The Wonderful 101 demo now available though eShop in Europe and Japan

Friday, 9th August 2013 15:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During the Nintendo Direct session today focused entirely on Platinum Games’ The Wonderful 101, the game’ combat system was explained along with the announcement that demo is now available through the eShop in Europe and Japan. No word on when it will be coming stateside just yet, but the game is out in North America on September 15. You can watch a the Nintendo Direct session and another video for the game below.

1. DrDamn

Oh nice. Perhaps the publishers can learn a thing or two about their own games. Hmmm? You listening Nintendo?

#1 12 months ago
  2. sebastien rivas

Wooowww So glad some can still make fun game, emotionally appealing and visually attractive games!

My kid would love this and so would I ;)

#2 12 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

Someone give us some feedback please. Being in NA I can’t get at it.

#3 12 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Sweet!

Downloading now…

#4 12 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Downloading now, along with Art Academy, Good start to the weekend! ;)

#5 12 months ago
  6. Tyrantsoul

Wow having just played the demo all I can say is I’m disappointed.The combat was nowhere near as fun as it looked to be.And why oh why is the background and anything a few feet from your characters blurred?I did like the music though and the Newspaper headline victory screen.I think I will pass on this which is a shame as it was one of my most anticipated games for Wii U this year.It just does not feel like a Platinum games game.

Oh well bring on Zelda HD and Sonic.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

A demo is not a good indicator on whether a game is good enough or not: sometimes by taking the plunge can be very beneficial or not or looking at a playthrough which can help solidify your purchase.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Francis O

@6 Tyrantsoul

How many powers did you have access to in the demo?

#8 12 months ago
  9. maxroy

I just played through the demo twice once on the tv and on the gamepad.
    As a lefty I feared the idea of having to draw the lines with my right hand like in most Nintendo games, but was reassured when you can easily use the right analog stick instead. However you can’t draw lines on the gamepad while playing offscreen.

The combat is great once you get the hang of it, knowing when to dodge and counter is vital so your not constantly having to regroup your party when they get knocked around like a bunch of pins. You’ll be frantically dodging moves with precision and setting up a follow up attack using the various powers while once in a while a QTE will pop up (also lots of spinning anolog sticks) So lovers of Bayonetta will be right at home.

In the demo you only have access to Unite Sword and Gun all with various pros and cons like the gun for instance is a powerful shot but you’re using your squad as ammo so it gets weaker as you use it. The demo stage goes for about 15 minutes and mainly consists of battle arenas and one puzzle (the combination one that was talked about at E3) so nothing on the story, not even a sign of the character banter that sold me in the trailers.

The party of heroes you travel with (that aren’t the basic civilian types) are quirky looking but easily get lost when in the heat of combat although the game does highlight every new unique hero that joins your team so that’s nice.

The demo also includes a multiplayer mission but I haven’t been able to see what that’s like just yet but other then that 101 is looking pretty solid.

#9 12 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

I’ve just played the demo, and; it’s damn fine!

This game made me feel exactly like when I played a DS game that ‘worked’…

It just feels great…

Fantastic gameplay, and very tough combat IMO. It captures the DS feel into the Wii U, exaclty what it needed.

The touchscreen is integral and fun to the experience, if more dev’s treat the Wii U like a DS, it canonly be a good thing! :)

#10 12 months ago
  11. OlderGamer

I hope the demo comes stateside. Thanx for the feedback fellas.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Francis O

The demo is fantastic! Just got done playing the story mode, tackling the mission mode right now.

This game is fantastic, such a change of pace from Pikmin 3. I love it though.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@OlderGamer
    It is available stateside (in case you didn’t know)

#13 12 months ago
  14. mistermogul

Really liked the demo and I’m definitely grabbing this.

It’s refreshing to play something original and I love the craziness of Platinum games.

Good stuff…

#14 12 months ago
  15. DrDamn

Game seemed very nice, very poor tutorial in the demo though. It just filled 1/4 of the screen with random commands which you could use. Could really have done with a proper tutorial. Gameplay not really my thing but can see how some would really like it. Great presentation and art design.

#15 12 months ago