Arkane Austin making Prey 2, according to leaked email

Thursday, 15th August 2013 21:07 GMT By Phil Owen

Kotaku has obtained an internal email sent by Arkane creative director Ralph Colantonio from May of this year declaring that the Austin studio would be making Prey 2, and it would be a totally new thing, and also “spiritual successor to System Shock 3.” If that’s a typo, it’s Colantonio’s and not mine.

This news comes after Colantonio told Rock Paper Shotgun, in a piece published yesterday, that he has no idea why anyone would think that.

Kotaku also obtained a second email from Colantionio, sent after the rumors began, telling employees to to not talk to the “press sneak fucks” who asked questions.

So why the cover up? I honestly don’t care enough to speculate. The major publishers love to hide things. Oh well.

1. Pytox

system shock like wtf why not like prey 1??? ;x

#1 11 months ago
  2. Citrus raptor

1@ Exacly. Out of all the video game mentalities that I dislike, the one I find the most annoying is the belief that a game only is its art direction/story/surface, and not its gameplay.

The industry must learn to respect the various IPs; let them be their own, and be less driven by trend and popularity. It’s kind of an obvious observaion, but an important one none the less.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Edo

The situation with Prey 2 at this point is beyond ridiculous,it looked so good…what’s the real deal behind it never being released in the way Human Head intended it to be…did the game really look that bad that even Bethesda didn’t want it to be released or did Human Head simply refused to be bought by them and therefore suffered the wrath of the corporate gods……we may never find out.

#3 11 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

Greedy fucking assholes.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Kristian

Well Bethesda lied about it moving to Arkane Austin, so they don’t get the benefit of the oudbt with regards to their quality claims.

#5 11 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

Prey has never had an easy time it seems.

The original game got canned then finally made with a different lead character. It was all about Portals.

I loved the game when it was released, and at the end they hinted at a continuing story. I was surprised at the direction the next game was going to take, with it being a different character and being an open world alien bounty hunter.

Now its going to be more like system shock 2 which is still not like the original game, and possibly still wont use the character from the first game? If it doesnt feature Tommy, and is not a continuation of the first games story, then why even call it Prey?

#6 11 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Yep, Bethesda’s been taking steps down into the pit where the rest of the big publishers sit for a while, now. Shame, really, but not surprising.

Human nature is cruelty to other humans. It was recently discovered that when you put a human in authority, the parts of the brain designated to processing little things like empathy and compassion take a sharp dive. Essentially? Authority equals sociopathy. That is human nature.

#7 11 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

“And you people wonder why I hate cults of popularity and the like. I don’t want to be important because I’m quite happy with my personality as it is, thank you.”

Weird, you really seem to think of yourself as someone important. I don’t think you can really choose to be important. Either you are or you are not.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ali

Well that is stupid. Prey isn’t a great selling IP and I don’t think it is very recognizable outside the internet. When it comes to the die hard followers, I am not really sure how they will love the final thing when they have loved the first direction so much.

And then you have a talented team with the potential of doing something new and creative only to force a lot of elements that don’t belong just to remind us it is a Prey game.

#9 11 months ago
  10. OmegaSlayer

Press sneak fuck

#10 11 months ago
  11. penniman

Spiritual successor to system shock 3? What happened to the 2nd and they don’t have the rights to the system shock franchise, unless they bought it from the bank.. I am just so confused from this thread anyway.. Didn’t bethesda say Arkane was not working on it? How often to they lie in that way? I know they appear to be lying about a lot of things but usually its just them not getting around to it..

#11 11 months ago