Volition responds to criticisms of dildo bat

Friday, 2nd August 2013 10:28 GMT By Dave Owen

Saints Row IV has been getting a hard time from some quarters lately, and Volition has responded in a Reddit AMA to criticisms of the game’s now infamous ‘dildo bat.’

The AMA was manned by senior producer Jim Boone and design director Scott Phillip.

“I think of this along the lines of motion pictures,” said Boone when asked about the offending weapon. “”I just can’t imagine Hollywood suddenly deciding that movies like The Hangover shouldn’t come out because it is immature. Sure, it may not win an Oscar, but it sure is funny as hell and amazingly entertaining. People won’t all feel the same way about that movie as I do, but that doesn’t mean the movie shouldn’t be made.”

Phillips added “”We need to make Saints Row, not a game someone else is already making. As Jim said earlier, you wouldn’t want to see the same movie over and over again; sometimes you need a drama and sometimes you need a comedy, and Saints Row delivers something that players clearly want and aren’t getting elsewhere.”

Saints Row IV has had other difficulties, struggling to get classified in Australia. This was partly due to the inclusion of the ‘Rectifier’ anal probe weapon that will come with a DLC pack. After some modifications, it was this morning given an MA15+ rating.

What do you think? Offensive or harmless fun?

Thanks, GameSpot.

1. Fin

I think if games want to grow up as a medium, they shouldn’t really have weapons like a dildo bat.

Games like SR (+the “outrage” when it gets banned) makes the games community look like immature frat boys.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

I don’t play the Saint’s Row games, because I found SR2 to be poorly made and focused almost 100% on puerile humor that I just didn’t find funny.

And you know what? I’m okay with that. And they should be too. There’s no need for them to remove the dildo bats or change the series to appeal to people who wouldn’t play it. It is what it is. There are plenty of games that appeal to what I do want.

I wouldn’t expect them to change what they like doing for my benefit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. cw5th

@ 1:

Because silly over the top movies/books/entertainment doesn’t exist?

What a load of bulls..t.

If you don’t like it then by all means don’t buy it. If the market doesn’t like the Dildo-Bat then it will not return.

“Citizen Kane” is in the same entertainment industry as “American Pie”. “To kill a mockingbird” is in the same as “a compulation of fart jokes”…

The existence of one doens’t mean that there won’t be a masterpiece full of thoughtprovoking stuff in the same medium.

And the world isn’t as black/white as you made it out to be in your comment.

I reread Faust on an yearly basis but that doesn’t mean that i sometimes don’t like fart jokes as well…

#3 1 year ago
  4. NeoSquall

I think that all this quarrel about the dildo sword (not bat) and the anal probe weapon are just moral faggotry from a (minor) fraction of the community.
    All the “great mediums” like cinema and books have their “saints row-style” iterations, which themselves constitute a part of the “medium spectrum”, usually the lowest.
    Having a “low point” is useful to recognize where’s the high, opposite point of the spectrum.

Given this, wanting to “get rid of the low point for the sake of the medium maturity” is itself an immature way of thinking that only wants to see “nice things” in an art form.

#4 1 year ago
  5. roadkill

@1 I don’t like this game. You know what I do with games I don’t like? I DON’T PLAY THEM!! Do the same and stop preaching bullshit. Respect other people and their preferences!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

Films and books (and music) are already respected mediums. They have Francis Ford Coppolla/The Godfather and James Joyce/Ulysses and Bob Dylan/Like a Rolling Stone – I realise these are all quite old, but modern versions exist too, obviously.
    Games are not respected and do not have a touchstone.

What you think is going to catch the public’s attention more? “OZ BANS DILDO BAT GAME” (SR4) or “GAME LETS YOU PLAY AS A FATHER TRYING TO COME TO TERMS WITH THE LOSS OF HIS DAUGHTER” (Last of Us) Which would you want to reflect the industry and the medium?

In terms of “get rid of the low point for the sake of the medium maturity”, my god I would ban the fuck out of Adam Sandler, Dan Brown and will.i.am from their respective mediums, if I could.

Games have to grow up, and they have to start somewhere.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GwynbleiddiuM

“Saints Row delivers something that players clearly want and aren’t getting elsewhere.”

And that is a Dildo bat!?

Well I don’t really care if the game has a dildo bat or not, it is certainly not the first game to have a dildo. But I’d prefer a game of that size to have a diverse story telling mechanics rather than sacrificing everything in order to have an attempt at being hilarious.

SR3 certainly had quite funny moments but is that a good thing when the story was… I don’t even know what it was!

#7 1 year ago
  8. absolutezero

You know before most of the modern mediums of entertainment were respected there were people plugging away doing nasty offensive shit for a small audience of fellow depraved individuals.

The moral majority tried to stop them aswell, some got arrested, some got banned.

It never made a difference in the end. Video games will not automatically evolve into the next stage of human experience because you remove things from them. Be that anything that the original creator wanted to include, offensive, stupid or otherwise.

#8 1 year ago
  9. bradk825

If it was in a movie nobody would give a fuck. That argument alone makes it fair game.

Personally I don’t find it that funny, but that’s beside the point. Games are a form of fictional entertainment like movies or novels. If you wouldn’t complain about it in a movie, STFU when it’s in a game.

#9 1 year ago
  10. sh4dow

@9:

It’s an invalid argument.
    At least I don’t know of any popular comedy that portrayed anal rape.

Although I have to admit… a lot of people in the cinema did laugh when that woman was raped in “The Hills Have Eyes II” (the 2007 one). Wasn’t actually supposed to be funny though…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dragon246

Whatever, its just a game.

On it being denied rating, it was probably just a PR move by Koch.

#11 1 year ago
  12. JimKieger

@1 So nothing immature could ever be made in another wonderful medium with the boundless possibilities they have?

As much as I liked Citizen Kane and Back To The Future, Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle is still insanely funny to me.

If you can’t laugh at a scene like this, you’re way to strung up to enjoy a medium properly.

Also, Shakespeare wasn’t above using fart jokes in his own play’s.

#12 1 year ago
  13. fihar

Harold and Kumar might be cheap but it’s way better than almost everything Adam Sandler has ever done.

You can’t use SR3 as a representation for an entire industry though. To say that the industry is immature just because one popular franchise refuses to grow up shows how completely narrow-minded you are.

#13 1 year ago
  14. OrbitMonkey

I remember some guy getting beaten to death by a dildo in Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Where was your moral outrage then internet?

#14 1 year ago
  15. sh4dow

Dude… are you really THAT dense?
    Why would people be outraged about that? WHEN was being beaten to death by a dildo (or being beaten with one, period) ever a commonly occurring event in real life?!
    Plus, I have not seen the movie but does the context make it seem like it is a great and funny thing to do?

#15 1 year ago
  16. OrbitMonkey

^ Lock Stock is a comedy so you figure out how it’s portrayed :)

One of many very good scenes using excessive violence to entertain & no-one batted an eye… Saints introduce one anal probe gun & instant drama!

#16 1 year ago