want price drops, updates and killer first-party games.

I like videogames… not companies :)

#25 11 months ago
  26. tracyis300

Are they talking about new PowerUp members or all in total?
    I am a PowerUp member for some years now and even though i didn’t sign up for this “news”
    I still get emails about both next gen consoles.
    Some of the truth is being hidden

#26 11 months ago
  27. cartina

The true number for Ps4 was revealed at gamescom AFAIK. Ps4 has about 1m preorders worldwide. To put this in comparison:

ps3 sold 3m copies first year
    xbox360 sold 1.5m first year
    wii sold 10m first 18 months (thanks japan)
    Wii U doesn’t sell at all.

So it is very solid preorders. Biggest console launch ever? No doubt.

#27 11 months ago
  28. lookingglass

There are more poor people than other people.

There are more stupid people than smart people.

Science.