Tue, Aug 20, 2013 | 23:27 BST
Battlefield 4 gamescom 2013: open beta in October, BF4 Premium detailed
DICE’s Karl Magnus Troedsson introduced Battlefield 4 during EA’s gamescom press event, stating the game will go into beta in October. He also discussed Levolution, which has been detailed before, but he went into even more detail on it – which means no two games will be the same.
A new mode called Obliteration was also discussed briefly, which includes random bomb spawning, and is developed in the style of “Capture the Flag”. Basically, you are tasked with destroying the enemy target before they get to yours, and you only have “one bomb between you.”
An air and sea battle multiplayer video was shown called Paracel Storm; it’s posted below.
EA discussed something called Battlepacks, which add persistence and chance to multiplayer progression. During multiplayer, players will receive packs stuffed with a random assortment of new camos, dog tags, knives, XP boosts and gun attachments.
The Battlefield 4 multiplayer beta which kicks off in early October and will be exclusive for Battlefield 3 Premium owners, those that pre-ordered Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe, and owners of Medal of Honor Warfighter Digital Deluxe and Medal of Honor Warfighter Limited Edition for three days. After that, it will be open to everyone on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. The beta will include the Siege of Shanghai map on the popular Conquest mode and Levolution.
Battlefield 4 will be available October 29 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. It;s also coming to PS4 and Xbox one, but has not been dated; stats will be transferrable from current-gen to next-gen.
Battlefield 4 Premium
Battlefield 4 Premium was also detailed – it’s an “exclusive club” for everyone who has “played and loved” the series. It offers new updates every week, and early access to all new content. Members will receive five themed digital expansion packs – Battlefield 4 China Rising, Battlefield 4 Second Assault, Battlefield 4 Naval Strike, Battlefield 4 Dragon’s Teeth and Battlefield 4 Final Stand – as well as unique personalization options.
“Fan reaction to Battlefield 3 Premium has been nothing short of amazing. We are humbled to see more than 4 million people join in,” executive producer Patrick Bach said.
“With Battlefield 4 Premium we continue to roll out the red carpet, treating our fans like VIPs with a massive amount of new gameplay, exclusive new content and even more benefits at an incredible value.”
Here’s the full skinny on Premium:
- Battlefield 4 Premium membership includes five digital expansion packs featuring new multiplayer maps and in-game content:
– Battlefield 4 Second Assault – Includes four fan-favorite Battlefield 3 maps now re-imagined with the power of Frostbite 3. Available first on Xbox One.
– Battlefield 4 China Rising – Players fight for dominance across the vast and majestic Chinese mainland. Available December 2013.
– Battlefield 4 Naval Strike – Experience dynamic ocean combat as the Chinese armada takes the fight to the sea. Available Spring 2014.
– Battlefield 4 Dragon’s Teeth – The US strikes back engaging in all-out urban warfare. Available Summer 2014.
– Battlefield 4 Final Stand – Bring the war to its epic conclusion. Available Summer 2014.
- Two-weeks early access to all expansion packs for that competitive edge
- Unique personalization options including camos, paints, emblems, dogtags and more
- Priority position in server queues
- New content every week
- 12 bonus Battlefield 4 Battlepacks
- Transfer Battlefield 4 Premium membership from Xbox 360 to Xbox One and PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4