PS4 dev kit interface shown during Blacklight: Retribution demo

Wednesday, 7th August 2013 11:26 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s dev kit interface has been shown during a demo by Blacklight: Retribution developer Zombie Studios.

The clip comes courtesy of MoejoeWins, although it’s unclear where it originated from. If you happen to know, please do shoot us a comment. We suspect it came from part of Machinima’s recent Blacklight: Retribution PS4 live stream, which you can find here.

The UI can be seen locking up – as this is a very early dev kit and pre-alpha build of the game – but it seems to recover quite well. You can also see interface icons and hear some responsive sounds throughout the clip. There also appears to be icons for a web browser and downloads.

What do you think?

Thanks Ed Norton.

1. Lengendaryboss

It looks cool but i am going to miss the XMB.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

No xmb! ? ? wtf thats a stinker. . . one more reason not to buy it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Fethennour

What part of “dev kit” don’t you understand ?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

What do you mean?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Djoenz

lol Im not planning to get a ps4 anyway was just joking. Im sticking to current gen as long as possible.

Isnt it likely they will stick to this layout/interface instead of xmb?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Christopher Jack

They’ve already shown the interface. More tiles bullshit. Granted it isn’t too terrible to navigate with a controller, just guess I’m old fashioned & prefer detailed lists vs this awful icon/tile phad.

If I’m navigating an interface, I want it as fast & simple as possible- tiles are fine for a touch screen but are bullshit on a normal PC. Don’t feel strongly either way for console since you’re navigating purely with directional buttons. Just built a new gaming desktop, clearly no surprises that I went with Win7. Still have Win8 on my laptop & man it frustrates me at times. Anyone here that games with Win8 have their games minimized when they click in the bottom left?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Exactly.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Christopher Jack

Now that I think of it, there was really nothing wrong with XMB, it was certainly simpler & less intrusive than Xbox 360′s GUI imo.
    Personally, my prime interface would be a simple A-Z vertical list, click right to expand that list & left to head back.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

The complaints i heard was “Slow, simplistic and boring to look at” But you can get past those issues though.

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

what i LOVE about the XMB are the gameplay clips that pop up when you scroll over the game icon and the picture that appears in the background. loved that on the psp too and i am still sad this isn´t on the vita. it´s just a cool feature.
    looks like it´s gone for ps4 as well :(

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

The Vita has the LiveArea screen which has a game related background. I like these as it allows cunning stuff like launching the game straight into specific modes. This is being replicated functionally in the PS4 UI.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Christopher Jack

@9, Well nothing fundamentally wrong. It’s in game slowness was due to performance limitations, some handled it well though. I certainly didn’t notice any performance drops outside of gaming in the XMB. As for simplistic, I actually prefer it simple, sure I like details but I don’t like being swarmed with pictures & irrelevant crap. As for boring, well even I agree with that- I liked the dynamic wallpaper but the GUI could have used some sprucing up beyond those custom themes.

#12 1 year ago
  13. xino

that actually looks cool!

i still love XMB.

but this version is DEFINITELY better than the ones we’ve seen @ E3.
    I hate them so much, just a Metro rip off.

with this cool one, you can use Dynamic theme

#13 1 year ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

My only problem with it, is that it looks very dark, although I’m fairly certain that could be sorted by changing the colour scheme/customization options.

But otherwise, it looks good to me! :)

#14 1 year ago